Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw some threads about these tires having what appears to be cosmetic sidewall issues ie, "Chunking". Well at less then 300 miles one of my rear tires on my brand new Challenger are doing the same thing. Visited a Goodyear tire dealer and was blown off. Guess I'll have to call Goodyear now...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had my old F1s do something like this also. Unfortunetly I didn't take a picture of them though. It actually looked like something had come in contact with the tire and removed a bit of the rubber right where the tread transitions into the sidewall.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Just wondering what tire pressure are you running on your F1s? My dealer and I don't seem to agree . I like to run 34 lbs but the dealer says 40. Its a daily driver. Any comments from anybody?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Just wondering what tire pressure are you running on your F1s? My dealer and I don't seem to agree . I like to run 34 lbs but the dealer says 40. Its a daily driver. Any comments from anybody?
Look inside your door jam. It will tell you what the tires are supposed to be cold. I believe they're 32 lbs cold.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
And you have not been doing burnouts - correct?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Look inside your door jam. It will tell you what the tires are supposed to be cold. I believe they're 32 lbs cold.

Yep, I know what the door jam calls for and it does say 32 lbs. but I was just curious to see if anybody does run more pressure and for what reason. I cant understand why the dealer thinks 40 lbs. is good. I think they ride terrible at that pressure and don't have good traction. Just last week I had new wheels put on and sure enough each one had 40-41 lbs. Had to let 6 lbs. out when I got home. If only I could drop 6 lbs. that easy!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Because the dealer is a moron. Most of the time they have no freaking idea what they're taking about. Follow what the manufacturer recommends. I always ran mine at 32 cold. I even run my nitto nt05s at 32. Heck, I run 32 on my escalate and suburban as well. I get over 60k miles on those tires on my SUVs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Because the dealer is a moron. Most of the time they have no freaking idea what they're taking about. Follow what the manufacturer recommends. I always ran mine at 32 cold. I even run my nitto nt05s at 32. Heck, I run 32 on my escalate and suburban as well. I get over 60k miles on those tires on my SUVs.

You're probably right. Its amazing what the dealers don't know. I normally run 32 on my cars but for some reason I like to run 34 on the Challenger. Seems to be a little firmer cornering but probably my imagination or my senility setting in. Doubt I can actually feel 2 lbs. diff.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
You're probably right. Its amazing what the dealers don't know. I normally run 32 on my cars but for some reason I like to run 34 on the Challenger. Seems to be a little firmer cornering but probably my imagination or my senility setting in. Doubt I can actually feel 2 lbs. diff.

It also depends on your climate. I live in Los Angeles and when it gets really hot, the psi goes up about 4 or 5 while driving. But if you live in a cold climate, I can see 34psi where you'd only get about 2 or 3 psi bump when you're tires get warm. But 40 is ridiculous. Even some tires shops don't know jack. I always have to tell them and make sure they set the tire pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I have these tires on my 2014 Shaker 889 miles and right front tire has numerous chunks or gouges looks like it was rubbed on a curb or something.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
If you are turning so hard, the sidewalls are rolling over to contact the pavement, you need more tire pressure to stiffen the tire carcass, right?

Pics please? ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I run 34 psi.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yah I had the right front tire with big quarter sized chunks about half an inch apart all around the tire didn't notice till I got home. I drove back to the dealer the next morning and they replaced the tire.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yep, I know what the door jam calls for and it does say 32 lbs. but I was just curious to see if anybody does run more pressure and for what reason. I cant understand why the dealer thinks 40 lbs. is good. I think they ride terrible at that pressure and don't have good traction. Just last week I had new wheels put on and sure enough each one had 40-41 lbs. Had to let 6 lbs. out when I got home. If only I could drop 6 lbs. that easy!

Same here man. Dealer filled mine up to 41 or so when I picked it up. Took it in last weekend to have them look at something and they "topped me off" and had me back up in the 40 range. I had to ask that question here a few weeks ago because I thought I was missing something. Not sure why they keep putting so much air in them

·
Registered
320 Posts
Its a conspiracy to make them prematurely wear out... don't know either my local dealer likes to put random amounts of air in each tire. Last trip mine came out looking like this 37 39 34 36 I bleed them all down to 34 its annoying to say the least.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had to look at my tire it says "Max pressure" is "51psi" on the side wall, I keep mine @ 35, seems fine, any more and I would worry about the center of the tire wearing quicker.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Got my 2 new tires installed today. Were replaced because of cupping tears.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I'm an auto transporter. It didn't happen on transport, not saying that it can't though. Most of the time you will get fender damage also when you get a tire on a car. I'm going with pothole damage. These tires do hook up surprisingly well when the pavement temps are up, cold pavement is worthless. I just ran my 392 down the track 12.44 @ 113 with a 1.80 60ft, 750mi on a showroom stock car.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts