Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife gave me the okay to buy a new or used Challenger!!! :thumbsup:

She even said, I can't really see you being happy with anything less. I know, can you believe it!!!

So, my situation is this, I got an 05 MonteCarlo Supercharged SS 2SS pack with all options that I want to sell or trade. Has 95K miles on it and a GM MajorGuard warranty covering it bumper to bumper to 105K and expires August. Super clean no dents or dings never been painted. Been to florida 7 times in this baby and I got a highway commute, still on original brake pads so truely highway miles. Nevertheless, I think I can get 10 for it outright and probably somewhere around $8500 because of the miles. Maybe?? Anyway my plan is to get a quote from CarMax then spend the day checking out various Challenger RT's
Also have 5 Grand to put down.

My question is about Options and price. I want payments to be under $300

Looking at both Manual and Autos, prefer manual but wife can't drive a stick but says I should get what I want... gosh I love her!

My thoughts are, I do like auto start and Managed fuel system which I was told is only with Auto's but when I drove a couple challengers last year, an SRT AUTO and an RT Manual, I liked the feel of the manual much better. I thought the engine RPM hung a bit when shifting but probably something I could get used to.

I am thinking NO sunroof, it looks like it takes up headroom?
I am thinking who cares about GPS but I do like satellite radio
My Monte SS has leather but I find the cloth interior for the Challengers seems decent.

Any other options I should look for like HID?
Any problem areas I should watch out for?

Any other car I should test drive besides the Challenger RT and the Mustang GT?

Any other misc advice?!!

$3500 rebate on a new 10 Challenger RT, should I look at new instead?

·
Super Moderator
13,947 Posts
I would look for a used SRT with low mileage. Most of these cars are really well cared for and you will get all of the options that you are looking for.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Killer deals on leftover 2010 SRT8's out there if you search, good luck.

Got mine for $35,500 brand new!

BTW wife got a cute sister? :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
My SRT8 has all options and I love it, Have never owned a better car....... As far as head room I,m 6' 5' and have plenty of head and leg room. Good luck hope all goes well.

PS What part of NC are you from.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah that would be nice but I think I need to get the car for 26K in order to keep payments under 300 with my trade and down payment and all

·
Registered
299 Posts
You're probably looking at getting a used R/T if you're going for less than 26k. You might get lucky finding a higher mileage used SRT if you look hard enough. Hope you find a steal!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
You can find a new R/T (not loaded) for about $26K. That was a few weeks ago; the selection can't be getting better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great responses. On the way home I went to check out a 2009 Challenger RT deepwater Blue. The saleman told me I could probably get a better deal on the 2010 brand New RT.
He showed me a pretty basic RT with aftermarket Mopar style leather seats that honestly looked nicer then the originals. But this meant they were not heated. Had a manual transmission and the track pack. He said the 2010's have a better warranty

So I took it for a spin. My first thought was it seem large cause it's been so long since I've seen a hood from the drivers seat.

Then had a difficult time judging distance behind me when backing up.

When shifting missed third and went into 5th. (been a while for me on a manual).

Loved the hill assist but didn't seem to work all the time and loved the sound, OMG it was like heaven.

Wasn't completely sold on the car though. My Monte SS felt like it handled better if thats even possible. Anyway, going to look at 4 more.
Looked all over for a decently priced SRT but none three, all in the 35 range.

I think I am sold on the manual transmission though.
Still want to drive a few other cars before Saturday!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Thanks for the great responses. On the way home I went to check out a 2009 Challenger RT deepwater Blue. The saleman told me I could probably get a better deal on the 2010 brand New RT.
He showed me a pretty basic RT with aftermarket Mopar style leather seats that honestly looked nicer then the originals. But this meant they were not heated. Had a manual transmission and the track pack. He said the 2010's have a better warranty

So I took it for a spin. My first thought was it seem large cause it's been so long since I've seen a hood from the drivers seat.

Then had a difficult time judging distance behind me when backing up.

When shifting missed third and went into 5th. (been a while for me on a manual).

Loved the hill assist but didn't seem to work all the time and loved the sound, OMG it was like heaven.

Wasn't completely sold on the car though. My Monte SS felt like it handled better if thats even possible. Anyway, going to look at 4 more.
Looked all over for a decently priced SRT but none three, all in the 35 range.

I think I am sold on the manual transmission though.
Still want to drive a few other cars before Saturday!
Interesting observation about missing 3rd for 5th. The shifter is spring loaded to bias you TOWARDS 3rd and 4th; you have to physically make it go left or right.

I noticed my hill start was turned on the other day; I couldn't wait to get home and turn it off. It's a crutch I don't need, but if you're new to a stick, I could see where it would be helpful.

If you think visibility is poor in the Challenger, you should drive a Camaro. About as close to a Crossfire as you can get as far as visibility.

Enjoy your hunt.

·
Banned
557 Posts
If you think visibility is poor in the Challenger, you should drive a Camaro. About as close to a Crossfire as you can get as far as visibility.
You mean you found a way to look out the Camaro? :laugh:

Seriously those cars are like a death trap waiting to happen. While the Challenger has some fat rear pillars, you can still see pretty well to manuever around. And interior room is the best you will find in this TYPE of vehicle.

As a point of reference, I recently bought my '10 RT new for $27k. Sticker was right at $33k. It's a base level RT with cloth, satellite radio and the 27F pack. It had a 6-speed, so if you found one similarly equipped in an auto it would be about $1,000 less or $26k.

That being said, $26k - $8.5k (monte) = $17,500 financed. On a 5yr term @ 5% that would make your payment $330. A 6 year term drops you down to $281/mo.

Obviously the payment would vary a bit based on exact term, interest rate and how much you have to put down. I like to use BankRate.com auto payment calculator to figure the different scenarios.

Auto loan calculator - Bankrate.com

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You mean you found a way to look out the Camaro? :laugh:

Seriously those cars are like a death trap waiting to happen. While the Challenger has some fat rear pillars, you can still see pretty well to manuever around. And interior room is the best you will find in this TYPE of vehicle.

As a point of reference, I recently bought my '10 RT new for $27k. Sticker was right at $33k. It's a base level RT with cloth, satellite radio and the 27F pack. It had a 6-speed, so if you found one similarly equipped in an auto it would be about $1,000 less or $26k.

That being said, $26k - $8.5k (monte) = $17,500 financed. On a 5yr term @ 5% that would make your payment $330. A 6 year term drops you down to $281/mo.

Obviously the payment would vary a bit based on exact term, interest rate and how much you have to put down. I like to use BankRate.com auto payment calculator to figure the different scenarios.

Auto loan calculator - Bankrate.com
Thanks, was planning on a 5K down payment so should be good.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I can't believe it!!! I have a Torred Challenger RT sitting in my driveway tonight, I am so jazzed!

The dealership I went to was unreal, they had rows and rows of challengers to choose from. Never thought about Torred but when I saw it with the tinted glass and no RT stripes of any kind it make my blood boil.

Got the manual 5 speed, by the way the exhaust system is way better sounding on the manuals then the autos, we parked two side by side and the manual was growling way deeper and lower

Got the touch screen radio, leather and no sunroof.

Had 14 miles on it when we first started it up.

Thank you guys for this website, it gave me valuable info on making the right decision for my purchase.

·
Registered
208 Posts
What was the cost if you dont mind me being nosy? I picked up my 2010 R/T today for $27K. Had to deal with a budget and it could use a few more options, but I would rather have the Hemi than a loaded 6 banger.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Sell your monte privately before you try to buy the challenger. trading it will get you less than you want in most cases. Once you have the funds then you can deal better for a price at the right range to get your payments where you need them. Getting them down to 300 is going to be interesting, possible if you can find the right car and now is as good a time as any to be looking. 300x72 months is only 21600 (and thats without interest) the rest you'll have to come up with in cash to make up the difference.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Wow, I can't believe it!!! I have a Torred Challenger RT sitting in my driveway tonight, I am so jazzed!

The dealership I went to was unreal, they had rows and rows of challengers to choose from. Never thought about Torred but when I saw it with the tinted glass and no RT stripes of any kind it make my blood boil.

Got the manual 5 speed, by the way the exhaust system is way better sounding on the manuals then the autos, we parked two side by side and the manual was growling way deeper and lower

Got the touch screen radio, leather and no sunroof.

Had 14 miles on it when we first started it up.

Thank you guys for this website, it gave me valuable info on making the right decision for my purchase.
Congratulations, and don't forget you've got a 6th gear as well- -won't use it much except over 50 mph though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats!

Where did you find a dealer in NC with lots of Challengers?? When I was looking, it was like they had 'em all hidden. I'm in the Winston-Salem area.

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I'm in the Raleigh area. Private msg me and I'll tell you where I went and who I worked with. The sales rep I worked with owns a Challenger himself so is very knowledgable and was great to work with. He knew what I wanted so pre-selected them from his inventory to save time and confusion before I got there. He was straight up on the price and there were no games played.
They gave me an awesome deal which I prefer not to disclose, but will say was the best new car buying experience I have experienced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm in the Raleigh area. Private msg me and I'll tell you where I went and who I worked with. The sales rep I worked with owns a Challenger himself so is very knowledgable and was great to work with. He knew what I wanted so pre-selected them from his inventory to save time and confusion before I got there. He was straight up on the price and there were no games played.
They gave me an awesome deal which I prefer not to disclose, but will say was the best new car buying experience I have ever seen.

Ahh, the Raleigh area... that explains it lol! I looked in Kernersville, Winston-Salem, High Point and Greensboro. The Kernersvillel dealer finally located the one I wanted in Monroe!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts