Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger Scat Pack Blacktop Package 6MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gentlemen,

I'm working on prepping my new clutch for my 2018 6.4 6MT, cleaning the surfaces with B-12 chem-tool yada, yada yada.. Until that is, I've come across an Idea! It may be an odd one, but it's one I'm willing to tackle.

After doing a bit of my own Internet research, a-lot of the answers I've ended up discovering were meant, well more for dummies that would paint the entire clutch surface and all. I've painted engine blocks and bell housings before but never painted the body of a flywheel; and well never needed to until I've gotten my dream car (my SP).

I know that nobody will see it, but it's the thought of knowing you have a clean, color matching flywheel/Pressure Plate.

If you see the photo below, I hope you can see the trend I'm going for with the 3M tape. I specifically have purchased an edge-locking tape and a low residue tape by 3M. Now the only questions that can come to my mind in the moment is:

A) Will it knock the flywheel out of balance?

Questions I've already answered myself:

A) The clutch would never contact the paint.
B) ALL the mounting surfaces would remain 'bare metal'

Just brainstorming some ideas,
We'll see. I look forward to making a judgment call off everyone's input and if at the end of the day 'I shouldn't paint it' then 'Oh, well'.

FYI, Gear Teeth would get masked too.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,197 Posts
If it makes you happy, do it.

But seems like a waste of time to me. And there's a good chance the paint will turn colors from heat and get covered wirh clutch dust anyway.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,705 Posts
mask off the surface, mask off the starter ring, mask off the pilot bearing, mask off the mating surface to crank, mask off the bolt holes...Why not paint the rough surfaces of the crank and camshaft while you're at it? Also bare metal things that nobody would ever see.

Reactions: FreddyG

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,197 Posts
People do actually paint the inside of engines sometimes to help seal in any leftover sand from the sand casting process and to help with oil drainback.

They often use Glyptal.

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
I don't really see any advantage and its a component you'll never see.

The other part is the heat - how would the paint hold up? You don't want paint melting of flaking off, especially where friction surfaces are around all that.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
352 Posts
Hi,

Unless your car will sit for long time in a high humidity place, I would say no, as the paint will flake off and possibly contaminate the friction material, if you drive it semi-regularly the heat from the clutch should keep rust at bay.

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,197 Posts
I would not worry about the paint contaminating the clutch. But that is only based on pressure plates being painted.

·
Registered
2021 Redeye
358 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,596 Posts
People do actually paint the inside of engines sometimes to help seal in any leftover sand from the sand casting process and to help with oil drainback.

They often use Glyptal.
I used Glyptal when I put together my old 540 ci BBC and it does work well. As far as painting the flywheel, can I ask what is the purpose of doing that? I honestly don't have any idea why you'd do that and thought that I could learn something.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
1,197 Posts
I used Glyptal when I put together my old 540 ci BBC and it does work well. As far as painting the flywheel, can I ask what is the purpose of doing that? I honestly don't have any idea why you'd do that and thought that I could learn something.
You'll have to ask the OP as I can only think of one reason. And that's just because you want to.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If the right paint is used, like caliper paint and the surface being painted is prepped then i see no reason it would flake.
They paint pressure plates and have no issues.
I dont see a reason to paint it though. No ones ever going to see it. Bellhousing is fully enclosed.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger Scat Pack Blacktop Package 6MT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Lol, Enough had been said.

I've seen McLeon Clutches colored red, yellow, blue, etc on the pressure plate and still nobody sees it. I'm sure if it were that stupid of an idea, they wouldn't spend money on labor doing that crap. I ended up not painting the clutch pack at all and now have the trans out of the car and the clutch installed nicely, BARE METAL !!!😖

Thanks everyone, you all had very good points. 🙏 Decided to save the money and go with Powder-Coating my TR6060 instead while its out of the car and pulled apart. Currently doing the syncromesh fix/upgrade and bronze fork plate upgrade.

While I'm at it, I'll paint the inside of the trans too.. Good Point. 😐🎤

1 - 14 of 14 Posts