Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother needs a new car, so I'm helping her out. She loves the challenger. We test drove one & she's hooked (as am I!) I'm just really impressed by this car overall. I'm a truck guy (I have a Ram 2500) & wow, this car is fun to drive. I love my truck but damn!

Anyways, she wants to get a Plum Crazy R/T & I think I found a solid one. Here's what it comes with:

Included Packages

Quick Order Package 28M R/T Classic ($4,000)
  • Wheels: 20" x 8.0" Painted Aluminum
  • Tires: P245/45R20 BSW AS Performance
  • 276 Watt Amplifier
  • 6 Boston Acoustics Speakers
  • Challenger Script Badge
  • Dual Black R/T Side Stripes
  • Functional Hood Scoop
  • Heated Front Seats
  • High Intensity Discharge Headlamps
  • Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats
  • ParkSense Rear Park Assist System
  • Firestone Brand Tires
Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic ($1,200)
  • 215mm Rear Axle
  • 3.06 Rear Axle Ratio
  • Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Performance Brakes
  • Autostick Automatic Transmission
  • Conventional Differential Rear Axle
  • Remote Start System
  • Sport Mode
  • Steering Wheel Mounted Shift Control
  • Tip Start
Radio: UConnect 430N CD/DVD/MP3/HDD/NAV ($1,095)
  • 40GB Hard Drive w/28GB Available
  • 6.5" Touch Screen Display
  • Audio Jack Input for Mobile Devices
  • Garmin Navigation System
  • SIRIUS Satellite Radio
  • SIRIUSXM Travel Link
  • 1-Year SIRIUSXM Travel Link Service
Wheels: 20" x 8.0" Polished Aluminum Classic ($995)
  • 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio

Additional Options

• 50 State Emissions
  • Engine: 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
  • Power Sunroof
  • Sound Group II
  • 40GB Hard Drive w/28GB Available
  • 368 Watt Amplifier
  • 6.5" Touch Screen Display
  • 7 Boston Acoustic Speakers w/Subwoofer
Features

CONVENIENCE FEATURES
  • 1-touch down
  • Driver vanity mirror
  • Tilt steering wheel
  • Auto-dimming rearview mirror
  • Air conditioning
  • Front beverage holders
  • Speed control
  • Illuminated entry
  • Telescoping steering wheel
  • Rear beverage holders
  • Automatic temperature control
  • Power windows
  • Passenger door bin
  • Overhead console
  • Passenger vanity mirror
  • Remote keyless entry
  • Driver door bin
  • Voice recorder
  • Navigation system: Garmin
  • Power moonroof
ENTERTAINMENT FEATURES
  • Radio data system
  • Wireless phone connectivity: uconnect w/Bluetooth
  • DVD-Audio
  • MP3 decoder
  • AM/FM radio: SIRIUS
  • 1st row LCD monitors: 1
  • Speakers: 8
  • Steering wheel mounted audio controls
  • Internal memory capacity (GB): 28 GB
  • CD player
SEATS AND TRIM
  • Leather shift knob
  • Heated front seats
  • Max seating capacity: 5
  • Rear seats: bench
  • Front seats: bucket
  • Front center armrest
  • Leather upholstery
  • Power driver seat
  • Rear seat center armrest
  • Split folding rear seat
BODY EXTERIOR
  • Spoiler
  • Tailpipe finisher: chrome
  • Door mirrors: body-color
  • Rear cargo: trunk
  • Power door mirrors
  • Bumpers: body-color
  • Pin stripe
LIGHTING, VISIBILITY AND INSTRUMENTATION
  • Tachometer
  • Fully automatic headlights
  • High intensity discharge headlights
  • Trip computer
  • Front reading lights
  • Front fog lights
  • Delay-off headlights
  • Variably intermittent wipers
  • Parking sensors: rear
  • Rear window defroster
  • Low tire pressure warning
I think that's everything you guys would need to know.

The dealership is asking just over $35,700 after dealer discount/MFG Rebate. I have a vehicle to trade in, but I can negotiate that myself. What's a fair price to settle on? I really don't want to over pay.

If you stuck around this long, thanks. I apologize for the long post & appreciate any insight. I can't stand negotiating prices at dealerships.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
If you build it on Hassle-free car-buying experience from a nationwide network of certified dealers. - TrueCar then it will give you their guaranteed price for the car, I've found TrueCar's pricing to beat out just about everyone and the guaranteed price is a good bargaining chip if the dealer doesn't participate in the program (Which is free for you to use). I've bought the last 2 vehicles using it and paid a hair over dealer cost (Well under invoice). It even beat out my employee discount.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
Sounds like its a good price BUT ... I agree 100% with Yahooligan Check out TrueCar!! I did that and it gave me some great ammunition in "dealer negotiation" :thumbsup:

regards

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys!

I did both.

Truecar showed the car being $2000 less in value than Edmunds ($35,800 vs $37,800!), in case anyone was wondering.

So truecar says it's worth $35,886 & the dealership wants $35,700. Obviously, if it's already priced here, I can get them to drop it a little (Even $700 would be nice to take off).

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well I personally always always always negotiate off Invoice price which Edmunds gives you in a nice detailed format breakdown for each option and final price.

That's what I did for my challenger I ordered (in frame status now) and I got them down to 2k under invoice. You start digging into their dealer holdbacks when you go that low which is typically 2-3% of MSRP in value.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks guys!

I did both.

Truecar showed the car being $2000 less in value than Edmunds ($35,800 vs $37,800!), in case anyone was wondering.

So truecar says it's worth $35,886 & the dealership wants $35,700. Obviously, if it's already priced here, I can get them to drop it a little (Even $700 would be nice to take off).

What do you guys think?
It depends on how much effort you want to put into the negotiation. Car dealers will tell you a lot to make you think you're getting a good deal. To me, $35k for that car sounds high. I've always been able to beat TrueCar by at least a grand, most of the time more.

Look into factory holdbacks (money the dealership gets from the factory when they sell the car. . . it allows them to make money even if they sell it at a "loss"). Be prepared to mention those when the dealer tells you they're not going to make any money on the car (which is BS 9/10 times)

Basically, don't tell the dealer what you want your monthly payment to be EVER. They have all kinds of tricks in the finance department that can get you an expensive car for a moderate monthly payment. Negotiate the selling price of the car and once that is where you want it to be, negotiate the monthly payment.

Dealer discounts and incentives are just a starting point for the negotiation.

Also, be prepared to walk away. Be prepared to say no. When they start coming back with monthly payments, say no until it's what you want. If they don't want to play ball, walk. They'll chase you down in the parking lot.

I purchased a $34k F-150 for $26k, a $42k SRT Core for $36k, and my wife's $25k Buick for $22k.

I think you can do at least $2k better on that car.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Check the Dodge website for Rebates, they may be $2000 right now.

And No Super Track Pack on that car? A must for me, but maybe not Mom.

Reactions: Blinddriver

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well apparently I'm not the expert negotiator that others here obviously are, cause I think that is a really good price.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You may also want to consider a warranty. If Ma plans on keeping the car you might look into the Max Care Lifetime Warranty. Overall, I think you could get the car at least a couple grand cheaper since dealers are trying to clear the lots of 2013 models to make room for the 2014s.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with MPX. Always negotiate the price of the car and the offer for your trade in, never negotiate payment. And definitely be prepared to walk away. I walked from two dealerships before I found one that would deal, and it was worth the effort. And never be afraid to offer a low price, the worst they can do is say no. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,419 Posts
Everyone here got a different price due to having a different skill level in negotiations. The most important thing is are you satisfied with the price? Hope your mom enjoys every mile!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks guys.

I actually discovered she doesn't want leather seats, so back to square one.

The site, truecar, has really helped though & I'll apply the same principle to the next challenger we're looking at.

I'll update you guys if we end up getting this one (or another one). We'll be talking about it over the next few days.

I agree with MPX. Always negotiate the price of the car and the offer for your trade in, never negotiate payment. And definitely be prepared to walk away. I walked from two dealerships before I found one that would deal, and it was worth the effort. And never be afraid to offer a low price, the worst they can do is say no. Good luck!
You hit the nail on the head buddy. I never EVER discuss payments.

I'm hoping to put 10K towards the purchase, so that should help a ton. :eusa_dance: Might have to get it custom painted. She really REALLY wanted a purple one & I can't blame her.

edit:

I've run into an interesting issue.

It seems impossible to find an R/T (any color) that has cloth seats, uconnect 430/730 & super track pak. All seem to have leather seats & won't downgrade to cloth. I know the u430 can be added, but i'm concerned without the stp, the challenger won't drive as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts