Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has experience with THIS CAR COVER? My Challenger is a 2013 I purchased used 3 years ago. It is a daily driver with about 72,000 miles on it. While it is certainly in nice condition, it is certainly not showroom or pristine. It is garage parked 6 months of the year. The other 6 months it is in South Carolina where it sits outside in our condo complex parking lot. December and January are not a real problem. November and April we often times have sprinklers to contend with and the hard water spots can get bad. In fact, I just purchased Heavy Duty Water Spot Remover from Chemical Guys. (Works great!) February, March and into April has pollen falling like a hail storm. The stuff is thick. Anyway, I'm wanting to keep the car relatively clean of the pollen and I really want to prevent the hard water spots. This Gold Shield 5L cover seems as though it should do what I need. And, as covers go, the price is reasonable. In essence, over the next 4 years it will get the equivalent of 2 year's use. Any input is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
13,964 Posts
I have no personal experience with the CoverMaster Gold Shield 5L car cover, but for only $80, I would be a little cautious. On Amazon, there are several negative reviews about poor fit, plastic buckle rubbing and dirt pockets. I guess it all depends on how particular you are with your Challenger. Remember the old adage, "you get what you pay for." Here is one of the reviews:

"The material actually holds all the dust and dirt in the pockets of the cover which ends up going through the cover and all over the car, so I end up having to wash my car before I put the cover back on, even though the car was clean before I covered it.The dirt also makes the underside of the cover a dirty mess...it would make a nice indoor cover."

I have been using the excellent Noah car cover, made by Covercraft, for years. It costs $265 but it is a high quality cover that is gentle to the paint and comes with an industry best 6-year unconditional guarantee. Also, it is heavier than a lot of covers and holds up to the wind. Lighter covers will flap badly on windy days and often tear.

Check out the following fabric comparison chart.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one I'm looking at is $159.99. Don't know where the $80.00 reference is from.

Correction: I just went to Amazon which I hadn't looked at before. I am going to steer clear of this one now that I've read the reviews on Amazon. Naturally, those reviews were not on the customcover.com site I was looking at. I had considered the Noah cover you mention; but, I was also looking strongly at the Covercraft Weathershield HP cover. My interest in the Weathershield HP cover is the fact it is specifically mentioned in the features it is washable. That is not mentioned in the features for the Noah model. Because of how thick the pollen is, I believe that's a needed feature.

Thanks for your input and redirecting my search. (y)

·
Super Moderator
13,964 Posts
All Covercraft car covers, including the Noah are washable in a commercial laundry.

I used the Weathershield HP cover and would not recommend it. It is too light and flaps greatly on windy days- not a good thing for your paint. Mine actually tore from all of the flapping.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All Covercraft car covers, including the Noah are washable in a commercial laundry.

I used the Weathershield HP cover and would not recommend it. It is too light and flaps greatly on windy days- not a good thing for your paint. Mine actually tore from all of the flapping.
The interest in the HP is it's machine washable at home. However, I guess I'm stunned by you experience. I've read other threads and one that's highly recommended is the California Car Cover; but, at $541.00 for a daily driver with 73,000 miles it seems a bit much. Knowing when the pollen falls and when the sprinklers are on, I anticipate using the cover between 4 and 5 months each year. Fortunately, we're heading north tomorrow and the car won't return to SC until next November which allows me plenty of time to research (and "stew") over which cover to get.

I can see it's time to put together my spreadsheet for various covers and then go back thru the search engine on this site to find what others have to say about them. I'd really like to keep the cost below $300.00; but, I wouldn't rule out a somewhat higher cost if there were a compelling reason why the cover was that much better.

I will appreciate any other input anyone cares to offer. (y)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
369 Posts
I just this week recieved a cover from Sealskin car covers. I like the material but it was too short for the Challenger and didnt cover it all the way down on one side like it supposed to. Along with the slick ceramic coating job, it slides off to easy being too short. The link you posted i am intrested in as it lloks like a more custom fit. The Sealskin was $135 so this one isnt much more. But id like to read some reviews of it first.

Id like to cover my car in the summer as it isnt a daily and it just gets baked in the driveway here in Vegas.

Wifes car is in the garage :confused:

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have decided on the Noah by CoverCraft. I just could not justify in my mind the additional cost of the Weathershield HP. The Noah is a thicker cover than the HP; so, I expect it won't be moved as much by winds. The 2 drawbacks are it is not rated as washable in my home washing machine and it doesn't fold down as small as the HP for trunk storage. I can live with those differences. I'll be ordering it after the 1st of July as that's when my Discover Card gives me a 5% rebate on PayPal orders. Also, and I didn't check the shipping charges earlier, since I filled out the order form and didn't complete the checkout, I received an email from CoverCraft with a free shipping code to entice me to complete my order. If you're going to order from them, I suggest you fill out your order, look at the shipping charges, DON'T complete the check-out, and wait 2 or 3 days to see if you get the same free shipping offer.

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have decided on the Noah by CoverCraft. I just could not justify in my mind the additional cost of the Weathershield HP. The Noah is a thicker cover than the HP; so, I expect it won't be moved as much by winds. The 2 drawbacks are it is not rated as washable in my home washing machine and it doesn't fold down as small as the HP for trunk storage. I can live with those differences. I'll be ordering it after the 1st of July as that's when my Discover Card gives me a 5% rebate on PayPal orders. Also, and I didn't check the shipping charges earlier, since I filled out the order form and didn't complete the checkout, I received an email from CoverCraft with a free shipping code to entice me to complete my order. If you're going to order from them, I suggest you fill out your order, look at the shipping charges, DON'T complete the check-out, and wait 2 or 3 days to see if you get the same free shipping offer.
Well, i woudnt buy a car cover that is washable ...lol. Just something about washing a water proof car cover in a washing machine that dont sit well with me. And if it isnt waterproof, i dont want it.
Id just spray it off if it were dirty but i wouldnt want one that goes in the washing machine. But thats me. Just seems it can get damaged that way.

The link you posted for Carcover.com, the cover is a lifetime warranty for $159 and free shipping and a cable lock. The Noah Covercraft is $306 with a 4 year warranty. $272 from the link Cuda posted. Not sure why it is differnt.

This will be my third time with a cover when i order the Carcover in your link. Had a RainX that my Wife got....it was way too small. And of course the one i listed above.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need my cover to be washable. It is the outer surface that I need to wash as where it will be used the pollen falls like rain. Two days without washing the car and one can barely see out the windshield. That's a fact and not an exaggeration. With so much pollen falling for 2 months, I need to be able to easily clean the cover. The fact it is washable does not reduce its water proof/resistant capabilities.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I need my cover to be washable. It is the outer surface that I need to wash as where it will be used the pollen falls like rain. Two days without washing the car and one can barely see out the windshield. That's a fact and not an exaggeration. With so much pollen falling for 2 months, I need to be able to easily clean the cover. The fact it is washable does not reduce its water proof/resistant capabilities.
Wo_OW...my allergies would have me out for the count there. Its bad enough here but it isnt THAT thick.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wo_OW...my allergies would have me out for the count there. Its bad enough here but it isnt THAT thick.
In all seriousness, during March and April when out driving you can see clouds of it falling. It's kind of like seeing rain falling in the distant. However, we are relatively new to the area and locals tell me that this thick pollen is not what folks are allergic to. It is the same unseen pollens that cause the eye irritation and sneezing. We have that as well and I tend to take 2 Benadryl most mornings. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check out the shipping with autoanything.com and go with whichever is overall the least expensive.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If anybody has a cover they are using for their Challenger, what brand is it and is it worth getting? Asside from the two mentioned here.

I'm going to do some research and hopefully I can get some info from those that have covers that fit well and work well. I do like the one in this link but first hand usage is better to go by.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,912 Posts
I had a Stormweave cover from California Car Cover on my previous car for 21 years (well 2 different ones as I changed it after 14 years or so as cats had made the corners scratching posts). Under a car port so not out in the elements. Thick, but breathable, waterproof, but allowed moisture to escape. Soft inner later, custom fit mirror and antenna pockets, etc.

When I bought my Challenger I ordered it and had it when I picked up my car. Used it for about 3 weeks until I spoke to the detailer who was going to correct and coat my car. He said unless I wash the car before putting the cover on, and only a completely clean cover, it will rub the corners, etc.

I stopped using it that day even though it felt so odd to not cover it. When I took it to get corrected, he pointed out under lights not only all the factory blemishes, but where the cover had rubbed. So I have a almost new cover I keep in the trunk unless I need space. I tell this long story because it is a very good cover, has grommets on each side you can run a cable through through to keep it tight at the bottom (which has elastic all around too). Not cheap, but high quality. 4 layer material, UV resistant, thick enough to prevent minor door dings. Never came loose in high winds

A Guy

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just so folks are aware, you can get the "secret" discount on a CoverCraft cover. Rayzaa mentioned the Noah cover I had decided on ($306.00 direct from CoverCraft) was $272.00 at Autoanything.com. Sure enough, it was. I went to the site on 6/29/20 to price it out along with a storage bag and an extra strap. Well, I wasn't ready to buy as my Discover Card is offering 5% cash back on all gasoline purchases and PayPal purchases (tied to the card) from July 1 - September 30. The next day, June 30th, I got an email from Autoanything with the "secret" discount code for 10% off. It was their way, obviously, of getting me to move on my order. The net price of the cover went to $245.66 plus tax. I chose the free shipping option. With the $12.28 rebate from Discover, the net will then be $233.38 plus tax.

Rayzaa, thanks for making me look twice. (y)

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
369 Posts
Reason I'm inquiring is I usually do research before buying anything,....even an antenna lol. The Sealskin cover I got that didn't fit.....I mentioned it to my Wife and she went and ordered it before I could research it. I've found a lot of bad reviews about them sending the wrong one to bad customer service.

Well now mine don't fit and we are waiting to get a email from them to get a return label to print out to send it back.

Also found that it is a Oxgard cover and Sealskin must be some sort of middle man and they are cheaper elsewhere. Don't know why she jumped the gun on ordering it so quick. I just want one that fits and has worked well for others.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,800 Posts
... He said unless I wash the car before putting the cover on, and only a completely clean cover, it will rub the corners, etc.

I stopped using it that day even though it felt so odd to not cover it. When I took it to get corrected, he pointed out under lights not only all the factory blemishes, but where the cover had rubbed. ...
That is what I understand as well. I have seen disasters with car covers and wind, and if trailering a car, I would not recommend using a cover, maybe a film wrap first.
Like my dad taught me 40 years ago "never rub a dry anything with a dry anything unless you want it scratched"
Personally I would only use a car cover on a car that was covered, like in a garage but then I get in the "out of sight, out of mind" If I had to park in an apartment lot, I really don't know what I would do, but on my own property, if I wanted it covered when not used, I would use those that you drive on to secure it.
Something like this
or those "Car Tents" or "Car Umbrellas" that keep most of the car covered and are portable.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I had to park in an apartment lot, I really don't know what I would do...
In Illinois my car is in our garage so I won't use the cover those 6 months of the year; but, the rest of the year in SC it sits in the condo complex parking lot. That means 2 things. First is the 2 months of horrible pollen I'd rather not have to wash off every day or 2. Second, and much worse, is the sprinkler system. This March it left such bad hard water spots on the car in 1 day, I didn't think I'd be able to get them out. My usual methods didn't touch them. I finally found Heavy Duty Water Spot Remover offered by Chemical Guys. It worked wonders; but, I don't want to go thru that again. My '13 is a daily driver with almost 75,000 miles on it. It looks good, gets lots of compliments, but it is not pristine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts