Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any benefits to going from a 13 auto R/T to a 14 6 speed car ? how do these 2 different transmissions compare ? any special problems with the manual cars over the auto cars other than eliminating the MDS in the autos.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
auto 5 speed trans vs manual 6 spd trans

Problems with the manual cars? Interesting question, as I don't see any problems at all. On the other hand, if I had a nickel for every time somebody complains about the MDS of the auto trans then I'd probably be a wealthy man. ha!

Everybody says that the auto trans makes for a quicker car, and that's fine, but I would not even consider owning an auto-trans Challenger----the 6 spd is simply way too much fun to drive and it even sounds better from the factory due to the different muffler arrangement.

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
Way to go Bert. I had a 2010 and 2012 with the 6-speed before I got the 2013 auto. I miss the 6-speed and I will go back to that next time. I had no problem with the 6-speed. Mine were pretty smooth and I only had that stupid skip shift engage two or three times. If it engages for you and you don't put a skip shift eliminator on it, simply wait another second of accelleration before shifting out of first and you'll be out of the narrow RPM/speed band where it engages.

·
Super Moderator
16,623 Posts
Generally, the mileage is higher (if you drive 'normally') and especially so on highway drives, since there's two overdrives and keep rpm low at highway speeds.

If you're not planning on running a tune, get the skip-shift eliminator (dongle) - the 1 > 4 skip shift is annoying if that kicks in during in-town drivng. A number of vendors on CT sell them - takes 10 minutes to plug it it [easier if the car is on a lift].

Shifting to 4th (1:1 gear) @ 19-22 mph will kill the acceleration...and its usually when you don't expect it, driving leisurely around town. No one would naturally shift like that.

Most tuners eliminate the skip-shift, but if you're not going that route...the dongle is inexpensive.
It was the first thing I installed when I got the car home.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
The only real issue I could report with the 6spd would be the cold 2nd gear nibble. When cold, on the 1-2shift if you're not paying attention it can be easy to scratch it a bit going into 2nd. Goes away completely when warm. Other than that I have no compliants.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
The M6 is a "Viper" tranny...built like a tank

The Auto is faster...but if you are good at launching...you can narrow the gap to maybe 0.2 seconds 0-60. Ask yourself this...did you buy the car to have FUN? Or are you an INVALID? I see so many posts by guys my age saying that "it hurts to shift in heavy traffic." Whatever, get the M6. You will NOT regret it. I daily drive an M6 SRT in heavy traffic. Love it. The day I'm too fat or weak to drive one...is the day I get a Nissan or Subaru....or maybe stop eating too much...and start working out. The new "30 is 55?"

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
. . . The day I'm too fat or weak to drive one...is the day I get a Nissan or Subaru....or maybe stop eating too much...and start working out. . . .

LMAO! :icon_lol:

I too would only buy a manually shifted Challenger. The clutch is really light compared to cars of "yesteryear."

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do any of you guys have the whining differential that some guys say happens after experiencing wheel hop ? something about a bearing in the diff that gets misaligned or something like that that they take back to the dealer who either fixes it or replace the differential. I have read in the forum here that some guys had a quiet diff. until wheel hop. I just want to get away from MDS. turning mds off or using auto stick to keep it off means that even though it is deactivated, the MDS is still in the engine, & turning it off permanately may in my opinion, cause its own problem over time. I know there are special oiling holes that the 6SPDs have plugged up by the factory. I wonder IF the oil or whatever goes through those holes or ports is stopped, if that would dry out any seals in the path of the oil that goes there?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Get the 6 speed. Learn to drive it well and enjoy.

You can thank us later.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
407 Posts
If your thinking about it, you know you really want it.

What's holding you back? If it's stop and go freeway traffic, take it from me it doesn't matter. You merely change your technique, gap the car in front of you, and let the RT idle down the road. Unlike an automatic, it wont accelerate and frankly you wind up using your brakes much less, and the RT has so much torque you have to work at stalling it. I'm much more relaxed in stop and go freeway traffic now instead of having my grill glued to the car in front of me with my foot constantly on the brake. I have a 2013, bought 8/13, now at 24500 miles.

So unless your looking for consistent, fast runs in the 1/4 mile at the track, the manual makes every drive an involved, satisfying driver experience. I look forward to driving..and I gotta go!

·
Registered
627 Posts
You wanna have a lot more fun get a 6speed end of discussion

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Super Moderator
16,623 Posts
I know there are special oiling holes that the 6SPDs have plugged up by the factory. I wonder IF the oil or whatever goes through those holes or ports is stopped, if that would dry out any seals in the path of the oil that goes there?
The plugs in the 6-speed (non MDS) engines use an o-ring and clamp similar to the solenoid / clamp setup. These bores are located above the lifter bore for the respective lifter if MDS was installed.

On the non-MDS 5.7, it simply seals the top of the valley from having an oil leak. The non-MDS engine uses conventional roller hydraulic lifters for each cylinder.

Those white color plugs are where the MDS solenoids would be located

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...m%2F142836-mds-sensor-what-is-it.html;800;600

Here's what the bore plugs look like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ima..._6_1L_MDS_Block_Plug_p%2Fmds-plug.htm;500;500

Reactions: Slidd

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
also isnt it true you can get the 3.92 axel with the 6 speed trans only
Yes, unless something changes for 2015. There are 3 disadvantages to the 6 speed. The clutch is only warranted for 12,000 miles, axle hop can be an real issue if you drag race and again if you drag race the auto is faster.
The advantages to the 6 speed are a higher top end, a lot less rpms at cruising speed, usually better gas mileage (may not hold true vs the new 8 speed).

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The 6spd is just plain more fun to drive---I seriously cannot imagine owning/driving my Challenger with an auto trans. And there's no worry about that awful MDS that many who own an auto complain about after they move to an aftermarket exhaust.

In the end, to each his own.

·
Premium Member
7,318 Posts
also isnt it true you can get the 3.92 axel with the 6 speed trans only
From 2009 to 2014 if you buy the 6-speed, you get the 3.92 gears if you have 20" wheels and 3.73 gears if you have 18" wheels.

For 2015 it looks like only the base SXT version gets 18" wheels and all the R/T's get 20" wheels (bummer for me :( ).

·
Registered
79 Posts
From 2009 to 2014 if you buy the 6-speed, you get the 3.92 gears if you have 20" wheels and 3.73 gears if you have 18" wheels.
Except for an unknown number of 2013 RT Classics with 6-speed and Daytona 20" wheels (black pockets) where the 3.73 gears were mistakenly installed by the factory.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts