Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So some buddies are recommending I hit up Sonoma Raceway with them on Wednesday...

...and while this sounds like an AWESOME fun day! I've never been on a drag strip before!!!

Additionally, I'm about to get an Edelbrock supercharger in the coming weeks, so I'd like to get a good "before and after" comparison.

Anyone have any words of encouragement for a stock 5.7/auto or specific tips and/or tricks?

So far, beyond the basics, I can think of:

- remove the spare/jack and any other loose items
- rear tires are Nitto Motivo 275/40/ZR20 on 9"wide rims at 36psi
- as close to a 1/4 tank of gas as I can make it
- I'll be driving in sport mode on the way to the track in hopes the adaptives shift at higher RPM
- turning sport mode OFF while on track to not hit rev-limiter
- Traction Control off of course
- attempt to barely stage to get an extra inch of speed
- take off plastic engine cover and bring bag of ice

...anything Challenger specific I should know?

Thanks in Advance

·
Registered
968 Posts
Good luck, that's a nice track.

The tires alone should make a great difference over stock. If you really are concerned with adaptives do a #2 fuse pull, and then drive to the track in sport mode aggressively.

Intake would be nice, but bag of ice sounds interesting. Never heard of that.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I've seen people at the track doing it for years. After your run open the hood and set a bag of ice on top of your intake manifold. My Uncle who raced/races Lightnings and Cobras did it religiously. I think it's really more for the serious competition though and not so much for guys like me who just go out Friday and have fun.

·
Registered
437 Posts
don't do it you will get hooked and there is no cure.
Dan
WHAT HE SAID!!!! I hit the strip for the first time Oct. 19th. Now I'm going to spend the winter shelling out THOUSANDS in performance upgrades!!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! But first I need to get a new Helmet asap for the Veteran's Day weekend drags in New Jersey (Etown and Atco) :cool:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen people at the track doing it for years. After your run open the hood and set a bag of ice on top of your intake manifold. My Uncle who raced/races Lightnings and Cobras did it religiously. I think it's really more for the serious competition though and not so much for guys like me who just go out Friday and have fun.
Heh, yeah, since this is my first time on an official 1320, I wouldn't begin to consider myself in the "serious competition" boat.....more like, in the "every little bit helps" boat. :)

...and besides, if I'm bringing a cooler full of drinks (no glass of course), might as well leave that ice in their bags (and maybe wrapped in a pillow case) to plop on the intake between runs in the heat of the California day.

Then again, aren't our 5.7 intakes plastic, not aluminum? ....hmmmph....

I think my biggest problem will be NERVES, and getting this 2-ton beast out of the hole!

:7:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Expect your reaction time to suck and dont worry about it. If you're using street tires, skip the waterbox and do a dry burnout. If you have an auto, leave on the 3rd yellow, manual - the 2nd. Personally I liked having the traction control off. HAVE FUN!!!! LOTS N LOTS OF FUN!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Our intakes are plastic but the ice should be fine.You say you are going to turn off trac control but i have run plenty of times with and without and i have been around the same times actually my best is 13.24 with on and 13.30 with off(on stock RSAs).So for your first time i say leave it on or you will go up in smoke if you hammer it off the line.You have to ease into the throttle out of the hole.Leave it in autostick and let the tranny shift by itself it will.Bring a helmet most tracks wont let you run without one if you run in the 13s.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Our intakes are plastic but the ice should be fine.You say you are going to turn off trac control but i have run plenty of times with and without and i have been around the same times actually my best is 13.24 with on and 13.30 with off(on stock RSAs).So for your first time i say leave it on or you will go up in smoke if you hammer it off the line.You have to ease into the throttle out of the hole.Leave it in autostick and let the tranny shift by itself it will.Bring a helmet most tracks wont let you run without one if you run in the 13s.
And it can't be a motorcycle helmet. It must be SNELL approved - either SA2005 or SA2010. No DOT helmets.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
And it can't be a motorcycle helmet. It must be SNELL approved - either SA2005 or SA2010. No DOT helmets.

Doh! I was going to bring a 3/4 Motorcycle helmet!!

Thanks for the heads-up!!

...I gotta go get one.... BY WEDNESDAY!?

Here's their regs --
Drivers and co-drivers (when permitted) and motorcycle riders must be at least 16 years old with a valid state driver’
license. Learner’ permits are not acceptable.
Participants age 16-17 must have a Minor Release and Waiver of Liability Form signed by legal guardians. Forms are
available in the race control room at the tower.
Shirts with sleeves and full-length pants required. No tank tops, bare torsos, shorts or exposed feet.
Helmet, meeting Snell M2005,SA2005 or or newer approval required on all quicker than 14.00 seconds and recommended
for all drivers
Muffler required limiting noise to no more than 114.9db measured at the starting line.
Seat belts and seats bolted to floor or frame.
Tires in good physical shape. Hubcaps must be removed for racing
Brakes must be in good working condition.
All wheel lug nuts must be used. Wheel studs must be threaded into the hex portion of lug nuts a distance at least equal to
the diameter of the stud.
Minimum of one working taillight required for evening operation.
Battery must be tied down with metal factory hardware. No plastic or rubber aftermarket hardware permitted.
Radiator must be equipped with an overflow catch can with a 1 pint minimum capacity.
Air cleaner required if no hood in place.
All windows must be free of damage and rolled up when competing.
Cars with slicks running 11.49 or quicker and any other cars that runs 11.49 or quicker must have a full circumference
driveline loop within 6" of front universal joint.
All convertibles running 12.00 to 13.49 seconds and all dune buggies 12.00 and slower must have an approved roll bar/side
bar and head protector, sufficiently padded and utilizing an approved five point quick release seat belt/shoulder harness (SFl
Spec 16-1, 3" straps, 2 year interval) and face shield or goggles.​
See the full rules for vehicles quicker than 11.50 seconds.

·
Banned
349 Posts
Good luck!

I have only done it once and it was an absolute blast! I tried it with my 68 Pontiac Firebird 400/4-speed car and ran a 12:55 in the 1/4 mile. Anyway, the thing I remember the most was how well the automatics preformed over the stick cars. Prior to that day I had always thought the opposite for some reason.

Enjoy it, it's something everyone should do at least once IMO...

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Yes, what 09 and Bill said, just have fun! Once you get TO the line, it all happens so fast, the next thing you know you are crossing the finish line at a furious pace. And if you are like me, your reaction time will be 1.27 seconds, which is horrible. Yeah, I got smoked by as 1972 Challenger, but it was a rush!
Keep trying and check yourself in the mirror, the smile will be huge!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I remember my first time....boy those were the days! Had my cherry popped by a 2011 Camaro ss in aqua blue!

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
So some buddies are recommending I hit up Sonoma Raceway with them on Wednesday...

...and while this sounds like an AWESOME fun day! I've never been on a drag strip before!!!

Additionally, I'm about to get an Edelbrock supercharger in the coming weeks, so I'd like to get a good "before and after" comparison.

Anyone have any words of encouragement for a stock 5.7/auto or specific tips and/or tricks?

So far, beyond the basics, I can think of:

- remove the spare/jack and any other loose items
- rear tires are Nitto Motivo 275/40/ZR20 on 9"wide rims at 36psi
- as close to a 1/4 tank of gas as I can make it
- I'll be driving in sport mode on the way to the track in hopes the adaptives shift at higher RPM
- turning sport mode OFF while on track to not hit rev-limiter
- Traction Control off of course
- attempt to barely stage to get an extra inch of speed
- take off plastic engine cover and bring bag of ice

...anything Challenger specific I should know?

Thanks in Advance
I would save the ice for the drinks unless it is over 90. Let her cool down 15 min. between runs. Your goal should be to get comfortable at the strip, not get a PB ET first time out.
air up the fronts to 40 PSI before your first run.
let the rears down to 24 - 26
I run sport mode and TC partially off.
leave on the third yellow and don't let off until your past the last box.
rinse & repeat.
have fun

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good luck!

Enjoy it, it's something everyone should do at least once IMO...

Yes, what 09 and Bill said, just have fun!

Keep trying and check yourself in the mirror, the smile will be huge!
Thanks for the encouragement fellas! ...and my cheeks are already in zero-G!

I would save the ice for the drinks unless it is over 90. Let her cool down 15 min. between runs. Your goal should be to get comfortable at the strip, not get a PB ET first time out.

leave on the third yellow and don't let off until your past the last box.
rinse & repeat.
have fun
Solid advice!! Thanks! btw: It's slated for ~68 degrees tomorrow, so affm. on the ice....

Well here you go: Learn How To Go Bracket Racing In A 1992 Chevy Caprice Wagon

It's at Sonoma Raceway, so now you know what to expect, from the time you arrive til you race! I just hope you beat the time of the Caprice Wagon......
Thanks for the link RWL11!! Enjoyed it!...I'll know just how to go around and look like I don't know what I'm doing or where I'm going...LOL (which I actually, thought I had down pat already) :D

Thanks again everyone!!!

...oh! and I found this 250.00 G-Force (with bag) on Craig's List for 60 bucks!! Perfect Fit! I'm all set!

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
And have fun I did!!!! Although I think adrenalin got the best of me...

Thanks again everyone for the tips!:thumbsup:

#1 - vs. Cadillac CTS-V twin turbo
#2 - vs. another CTS-V
#3 - vs. 2010 Mustang GT running 13.6s all night

First run of competition, I dropped the hammer on the FIRST yellow! Doh!!!:scratchhead:

...not too shabby for a rank amateur!:redcap:
( TIPS, COMMENTS AND DECIPHERING NUMBERS BELOW GREATLY WANTED AND APPRECIATED!!)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good job!! Looks like you red lighted on your first and third runs. VERY good times for a 5.7! Those are pretty much my numbers with my SRT8 6sp. My reaction time sucked. I keep forgeeting to snap photos of my time slips and post them. Will have to do tonight.

So ya hooked? Is there a blower, hi-stall converter, axles and slicks in your future? Lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts