Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,797 Posts
Staggered tires are not stupid if you want big tires on the drive wheels, but not the steering wheels. 315/35 in the front on a narrow body?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
I want to run 275/40-20s on my RT classic with the heritage wheels (8" wide). Can I do that safely considering the tire is actually too big for the rim/wheels? Minimum wheel width is suppose to be 9" I believe?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,797 Posts
Define safely? You might run them and never have an issue, does that make them safe? Tire manufacturers define recommended widths...I personally tend to go with that. I guarantee there are people running 275s on 8" wheels, and have not had any problem as of yet. Are their odds of having a problem higher than someone running 275s on 9" wheels? I think it comes down to are you willing to run a size that the manufacturer of the tire doesn't recommend, and take your chances?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Thanks

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Staggered tires are stupid in my opinion. It's a teenage mentality. Reminds me of the discussion of top speeds here where the posters are stupid enough to post publicly about how they went 130 mph on a public road. A hick Dukes of Hazzard mentality.
Yeah, don't you just hate those staggered set ups......total POS cars for sure. Everyone knows it can't work. I mean really, who does that? Don't they know staggered is "stupid" and only works with dumb as wood "teenaged mentality" that is for "hicks"?

Then again.......maybe you're just DEAD WRONG!!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Staggered tires are not stupid if you want big tires on the drive wheels, but not the steering wheels. 315/35 in the front on a narrow body?

A Guy
"narrow body"?

That's a thing. Dodge doesn't call the cars without the flraes "narrow".....yet I see it all the time and it's become a mainstay of the chat rooms.

Call me crazy but all I see are Challengers. They are all the exact same body type.

What passes for a "wide body" is a standard issue Challenger body with holes drilled in their fenders and flares attached to accommodate a wider stock tire size and rim. While the marketing may call 'em "wide body" I'm not sure that makes your car without the drilled fenders and plastic pieces attached "narrow"......not when it's the very same car sans the Ford Ranger style painted flares.

Ah but.......this is the internet complete with U tube folks and chat rooms. You knew they'd have to come up with some way to describe the cars without the tack on flares.

Set aside the different "Boxes" behind the cab and focus on how one truck has drilled fenders and flares attatched and the other does not..... then ask:

Is this a Narrow body vs wide body pick up truck or pretty much the same two trucks one with and one without "tack on" flares?

·
Registered
9 Posts

A Guy
Totally agree, not stupid at all. If anyone knows anything about the torque on these cars even stock is that a wider rear tire for more contact is required to avoid spinning wheels even for an “free spirited” driver. Staggered isn’t only for strip with these cars. Staggered setups done correctly are game changer for this vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,797 Posts
When you have Widebody cars, you need to clarify somehow. I could say a normal Challenger, but it isn't as specific. If I say "You can't put 315s on the front", someone will invariably reply with "The Widebodies come with 305s, 315s will fit". I am heading of that reply by being specific

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
252 Posts
When you have Widebody cars, you need to clarify somehow. I could say a normal Challenger, but it isn't as specific. If I say "You can't put 315s on the front", someone will invariably reply with "The Widebodies come with 305s, 315s will fit". I am heading of that reply by being specific

A Guy
And you will also need to explain that the wheels on a wide body have a different offset as well as those bubble flares..... For the front anyways. Not sure 305s will fit on my front end without rubbing.

BTW... I think the Lil Devil flares that have the magnets in them look much better than the wide body flares.... Which would then make mine a wide body? :p

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

A Guy
Yeah that makes sense and I certainly don't expect to change anything. People will keep referring to the cars as the majority see fit. I do kinda laugh at the marketing effort though.

Those bolt on flares stand as reminder of just how long ago this car was designed. In the mid 2000s a 245-275 tire was plenty big and certainly enough for a car with a maximum power option of just barely 400+ horse power. Today though with 700-800HP engines available and cross town rivals building corner carving scalpels ..... every-time I see what Dodge calls a wide body with that really weak and poorly executed solution it occurs to me it's time for an all new car.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
And you will also need to explain that the wheels on a wide body have a different offset as well as those bubble flares..... For the front anyways. Not sure 305s will fit on my front end without rubbing.

BTW... I think the Lil Devil flares that have the magnets in them look much better than the wide body flares.... Which would then make mine a wide body? :p
Dodge fixed that with the bolt on solution and lumpy looking flares. You'd pretty much have to dig deeper and take the car to a body shop for the custom quality work over of the fender Dodge chose to "cheap out" on. Yet even done CORRECTLY when your car is this custom you venture out into the world of controversy concerning the quality and tastefulness of the shop's work. In the end most of us who don't like the flares just accept we're dealing with having to go "staggered" in the quest for a rear tire that comes closer to handling the latest power levels available.

Not exactly the end of the world. It's not as if this has never been a "look" or done on a Challenger from the factory.

Seems to me the original 340 TA Challengers came from the factory with staggered set ups.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts