Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I guess people weren't joking when they said the Factory Filter was put on by a 900lb Gorilla and torque multiplier.

That cost a pint of blood, at least it felt soooo good when the filter wall collapsed mixing hot engine oil with the blood.

I actually tried a bit extractor at one point.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Good job. You're lucky it didn't tear away at the crimped filter base area... that would be some real fun. Mine came off just fine even though I heard all the nightmare stories. It must have been a production run of so many engine units. At least they used a factory Mopar filter. When I did my Bullitt's first oil change the filter was all white, no markings whatsoever except a small "X" from a marker pen.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had the benefit of reading the potential problems with the first oil change on this forum and wisely decided to let the dealer do it. Glad now I did.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mine was also hard to get off, but when I changed the oil again, my filter had a drop of oil hanging, ready to drop. I've never had that ever but maybe I didn't tighten it enough for fear of it being hard again to get off!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have put filters on the Jeep 4.0 engines at the Kenosha Engine Plant. They are put on with an air gun with the above filter tool. They sit on a sponge with oil on it for lube. The gun spins it to torque. Inspectors check them several time a day. Even the women that do the job can put them on tight. Sorry, no gorillas. I guess the engineers think they will fall off.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
Mine was also hard to get off, but when I changed the oil again, my filter had a drop of oil hanging, ready to drop. I've never had that ever but maybe I didn't tighten it enough for fear of it being hard again to get off!
Make sure original filter gasket didn't remain in place as many do. I would think it would leak more than a drop with it there but if it matched up good who knows.

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
I have put filters on the Jeep 4.0 engines at the Kenosha Engine Plant. They are put on with an air gun with the above filter tool. They sit on a sponge with oil on it for lube. The gun spins it to torque. Inspectors check them several time a day. Even the women that do the job can put them on tight. Sorry, no gorillas. I guess the engineers think they will fall off.
Even the Women ? haha

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I guess it's luck of the draw, for when your motor comes through the line.

FYI, the gasket was B-O-N-E dry to the contact point with the block. It even stayed on the flange after I finally got the filter off.

I found an irony in that, since on the side of the filter it clearly shows a finger dipped in oil lubricating the contact point of the gasket.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I change the oil on my motorcycle, truck, boat and all my other combustion driven equipment but when I read the nightmare stories I took my Challenger to the local Dodge dealership for its first oil change and was glad I did!

I watched as the oil change monkey fought and fought with the filter. He got another mechanic who did the same thing. They both set out around the shop collecting filter wrenches of various types and still fought and struggled. After what must have been 15-20 minutes they finally got the filter off.

Best $$ I ever spent (of course it was free).

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Sometimes the change monkey at the dealer will over torque it too.

·
Super Moderator
13,853 Posts
FYI, the gasket was B-O-N-E dry to the contact point with the block. It even stayed on the flange after I finally got the filter off.
That was my experience. I used the correct oil wrench but spent about 10 minutes, and a lot of muscle, getting it to spin off. The rubber gasket was dry and it actually separated from the oil filter. I had to peel it off the flange.

Instead of a 900 lb. gorilla, I guess we're dealing with a 90 lb. chimp with an air gun. :silly:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts