Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Yep, there's a point system and also gets reported to insurance. I think the class is like $110 or something and the citation wouldn't go on my record, but that's not the point. The point is I wasn't speeding. I'm just a stickler like that.

On the way home I went back by the location I received the citation.

The officer stopped me 1046 feet from the traffic light including a 5 lane intersection.

Also, he and his partner were writing citations 26 feet beyond a speed change sign. It's 45 on one side of the sign and 30 on the other. Makes me wonder how legal that is to begin with. I mean 26 feet inside the new speed zone and you know they're getting your speed well before that posted speed sign so they have time to step out in front of you to make you stop.

I'll be going Sunday and taking a few photographs. I have some faith in the justice system, whether right or wrong. We'll see what happens. I may change my tune after my court data haha ask me in a month.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Crappy cops suck. If he's confused on how to use a radar gun, I fear what may happen if he ever has to use a real gun.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I had an issue like this earlier, cop was next to me, cop across the road, me and the cop next to me get the green turn light...he starts to go, I go, bam lights on his cruiser and the one across the road come on and they say I ran the turn light? o_O, thankfully had "connections" so it was thrown out...but wow, some cops are just jerks these days, flat out liars.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
I would fight it, just the points and insurance alone is worth the fight. Usally they will drop it to 5MPH over and this just gives a small fine, no points or insurance notification.
Tout

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
J sorry to here this but you know the HO is an attention getter and only 26feet to slow down well kinda looks like a trap but hey it's posted and that sucks. I wish you the best on your defense the law has a way of equaling everything out...in reference to your data logging we all do it but hopefully you can prove that the unit was not up to current certification...

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
J sorry to here this but you know the HO is an attention getter and only 26feet to slow down well kinda looks like a trap but hey it's posted and that sucks. I wish you the best on your defense the law has a way of equaling everything out...in reference to your data logging we all do it but hopefully you can prove that the unit was not up to current certification...
Exactly Jeff. If I get a ticket at least let me EARN it. Then I'd just go to class and call it a day.

I'm quite confident either the officer left his previous offender's speed locked on the equipment, OR it picked up another vehicle approaching the intersection. At any rate, I asked my Dad about the 26 feet from the 30MPH sign as well and he said the judge would frown on the fact that the officers were that close to the posted limit considering they have to step out in the road to make the stop.

I believe they were actually shooting the other direction as the speed goes from 35 to 30 and their cars were hidden behind the Lowe's straw trailer from that direction as well. From the stop light I was at, they were literally in plain site and actually stood out. I thought there had been either an accident or a shop lifter.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I beg to differ.

I often will estimate my speed that I'm driving without looking at the speedometer, to see how close I can come to the actual speed. I'm ALWAYS within 5 MPH.

YMMV

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In this case I wasn't estimating anything. I was literally staring at the speedo as I passed the 30MPH sign. One of those "gonna be sure here" type of things.

Like I said, then I pushed in the clutch and started to coast as I thought there had been an accident and here the officer comes from the side of the road. They were standing outside their patrol cars.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I have some faith in the justice system, whether right or wrong. We'll see what happens. I may change my tune after my court data haha ask me in a month.
I used to be a trial attorney. notice i said used to be. thats because I have VERY LITTLE faith in the justice system.

if the cop has even a few trials under his belt, he knows exactly what to say on the witness stand to convict you. anything that he may know that may help exonerate you will not be recollected or downright disputed. guaranteed.

a cop on the stand takes pride in getting the judge to believe him. he will not say anything that will help you (or least not intentionally). When a judge sides against a cop, they take it personally as if his integrity is being questioned so they make sure they have an iron clad case- even if it is a little adjusted for the audience.

ask him how he knows that 47mph car was you and he'll respond that he saw you and visually estimated your speed and that he is trained to do this, blah blah blah blah. If you ask him whether or not it was possible thAT THE RADAR RECORDED THE SPEED OF ANOTHER DRIVER AND HE'LL RESPOND THAT YOU WERE THE FASTER CAR IN THE BUNCH AND THAT NO ONE WAS MOVING FASTER THAN YOU WERE.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
I used to be a trial attorney. notice i said used to be. thats because I have VERY LITTLE faith in the justice system.

if the cop has even a few trials under his belt, he knows exactly what to say on the witness stand to convict you. anything that he may know that may help exonerate you will not be recollected or downright disputed. guaranteed.

a cop on the stand takes pride in getting the judge to believe him. he will not say anything that will help you (or least not intentionally). When a judge sides against a cop, they take it personally as if his integrity is being questioned so they make sure they have an iron clad case- even if it is a little adjusted for the audience.

ask him how he knows that 47mph car was you and he'll respond that he saw you and visually estimated your speed and that he is trained to do this, blah blah blah blah. If you ask him whether or not it was possible thAT THE RADAR RECORDED THE SPEED OF ANOTHER DRIVER AND HE'LL RESPOND THAT YOU WERE THE FASTER CAR IN THE BUNCH AND THAT NO ONE WAS MOVING FASTER THAN YOU WERE.
I hear ya. Gonna be hard to say no other car was moving faster than I was since I was the first car at the red light of course I was moving the fastest. I think the stickler will be the distance, the fact that I have a witness, and that they were 26' from the 30MPH sign shoot radar to begin with. My Dad was LEO for 34 years and told me just about every trick in the book, but he did say it will ultimately come down to the officer's reputation. If he's known in the legal circle of this town to be on his game then my case will be difficult to prove, right or wrong.

I've googled the officer and he's pretty green. Scary what you can find out about folks on the internet. I know where he lives, how much his house cost, etc. haha. He's not a SGT or anything like that, yet he was an older heavy set guy. Graying hair and all that. Looked like he should've been farther up the food chain and shooting radar on the side of the road. The other officer with him was a very young guy who looked straight outta the academy.

I have a few other pieces of evidence I'll be presenting as well. People tell me I should have been an attorney. Maybe I missed my calling.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Think 1-4 skip shift here. That's almost what I did. I was staring at the speedo to make sure I didn't crack 30MPH because I was staring right at the two officers standing on the side of the road while I was at the light. At first I thought there had been an accident so I was literally coasting.
Understood. You have helped alot of people here with your videos and website including me so I'm not here to trash ya that's for sure. With that said and this may surprise some here, but there are cops out there who are not going to possibly damage their reputation by handing out a speeding ticket when someone really wasn't speeding. In other words, the cop doesn't know who you are. The risk these days to ones career is to great just to get a bogus speeding ticket.

Afterall, there's always the next person to give one to who is actually speeding. I realize there are some cops who do risk it all. All we have to do is watch the news and see these idiots beating a perp up to know that. But for a speeding ticket? They have to be really f**kn morons.

Again, sorry for your misfortune and thank you for all the help you provide to many of us.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I don't think in Speedy's situation the officer was "out to get him".

I do think from what Speedy has described, the office made a really bad mistake on which car his radar had picked up.

Cops are human and obviously make mistakes too.

Unfortunately, the court system generally views LEOs as trained professionals who are infallible. That outlook is very dangerous, and IMO leads to much of the distrust many have in our legal system.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Understood. You have helped alot of people here with your videos and website including me so I'm not here to trash ya that's for sure. With that said and this may surprise some here, but there are cops out there who are not going to possibly damage their reputation by handing out a speeding ticket when someone really wasn't speeding. In other words, the cop doesn't know who you are. The risk these days to ones career is to great just to get a bogus speeding ticket.

Afterall, there's always the next person to give one to who is actually speeding. I realize there are some cops who do risk it all. All we have to do is watch the news and see these idiots beating a perp up to know that. But for a speeding ticket? They have to be really f**kn morons.

Again, sorry for your misfortune and thank you for all the help you provide to many of us.
No worries. I actually want to keep it that way (them not knowing who I am LOL).

I don't think in Speedy's situation the officer was "out to get him".

I do think from what Speedy has described, the office made a really bad mistake on which car his radar had picked up.

Cops are human and obviously make mistakes too.

Unfortunately, the court system generally views LEOs as trained professionals who are infallible. That outlook is very dangerous, and IMO leads to much of the distrust many have in our legal system.
Correct. I think the guy just made a mistake. Unfortunately he wasn't willing to admit it when challenged so I'll have to take my chances in court. Hopefully the judge isn't as bias as I've seen in the past. I've lived in this town for 12 years and this will be my first time appearing before her so we'll see. I am ready to file an appeal if needed.

It's a small town, so I also hope this guy doesn't hold a grudge and look to nab me every time I turn the corner LOL.

·
Registered
448 Posts
It's a small town, so I also hope this guy doesn't hold a grudge and look to nab me every time I turn the corner LOL.
If its like the small town I grew up in, you're as good as cooked. He'll have a big target painted on you, and may just make a game out of watching out for you.

Hope it works out for you

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
If its like the small town I grew up in, you're as good as cooked. He'll have a big target painted on you, and may just make a game out of watching out for you.

Hope it works out for you
Haha yeah. I'll have to be extra careful around here for a while.....or just decide to go pedal to the medal and peace out!

21 - 40 of 108 Posts