Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a quote from a reputable speed shop close to my house who specializes in mopar today to forge my 5.7 for $6500 total out the door. I may get this done next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pistons, rods, crank and some head work. I already have headers. Oh and a new cam.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not get into too many details but he is well known in the area for performance. He is in the drag racing arena as well. Comes from a family of racing. His dad was a big time racer some years back. He passed away a few years ago and he took over the shop.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
So you are going to spend 6500 with no details on what you are getting? We have been involved with Mopar and Pro street NHRA and Sprint cup Nascar for over 30 years but all our customers still get the details on there build. I am not trying get to give you are hard time bud, but something doesn't seem right.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally know him so he is not trying to screw me or do anything shady. I'll get more details when I'm ready. He had done more late model hemi builds then j can count.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I got a quote from a reputable speed shop close to my house who specializes in mopar today to forge and stroke my car. $6500 total out the door. I may get this done next fall.

Great price if that includes forging the short block and installation. If he has MOPAR experience you are getting a good deal. Most shops that just specialize in HEMI's will charge you around $10K for this type of work. I have received quotes as low as $2500 for installation and tuning up to over $4000. LOL Installation of a short block is not rocket science, it just takes time and the right tools.

I am seeing more and more shops that work on Hemi's at a good price. IMO now that the VVT has been out for a while and tuning has gotten more mature, more shops are getting into the MOPAR performance arena. I see no reason why someone should charge over $4000 for installation and tuning for a short block. When I had my 2012 Mustang GT the routine cost to drop the engine and put the Boss 302 forged rotating assembly in was $2500 plus the cost of the forged parts.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
The problem is the price on parts I know what they are and at that price they are either using cheap parts or he is really doing him a favor and selling everything at cost and free labor. People think we make a killing on these parts and that is not the case maybe 10% after shipping and cc fees. Any decent rotating assembly is $2800 just for crank, pistons and rods. That doesnt include Labor block machining. bearings, gaskets, timing chain, lifters, oil pump ect... That should be done if you are doing a new build.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Great price if that includes forging the short block and installation. If he has MOPAR experience you are getting a good deal. Most shops that just specialize in HEMI's will charge you around $10K for this type of work. I have received quotes as low as $2500 for installation and tuning up to over $4000. LOL Installation of a short block is not rocket science, it just takes time and the right tools.

I am seeing more and more shops that work on Hemi's at a good price. IMO now that the VVT has been out for a while and tuning has gotten more mature, more shops are getting into the MOPAR performance arena. I see no reason why someone should charge over $4000 for installation and tuning for a short block. When I had my 2012 Mustang GT the routine cost to drop the engine and put the Boss 302 forged rotating assembly in was $2500 plus the cost of the forged parts.
All the parts are manley, crank, pistons and rods. The valves and springs will be replaced as well but we did not talk about price on that. Not looking to change out the cam specs much. I just want a forged rotating assembly so I can increase the boost to 10 - 12 lbs without a problem. I trust this guy, he has done work for me in the past.

Not looking to build a monster, I just want the performance I had with my Blown 2008 4.6 Mustang which was running 11 lbs of boost. And that was on stock internals.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
He is most likely giving you a break on the install/machining cost. Here is what a good forged short block and installation would cost me (initial estimate) if I went with a local shop here in Knox. I would purchase the short block from one of the Hemi vendors and let them install.

392 Forged Short Block, MOPAR Timing set & Oil Pump, Mopar Main Caps With ARP Main/Head Studs, Cometic Head Gaskets, 4032 pistons, Forged H-Beam Rods, Crank spacer and Rear Seal: $5,000

Mopar OEM HEMI Head Bolts & Head Gasket Set: $200
Royal Purple Oil, Filter, Mopar Antifreeze: $125
Parts/Fluid: $5425
20 hours labor @ 100/hr: $2000
Remote dyno tuning with Diablo tuner: $650
Total: $7975

But the figure that is mentioned the most on these forums is $10K for a stroker! I am still trying to figure what the extra $2000 is going towards. My shops estimate for labor is actually high because they charge $85/hour. OST Dyno charges a flat $1900 for a short block swap. (Vendor on this site and great tuner)

When you think about it, that extra $2000 could be used to purchase a set of Ported Heads. (Arrington sells Eagle ported heads with PSI springs for $2150)

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
He is most likely giving you a break on the install/machining cost. Here is what a good forged short block and installation would cost me (initial estimate) if I went with a local shop here in Knox. I would purchase the short block from one of the Hemi vendors and let them install.

392 Forged Short Block, MOPAR Timing set & Oil Pump, Mopar Main Caps With ARP Main/Head Studs, Cometic Head Gaskets, 4032 pistons, Forged H-Beam Rods, Crank spacer and Rear Seal: $5,000

Mopar OEM HEMI Head Bolts & Head Gasket Set: $200
Royal Purple Oil, Filter, Mopar Antifreeze: $125
Parts/Fluid: $5425
20 hours labor @ 100/hr: $2000
Remote dyno tuning with Diablo tuner: $650
Total: $7975

But the figure that is mentioned the most on these forums is $10K for a stroker! I am still trying to figure what the extra $2000 is going towards. My shops estimate for labor is actually high because they charge $85/hour. OST Dyno charges a flat $1900 for a short block swap. (Vendor on this site and great tuner)

When you think about it, that extra $2000 could be used to purchase a set of Ported Heads. (Arrington sells Eagle ported heads with PSI springs for $2150)
What about fuel system? Pump injectors ect.. Why are they using oem gaskets and bolts on a stroker build. It should be using Arp and cometic head gaskets IMO

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Here is what a good forged short block and installation would cost me (initial estimate) if I went with a local shop here in Knox. I would purchase the short block from one of the Hemi vendors and let them install.

But the figure that is mentioned the most on these forums is $10K for a stroker! I am still trying to figure what the extra $2000 is going towards.

Just throwing out some other possible costs since you wouldn't use a stock 5.7 cam...

$500 for the springs / retainers / rods?
$800 for the cam
$250 for MDS delete (Auto only)
$100 for cam phaser

There is another $1650 of that $2k.. or did you already have that stuff accounted for?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not talked to him about price on that stuff yet and when I do, I'm sure it will be reasonable.

If your trying to make a sales pitch, your doing a poor job of it. Attacking a builder I personally know is not a good way to start it.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Just throwing out some other possible costs since you wouldn't use a stock 5.7 cam...

$500 for the springs / retainers / rods?
$800 for the cam
$250 for MDS delete (Auto only)
$100 for cam phaser

There is another $1650 of that $2k.. or did you already have that stuff accounted for?
Springs and MDS delete are extras like the Cam and phaser. The quote I got above for the short block (Consistant price among most builders ($4900-$5100) is without the Cam. The $10k installation included short block only and did nothing to the heads. That is where you get hammered. If you get a Cam that requires spring upgrades along with pushrods ect. then the price is higher than $10K for a forged engine.

The price of the Comp Cams has come down since I got my car. You can get any of the three that are not custom grinds (266, 270 and 274) for $670. I have been quoted a custom grind from two MOPAR shops at $500

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very well said.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
Springs and MDS delete are extras like the Cam and phaser. The quote I got above for the short block (Consistant price among most builders ($4900-$5100) is without the Cam. The $10k installation included short block only and did nothing to the heads. That is where you get hammered. If you get a Cam that requires spring upgrades along with pushrods ect. then the price is higher than $10K for a forged engine.

The price of the Comp Cams has come down since I got my car. You can get any of the three that are not custom grinds (266, 270 and 274) for $670. I have been quoted a custom grind from two MOPAR shops at $500

Got it. Yeah if you are going to stroke the motor, it makes no sense not to swap the cam and then you have "Sensuous" syndrome. Sensuous in there, you should do the heads and see if your intake can be gasket matched and ported, larger TB, etc, etc.

A bit off track here but have you seen any dyno sheets or track results for the 266 or 270 cam?

·
Registered
424 Posts
We can debate about this forever, bottomline $6,500.00 is too damn cheap for this kinda build. As with anything in life, you get what you pay for. It's obvious your builder must either love you very much, or he owes you money and wants to do the work for free.

Good luck

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We could debate this all day and the more you read between the words and put your own spin on it will change everything.

I think this is a fair price, not cheep. We are talking about a crank, pistons and rods and that's it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts