Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated, I'm going to look at a 2015 R/T 6sp manual with 26k miles on it tonight after work. It's got cloth seats, 8.4" uConnect, nav, and boston accoustic speakers. It's also listed as having dual zone climate control.

What are common issues I should be looking for?

It doesn't appear to have a backup camera. Are these difficult - or even possible - to add on the 8.4" uConnect?

·
Super Moderator
16,210 Posts
Radiator leaks (service campaign to replace those)

axle boot leaks (this turned up on early production cars)

reflash of audio systems
*Sound Group II (Alpine 10 speaker / 509w system)
*Performance Audio (HK 900w system)

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've got a 2015 RT that I purchased in early 2016. The only issue / recall that my Challenger had was a software update that the dealer needed to handle. Other than that it has been smooth for 16k so far. *knocking on wood*. I have not performed the uConnect update yet that has rendered sport mode inoperable, but that is not specific to the 2015 RT.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I personally could not make it without a backup camera. I've really learned to depend on it and has saved my bacon a couple of times. Same for the traffic alert triangle on the side view mirrors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I'll be on the look out for leaks, for sure.

My understanding is that the 5.7L Hemi is a rock solid engine. My dad has a 2013 300C with the 5.7L Hemi in it and he's had no issues since he bought it new. He and my mom road trip all across the US in it. I'm trying to get him to put an aftermarket exhaust and tune on it.....

The Ecoboost Mustangs have an issue called 'Ecoboom'. It's a problem with LSPI that causes the engine to toss rod #3(mostly, sometimes #2) out the side of the block. This happens mostly on tuned engines, but a fair number of stock cars have done this as well. It's part of the reason I want to trade it in.
Does the 5.7L Hemi have any glaring issues like this? My intention is to run full exhaust (headers on back) and a tune.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally could not make it without a backup camera. I've really learned to depend on it and has saved my bacon a couple of times. Same for the traffic alert triangle on the side view mirrors.
Yeah, my Mustang is a 201A Premium so it has BLIS and a backup camera with reverse sensors and cross traffic alert. Not having that will be an adjustment, especially with the blind spots in the c-pillars. In terms of features, this Challenger is a downgrade. In terms of engines? No comparison!

I'm guessing I can't add a backup camera?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Yeah, my Mustang is a 201A Premium so it has BLIS and a backup camera with reverse sensors and cross traffic alert. Not having that will be an adjustment, especially with the blind spots in the c-pillars. In terms of features, this Challenger is a downgrade. In terms of engines? No comparison!

I'm guessing I can't add a backup camera?
I know with the pre '15 Challengers that you can add an aftermarket camera. Having had them with and without, I'd never go back to not having a camera. Backing out in a parking lot is a guessing game without one.
This older thread may help:http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f202/2015-ra2-uconnect-5-0-oem-rear-view-camera-install-300738/

Reactions: metalhead79

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
The base R/T had the short spoiler without camera, to have the camera you need the full size spoiler. Should be able to buy the spoiler with camera, swap it out and get it to work. Check in Steve White Parts in the vendor section.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. There is now a red Challenger R/T in my garage where my Mustang used to be. I love it! It's everything I was looking for. I'm so happy to be back in a V8. I never want a turbo 4 again. I don't like how they drive.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. There is now a red Challenger R/T in my garage where my Mustang used to be. I love it! It's everything I was looking for. I'm so happy to be back in a V8. I never want a turbo 4 again. I don't like how they drive.
Congrats man! The 5.7L Hemi is a great engine. You'll love it!

I usually refer to the Ecoboost Mustangs as Fecalboost haha! I don't get them. That's probably the overall direction cars are headed though unfortunately. Glad you came back to the V8's again. Good luck with your new car!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Can't go wrong with the classic look. BTW if not performed by the previous owner you might want to get a skip shift eliminator (skip shift locks out 2nd and 3rd at certain speed/RPM) and remove the clutch delay valve (purposely delays clutch engagement).

Oh and you might want to check the intake manifold bolts for proper torque (mine were super loose), and if you notice the engine sounds like a sewing machine in the 1.5-2k RPM band you might want to look into upgrading the push rods.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't go wrong with the classic look. BTW if not performed by the previous owner you might want to get a skip shift eliminator (locks out 2nd and 3rd at certain speed/RPM) and remove the clutch delay valve (purposely delays clutch engagement).

Oh and you might want to check the intake manifold bolts for proper torque (mine were super loose), and if you notice the engine sounds like a sewing machine in the 1.5-2k RPM band you might want to look into upgrading the push rods.
I will educate myself on skip shift eliminator and the clutch valve delay.

I was hoping for a completely stock car, but who buys these cars and doesn't mod them? The salesman said it has a racing shifter, but he had no idea what brand. It looks like the stock shifter, so I don't know if he was lying or what. It is pretty notchy compared to my Mustang. I don't really like it. That'll probably be the first thing changed after I get the car lowered.

The previous owner had some mufflers welded in (I think Flowmaster, maybe Thrush) and the resonators removed. Sounds great.
I couldn't find any other mods to the car. It's even still stock ride height (looks like a 4x4, lol).

It has Alpine speakers. I'm assuming that's the sound group II 10 speaker upgrade? It's noticeably better than the 12 speaker Shaker system in the Mustang.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow after I get it cleaned up. I wouldn't let the dealership wash it. Don't need any extra swirls in the paint.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Congrats on your new car, I'm almost a year into the ownership of a 2013 RT. I love my car and hope to have it for years to come. Look forward to seeing more pics.

Mopar or No Car, Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Check out the BARTON shifter for your R/T it's the best quality for your money. I plan to get one as soon as I can get some other bills paid off.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,644 Posts
It has Alpine speakers. I'm assuming that's the sound group II 10 speaker upgrade? It's noticeably better than the 12 speaker Shaker system in the Mustang.
The base system and SGII both use Alpine speakers, the SGII has 2 sub woofers on the rear parcel shelf I believe

A Guy

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Mopar Stage I springs are the best option for lowering the car. Check with Steve White (forum vender & dealership) for availability and a forum discount. Post a pic of the shifter too, it may already have a Barton. If it looks stock, chances are it's just the factory unit which should feel better than your Mustang's shifter. I had two 6 speed Coyote Mustangs and the Tremec trans is superior as well as the stock Viper shifter.

And, as the saying goes, pics or it didn't happen...

Congrats on our new ride.

·
Registered
151 Posts
You can have the dealer retrofit a stock backup camera onto your R/T. The part is about 550.00 and installation is about 500. They say there is quite a bit of wiring up front. (I know the rear trunk and lid already have said wiring) My dealer said it comes in primer and highly recommended it be painted. Paint was only 200.00. I do not live near him so I agreed, however, if you do this, I would just buy the part and look at it first. All camera equipped spoilers are flat black and this may have been what the part description was referring to. As it is the dealer paint was flawless and I have the only camera equipped B5 Blue R/T with a patching spoiler so I like it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got her cleaned up today. Mostly, anyway. Still need to do the wheels and detail the engine bay. The dealer did just a passable job detailing the car. Not up to my standards, however. I'm picky, lol.

The salesman told me that it has an aftermarket shifter, but that looks stock to me. Does anyone know what shifter that is?

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Looks like a stock shifter to me.

Contrats!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts