Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

One of the first things I want to do with the Challenger is swap the wheels out and throw the Classic rims into storage, partly because I'm not a fan of chrome, especially when the rest of the car is black, and partly for the resale value.

I was planning on running the common setup of 20x8.5/20x10 (probably Foose Speed Black wheels) and was thinking of retaining the F1s for the front end to save cash (I just got my motorcycle back from some thieving scumbags and it needs repairs).

So, how are the F1s as front tires? Every complaint I've heard about them is primarily related to wheel hop, which suggests to me that they have too much traction for doing rolling burnouts, which should be a good thing for the front, no?

I'm planning on going to 275/40/20 in the back (but have some wiggle room if there's a good tire in a similar size), but I don't really know what tires would work well back there, I don't want to have a massive difference in traction from front to rear, but the F1s don't come in the wider size.

Is this all fundamentally a bad idea?

Cheers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, the other alternative is to simply not go staggered and run the F1s on 8.5" rims all around.

The other OTHER alternative is to just say bollocks to it and buy 4 new tires.

·
Super Moderator
14,721 Posts
The 245/275 staggered look will look great on your Challenger. That is what I plan to do on my SRT when my RSAs wear out.

Did you know that the 2006 Challenger concept car had a 245/255 set-up? Just make sure that you buy similar max summer performance tires for the rear- not all-season. (e.g., Bridgestone Potenza, Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT, or Hankook Ventus). Also, remember, however, that summer tires are not meant for cold weather and they will feel like four frozen hockey pucks if you try to drive on them during the winter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, do you have any specific suggestion for the rear tires?

I live in Los Angeles, so cold weather performance isn't really a major concern and if it ever snows here I'm ****ing walking to work.

·
Super Moderator
14,721 Posts
The Hankook Ventus tires are the least costly of the three ($708 for 4). Try reading the tire reviews on the Tire Rack web site.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks, anything that's "Max Performance Summer" ought to fit the bill, yes?

I like the look of the Ventus' tread, and being cheap doesn't hurt, I have the distinct feeling I'll be going through rear tires a lot faster than fronts :browsmiley:

I wish Tire Rack would just let you say "I want width X and rim size Y" without having to specify the damned section height, seems like the 35,40 and 45 sections all have different availabilities.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The more I think about it, the more likely I am to just run 8.5" rims all around, the 10" wide Foose wheels don't have enough offset for my liking in the rear, they stick out a little too much and I think they may well interfere with lowering the car.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I have the hancook setup 245/275. And there's not much stagger. It's a good cheap tire. 141 at discount tire.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the hancook setup 245/275. And there's not much stagger. It's a good cheap tire. 141 at discount tire.
Cool, what rims are you running? Do you have any pictures?

It's mainly the offset on the 10" Foose rim that concerns me, it looks like it could almost use a solid inch more offset to move it nicely into the rear wheel well, but the wheels only come with 20mm offset for the 5x115 pattern.

Machining a higher offset into the rim might be an option but I've no idea whether that's structurally possible or whether there would then be clearance issues on the inside as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts