Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 2 cents...

I was in a similar situation. I drove the Camaro and hated the trans (at) and the cheap, cramped interior. What a let down. I drove the 5.0 GT and loved how strong the motor was. VERY fast and a blast to drive in a straight line. Interior was great. Well laid out and great quality. The downside was that when the car cornered it felt like a toyota. I assume because of the small size. It just felt like an econobox after driving large 1950's & 60's cars all my life. I also couldnt fall in love with the rear styling no matter what options are tacked on.

I almost bought the SRT8, but it was a little too hairy for a daily driver. I found the STP R/T to be a very well balanced car and pulled the trigger. Also, with a 7 and 9 year old, I don't know how I would have squeezed them in that tiny Mustang "back seat".
You have to drive them all and go with your gut. You can't go wrong! ... Unless you buy the Camaro =0)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I can't understand the rationale of buying the SRT8 unless you just want the absolute fastest Challenger on the road.
Don't make me beat that poor dead horse that's been beaten 100 times already...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was considering the SRT8 but my wide ass wasn't comfortable in the seat, and I wasn't a fan of it coming with summer-only tires. Normally I'd like that, but with tires & wheels that size, and living in the Northeast, it would have been another 3 grand to set up tires to swap out in the winter.

Even with all-seasons on the R/T I don't plan to take it out much in the snow.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I'd go with the R/T Classic (WITHOUT the Super Track Pack because it comes with summer tires unless you want to buy a separate set of rims and snow tires).

SRT is giving you summer tires too.

·
Banned
557 Posts
The R/T makes plenty of power and rumble (if you buy the 6M).

Teach your wife how to shift.
LOL, agree. For me, I would not have bought a Challenger if it weren't in the 6-speed. That was a make or break deal for me. It just seems to have more b*lls plus I like the rumble better. In fact, after test driving an automatic both my wife and 15yr old daughter was making fun of how weak the AUTOMATIC Challenger sounded. Not saying that isn't something that can be changed, but it was a real turnoff to me. The 6-speed on the other hand, my wife got excited when it started and I mean excited, not normal excited. LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
What's to discuss then? ;)

There are tons of us who use the SRT as a daily driver. They are meant to be driven, not parked. Get the SRT and enjoy the hell out of it.
now theres the best comment i heard, pay attention and go get an SRT8
I drive mine every day blower and all.
If you going to keep it for a long time you might as well be comfe for a long time.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Don't make me beat that poor dead horse that's been beaten 100 times already...
exactly....srt is just the "baddest" version of an already great car, so why not??...and in addition, it IS available with all-season tires:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I had the same three cars to consider. Always wanted an American muscle car and a Cuda. The Challenger was the next best thing. Then the new Mustang 5.0 came out. My thought process:

Camaro - loses based on poor ergonomics, poor comfort (try resting your left arm somewhere), poor visibility (I actually watch out for other drivers) and very poor trunk room. Can't fit my golf clubs in there.

Mustang 5.0 - very nice ride. I really like the Mustang 5.0 Premium, but no rear leg room (I sometimes take 2 or 3 passengers). I always felt that I was going to lose the rear end during my rainy day test drive.

Challenger - You have room for passengers and 2 sets (or more) golf clubs. Always felt stable on the road. Better seat comfort. Love the pistol grip shifter and the simple ergonomics.

For me, it was this order:
1. Challenger SRT
2. Challenger R/T with super track pack
3. Mustang 5.0 Premium
4. Challenger R/T without STP
5. Base Mustang 5.0
6. Camaro SS

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
If you can afford the SRT8 get a 2011 0r 2012 Shelby GT500. I loved how my Challenger looked but did not like how it rode like a luxury car and the lack of Mopar offered performance parts like a blower. The GT500 has better paint, fit and finish and my SRT8 was one of the nicest ones out there as far as paint and panel gaps from the factory. Don't flame me guys these are unbiased observations from a person who has owned and driven both. I have never looked back after selling my Challenger for the GT500.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I will not be buying a new one unless I get an awesome deal, so I am thinking of looking at used SRT-8s and used R/T Classics. I realize I can get a new 5.0 GT for what a used SRT-8 will cost, but I don't care. I would imagine the Challengers have better resale value than the Mustang anyway. I think the Camaro will be out for me based on the visibility alone. I remember not being impressed when I sat in it at the auto show last year...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
If you can afford the SRT8 get a 2011 0r 2012 Shelby GT500. I loved how my Challenger looked but did not like how it rode like a luxury car and the lack of Mopar offered performance parts like a blower. The GT500 has better paint, fit and finish and my SRT8 was one of the nicest ones out there as far as paint and panel gaps from the factory. Don't flame me guys these are unbiased observations from a person who has owned and driven both. I have never looked back after selling my Challenger for the GT500.
I cannot afford a GT500 unless it were like a 2007. The amount of money I ideally would want to spend is not more than 35K out the door, which pretty much puts me at used SRT-8s and most likely used R/T Classics for what I want. The reason why I'm considering used SRT-8s more and more is because they come with all the stuff I would add to a R/T as standard. Every time I build a Classic online it is near 40K which is not far off an SRT-8. The argument that the R/T is 10K cheaper does not apply with what I want because I will not be getting a bare bones R/T. So far, based on your feedback, I am leaning towards a used SRT-8...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow,I could have written this. Was in exactly the same position a couple months ago.

I can't understand the rationale of buying the SRT8 unless you just want the absolute fastest Challenger on the road. The R/T makes plenty of power and rumble (if you buy the 6M).

Teach your wife how to shift.
The SRT8 has a much nicer feel when driving than the R/T. Don't get me wrong I really like my R/T. Its fun and sporty and has kind of a stripped down light feel. But I love my SRT8. It has a much quieter solid feel with better handling, more comfortable seats and of course faster, tighter. It's closer to a smooth Lincoln type feel, where a R/T is more like a mustang type feel... at least to me. Others may disagree.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I own an SRT8 auto - its also my daily driver. My commute is 25 miles each way, all highway or backroads. I love it. Comfortable, handles well, and has plenty of performance on tap when I want it. Love the looks too. My wife has a 2011 Mustang 5.0. Its fun to run around town with - very quick and nimble, but its not as comfortable on longer trips; the trunk is tiny, as are the back seats. I put 2 large male co-workers in the back of the Challenger and went on a road trip - they never complained once - plenty of room back there. The trunk is huge, which also has some advantages over the Camaro and Mustang for daily use or trips where you need to take some luggage and other things.

The Challenger does well in all kinds of weather (the weight and longer wheel base I think helps) - even snow if you apply a little common sense - mine has Electronic Stability Control (I'm pretty sure all SRTs and R/Ts do), which is a nice thing in bad weather. The Mustang is fine in the rain with good all-season tires, but is hard to drive in snow.

I had a couple of the previous generation Camaros, and really liked them - but like with our Mustang (our 4th in a row since 96), not all that comfortable on longer trips, not much of a trunk, and when I put my parents in the back one time, I think its the worst thing I ever did to them - not much room back there. My Camaros were good in the rain because I had really excellent all-season tires, but forget the snow - can't speak to the new one, however.

Test drive all of them, to include both the SRT8 and R/T so you really get a feel for what you like. If you're planning on keeping the car for several years, take your time and make sure when you decide, its what you really want.

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Ah haven't looked back, but still frequenting the challenger boards I see? Just playin, hadn't realized you had traded out for a shelby.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My recommendation would be between the Mustang and the Challenger hands down.

I have owned a 5th gen Mustang, and really enjoyed it quite a bit.
The Mustang was sporty, and felt light on it's feet.
I traded in the Mustang for a 2010 Camaro SS, and regretted every minute of it. The Camaro looks nice, but as a daily driver....I was very disappointed.

The Challenger is my favorite. It is the draft horse of the 3.
The Challenger also has ample room for 4, and is a great daily driver.
On the road, I see alot of Camaros and Mustangs....not alot of Challengers.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Thank you for the opinions. I am attending the Chicago auto show in two weeks and will go over each car with a fine tooth comb and post my observations in a new thread. I will be starting my test driving in the Spring with my "bossy" wife at my side.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
UPDATE: Since you've probably followed my "Driving Impressions" thread in which I drove the R/T auto, R/T Classic 6 speed, SRT-8 auto, Camaro SS auto, 5.0 auto, GT500 6 speed, and 2011 Charger R/T. I think it is impossible to rank them since they are somewhat in different classes. If I were using the car as weekend car, the GT500 would be my choice with the Camaro SS following not far behind. If I had a couple of kids, the new Charger would be my winner. Now that leaves the R/T, R/T Classic, SRT-8, and Mustang GT. The Mustang is too small for me since I will be having kids in the next few years, and I don't want to have to get rid of my car when that happens. Therefore, the Challenger is the best of all worlds. For a well rounded daily driver, I'm back to square one between the R/T Classic and SRT-8. The R/T Classic with 6 speed was my favorite, but I imagine had I driven a SRT-8 6 speed, things would be reversed. I like the overall nostalgic look of R/T Classic slightly more than the SRT-8, and it was more comfortable in terms of ride. I like the handling/braking and seats of the SRT-8 better though. With the STP and 6 speed, I don't know if I'd miss the performance edge of the SRT-8, especially when it game to MPGs. I am really torn here to be honest. I could go either way on this one. I guess the only other thing to do is drive the SRT-8 with 6 speed...

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I think you are on the right track here. You have driven and checked out almost all of the cars you were considering and narrowed it down to the 2 Challengers. From your description, I would get the SRT8. It will last a long time and you won't get bored with it. It is the car you want. If you want a four door, get the SRT8 Charger Super Bee if you can find one at an affordable price. Good luck and not everyone here will give you a hard time about this. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Having owned Mustangs, a 2010 Camaro, 2010 Challenger, 1991 Firebird, and Jeep Wranglers.
My bet would be on the Challenger.

I have owned mine for about a year, and have yet to find a flaw with it.

I was very pleased to trade in the 2010 Camaro. I am not going to bash it, since it had it's qualities too. But, simply not the right car for me. It had rediculous power, great sound, just not what I had in mind for a daily driver.

The Mustang CS/GT convertible that I had owned was great. That was the only car, that I enjoyed as much as the Challenger. My wife and I really did enjoy the convertible top. The car had alot of compliments, and on the fence between it and the Challenger R/T.

A good idea is to rent each one for a weekend.
Rented the Challenger and 2010 Mustang. My mistake was not renting the Camaro SS, before purchasing.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts