Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 r/t been at the track twice. Mods- 17" m/h drag radials, k/n drop in filter, and resonator delete.
Pretty consistent 13.5 /13.4 runs. Well was going to make a couple more passes before calling it a day and decided to
Remove the plastic engine cover. Lined up and ran a 13.2 didn't make another run was really happy I ran what it did and not breaking anything. Ran my best time and hit the Rev limiter going to 3rd like I usually do. Is it a fluke or does pulling that cover make that much of a difference?

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
Shouldnt make a difference.. Not sure why it would! The only think i can think of is the engine was cooled enough to give you a little extra.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I'm guessing when you opened the hood to remove the cover, you also freed a bunch of hot engine bay air in the process. :D

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Always wondered why dodge put those covers on the 5.7s. They are not the best looking, no offense, and they do look like they would hold in all that engine heat soak. ?????

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
They do hold a lot of heat in the fuel rails with them on. Chances are the air (DA) was getting better and that was contributing to your improvements.
Were your 60' times better on the 13.2 run? Fresh track prep can cut your 60' times by a tenth which would help you .2 overall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope 60ft was actually slower. Our track is almost sea level and temp stayed the same all day. Well won't be running with it on anymore. Was just wondering if anyone has had the samething happen to them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pulled my cover the 1st day I brought it home, there is no doubt that the cover will retain engine heat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
First off, the engine cover is purely cosmetic and unfortunately, doubles as a heat trap...the 5.7 has a lot if hoses, cables, wires, etc...so the only purpose it serves is to clean up the appearance and occasionally keep water off the coil packs.

BTW, avoiding to hit the rev limiter may yield faster 1/4 mile runs. The 5.7 is a mid-range motor...try finding a shift point that starts the next gear in the low to mid-4000s rpms. This may keep the rear tires at peak torque for more of the run. Depending on your gearing, high 12s are achievable at sea level.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts