Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize in advance for the long winded post! I have been lurking these boards for a while and have read many threads on this topic. Hi, I'm new here and live in Illinois. I have been a car nut since I could crawl and used to fall asleep with my Hot Wheels at my side. My dad owns a 1966 Ford Fairlane GT and used to own a 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone. I have owned a few non muscle cars, Porsche 944, Pontiac Fiero GT, Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo. I currently own a 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix coupe for daily driving, which I absolutely hate and a 2002 Mustang GT with only 15K on it for nice weather. I am very bored with the Mustang since I bought it on impulse, a guy's wife at work was getting rid of it, and I couldn't pass it up since it was a steal and basically new as it only had 5K on it when I got it back in 2009. Anyways, I am now in the financial position to be able to buy a new or newer car. My wife just bought a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 Hemi, and we absolutely love it. She says it is time for me to get rid of my two older cars and get one new car. I am looking at the Mustang GT, Camaro SS, and Challenger SRT-8 or R/T Classic. My wife said the next car I get I will be keeping for a long time, and it will be a daily driver. I can't stand having a winter beater, which I hate driving for five months out of the year. Life's too short for that especially in my line of work. Luckily, my commute is only about 20 miles per day round trip, so fuel economy is not really a huge concern. With that said, I am leaning more and more towards a used SRT-8 with automatic since my wife could drive it occasionally (she is not proficient with a stick) and it has a functional back seat should we ever have children. This is, of course, pending a test drive. I have only driven a 2008 Bullitt Mustang and a 2010 GT so far, which were very similar. I have yet to drive a Challenger or Camaro. I have sat in all three and felt that the Camaro was very hard to see out of for someone of my stature (5'4" 140 lbs). The Challenger was the most comfortable and felt the most solid, and the Mustang felt just right in terms of size and visibility. I don't much care which car is faster in a straight line or around a curve as I don't drive my personal cars to the limit ever. I like all three cars for different reasons but think the Challenger is the best styled and will be the least common, which I like. I guess I am asking for those who know, does the Challenger SRT-8 make sense as a daily driver over the other two, or should it be used a weekend warrior only? Your feedback will help me out greatly as I begin my search when the snow starts melting around here.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
I feel like the challenger is a MUCH better suited daily than the stang or camaro. You really need to go on a few test drives to confirm for yourself though. Its got the space to (actually) put a couple full sized people in the back seat, awesome trunk space, and rides like any luxury cruiser until you need it to react, and it will. The mustang from what I've felt riding in, and heard from people who drive, has a much harsher drive and is a real b*tch in the winter. Camaro I would NEVER consider as a daily with the lack of visibility, rear seat, and trunk space. But, like I said, thats something to decide after having driven all 3 and feel whats best for you.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I would ask the wife what one she wants you to get...

Seriously, you should get the Camaro or Mustang.

·
Registered
466 Posts
if you want to stand out in the crowd buy the challenger, if you want to be just another ho-hum part of the crowd buy one of the other two!!!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I would suggest the Challenger, why, cause one it's roomier than both the Mustang or Camaro, two it's looks better, three it's fun to drive, and four not everyone has one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would suggest the Challenger, why, cause one it's roomier than both the Mustang or Camaro, two it's looks better, three it's fun to drive, and four not everyone has one.
For me, this is just about what it comes down to.

When I was looking for a car, I drove a Camaro SS, Challenger and 370Z (I had one before an loved it). I kinda knew what a Mustang was like, my hubby had a 2008 GT/CS.

I thought the Camaro was "ok." I was kinda leading towards the Z, but the Challenger just kept pulling ahead in my mind and insist upon showing me how it would look parked in my carport. I went back several times to see the Challengers and ended up with my RT Classic, which I drive every day and absolutely love it.

And after driving my Challenger, hubby didn't like his Mustang anymore!

I guess the bottom line is ... keep looking and test driving, and somehow you just know which is right for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel like the challenger is a MUCH better suited daily than the stang or camaro. You really need to go on a few test drives to confirm for yourself though. Its got the space to (actually) put a couple full sized people in the back seat, awesome trunk space, and rides like any luxury cruiser until you need it to react, and it will. The mustang from what I've felt riding in, and heard from people who drive, has a much harsher drive and is a real b*tch in the winter. Camaro I would NEVER consider as a daily with the lack of visibility, rear seat, and trunk space. But, like I said, thats something to decide after having driven all 3 and feel whats best for you.
I will post up my experience with all three once I get behind the wheel. Planning on driving manuals and autos in all three. I agree the Mustang has a harsher ride from what I've experienced with the newer ones even. I have driven a Charger R/T interceptor at work, which was impressive. My 2002 Mustang is an exhausting car to drive over a long period of time. I am trying to look at this objectively and will make the right decision for me when the time comes. I was justing asking people's opinions who have either driven all three or currently use their Challengers for daily driving. Personally, I think I will most likely go with the Challenger. Then it will be a question of R/T or SRT, which I know has already been spoken about at length on this forum.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
if your looking for a all around car go with the SRT8 it has all the comforts of home and it's manners on the road are outstanding. If your looking to get better fuel economy look at the R/T Classic

·
Registered
616 Posts
Definitely get the Mustang.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I own both a 2010 R/T Classic and a 2009 SRT. The classic is my wifes car and the SRT is mine. The R/T is truly a daily driver and is driven on nice days here in Minnesota. It handles OK in the snow but is not fwd. If we put on all season tires I believe the winter driving would be better. Remember we all drove Challengers in the 70's all winter long and survived. The SRT is only driven when the snow is gone and that is my personal choice. It has been modified with a S/C and I want it to last a long time, No snow, no salt. In your shoes I would look for a used SRT or with the pricing right now, maybe look for a leftover 2010. Any Challenger choice is a good choice. I have also thought of buying a se to drive daily winter/summer, but my garage is 1 stall short.

·
Banned
557 Posts
I went through this recently and this is how I narrowed down my selection:

1. Challenger SRT - Too expensive for my budget. Plus I felt for the extra $10k or so it costs (maybe even less), you could take and dump into an RT and have a car that was faster and handled better.

2. Mustang GT - Never got a chance to drive a 2011 model with the new 5.0 engine. According to the "professionals", this is the car that is the fastest and handles the best. Too bad it sucks in the looks department. Plus I didn't like the way the 2010 models felt inside. And really I've never been much of a Ford guy.

3. Camaro SS - When I started looking around, I really fell in love with this car. Lots of power and looks great in the right color combo. The automatic is powerful, but the 6-speed gave me goose bumps. Things to consider, the SS models come with 20" wheels and SUMMER ONLY tires so if you do any winter driving that is an automatic upgrade. Plus the prices are still pretty high. When looking at new ones, you were lucky to get invoice price and there are no rebates. From the practical side, things are kind of tight inside. The ride is harsh, in a good sports car way, but still not something I wanted as a daily driver. And the visibility is absolutely HORRIBLE. All in all, a cool car but not a great fit especially for a daily driver.

4. Challenger RT - For me, the best of all worlds. Great power, excellent ride, phenomenal price and absolutely makes me (and others) drool all the time when looking at it. I know this may sound dumb, but one of the first things I said (and my wife even agreed) was this car felt like a "man's car". By far it has the best muscle car look both inside and out. I couldn't be happier. Icing on the cake is we can fit people in the back seat and have great storage trunk space when we go on trips.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I loved the Camaro at first sight but hated the visibility and driving position. The new Mustang 5.0 is faster if you plan on racing.

But if you're looking for a awesome looking, easy to drive, semi-practical, and not cookie cutter (like the Mustang) then the Challenger is the way to go. One test drive, and I was sold.

Based on performance I might go with the Mustang, but it looks the same as every other Mustang (a dime a dozen). They should have made the 5.0 a little different looking.

The only thing I don't like about the Challenger so far is the rear-ward visibility is lousy. Not that you can't see, but its just hard to tell how close you are to things when backing up.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
She says it is time for me to get rid of my two older cars and get one new car. My wife said the next car I get I will be keeping for a long time.
From what you have posted, it sounds like you have a demanding wife.

·
Registered
630 Posts
From what you've said, I think the Challenger R/T is the best choice. It isn't as fast and doesn't handle quite as well on a racetrack as the SRT8, but you've said that those aren't important. The R/T gets better gas mileage and is less expensive than the SRT8.

I ruled out the Mustang because of the small back seat and there are a ton of them around. I didn't like the Camaro due to poor visibility and smaller interior.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ithink the Challenger is the best styled and will be the least common, which I like.
What's to discuss then? ;)

There are tons of us who use the SRT as a daily driver. They are meant to be driven, not parked. Get the SRT and enjoy the hell out of it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From what you have posted, it sounds like you have a demanding wife.
She can be at times like most of them. Did I mention she is Italian? Anyways, I let her get exactly what she wanted meaning the new Jeep. I talked her into getting a Hemi after driving both the Pentastar V-6 and the V-8 - no comparison in terms of how hard the engine has to work to move around all that weight. I told her it would be time for me to get something newer and mentioned either a R/T Classic or SRT-8. I also said maybe I'd look at a Mustang and Camaro too just for the heck of it. She said she does not want me to make a decision based on her and then regret it. The only thing I agreed to compromise on was to at least look at automatic transmissions. I taught her stick on the 944 and Stealth, and she was only moderately successful. I would rather drive a SRT-8 with auto than a Mustang or Camaro with an auto. The Challenger seems more like a mature comfortable muscle car sort of like the old Porsche 928 was to its lesser sports car brethren. Sure it was big and unapologetic for a sports car but in triple digit cruising speeds, nothing was as comfortable or as solid. Many of those had automatics and were phenomenal autobaun cruisers, which is what I hear about the Challenger. I know it is probably a poor analogy to mention the two in the same sentence, but I just did.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Stealth, I can relate to your 928 analogy. I would recommend the SRT as there are some really sweet deals on the 2010's at the moment. I'm the proud owner of a 2009 R/T, and would have considered the SRT, if at the time they would have been discounted like they currently are.

I also hear ya' about the Italian thing. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I went through this recently and this is how I narrowed down my selection:

1. Challenger SRT - Too expensive for my budget. Plus I felt for the extra $10k or so it costs (maybe even less), you could take and dump into an RT and have a car that was faster and handled better.

2. Mustang GT - Never got a chance to drive a 2011 model with the new 5.0 engine. According to the "professionals", this is the car that is the fastest and handles the best. Too bad it sucks in the looks department. Plus I didn't like the way the 2010 models felt inside. And really I've never been much of a Ford guy.

3. Camaro SS - When I started looking around, I really fell in love with this car. Lots of power and looks great in the right color combo. The automatic is powerful, but the 6-speed gave me goose bumps. Things to consider, the SS models come with 20" wheels and SUMMER ONLY tires so if you do any winter driving that is an automatic upgrade. Plus the prices are still pretty high. When looking at new ones, you were lucky to get invoice price and there are no rebates. From the practical side, things are kind of tight inside. The ride is harsh, in a good sports car way, but still not something I wanted as a daily driver. And the visibility is absolutely HORRIBLE. All in all, a cool car but not a great fit especially for a daily driver.

4. Challenger RT - For me, the best of all worlds. Great power, excellent ride, phenomenal price and absolutely makes me (and others) drool all the time when looking at it. I know this may sound dumb, but one of the first things I said (and my wife even agreed) was this car felt like a "man's car". By far it has the best muscle car look both inside and out. I couldn't be happier. Icing on the cake is we can fit people in the back seat and have great storage trunk space when we go on trips.
Wow,I could have written this. Was in exactly the same position a couple months ago.

I can't understand the rationale of buying the SRT8 unless you just want the absolute fastest Challenger on the road. The R/T makes plenty of power and rumble (if you buy the 6M).

Teach your wife how to shift.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts