Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
To bad they waisted money stopping you instead arresting of the ex con unlicenced illegal crack head that just shot somebody and was driving a stolen car with 5 kilos of heroin and a dozen assault rifles in his trunk that were rite behind you. At least they tagged a Challenger though. Good job men. And dont worry. Were winning the war on drugs. Remember, with dope theres hope. With booze you lose.

·
Registered
714 Posts
remember guys that the laser, the actual beam is not where the little red dot on the scope is, it is three boxes and they are offset and quite large on the car.

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
Good info on the laser. I had no idea and did picture it was something like my red-dot scope.

But you're not suggesting laser was used in Speedy's case, right? He says his detector was going berserk at the time of the incident. I don't think this would typically be the case with laser would it?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think it was, IIRC he posted a distance reading, and often / usually you'll get a alarm on the detector when you are targeted, and that alarm is usually a really bezerk one

·
Registered
126 Posts
This kinda thing is so frustrating. If I am pulled over for doing something wrong I am the first to admit and pay for what I did, all while being very polite.

If someone pulls me over out of arrogance though..... I would politely inform them my gopro digital is rolling and proceed to be ever so co-operative. I respect police but like cars apparently some officers are more photogenic than others.

I contestest a wonderfully horrible ticket given to me last year and won.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My personal policy is that I NEVER kiss a cop's ass. I NEVER call them sir or officer, EVER. I speak to them as I would speak to anyone ordinary. I have great contempt for traffic cops, as I believe they are all just trying to fill their ticket quotas (that they claim they don't have, as quotas are illegal, but we all know they have quotas, don't we), and make more money for their department so they get their choice of work shifts and more raises and promotions and things like that.

I don't give them an attitude or get loud with them, but they get no special treatment from me either. And if this costs me a ticket, I don't care, I'll take it, as I was probably going to get it anyhow. I also fight all tickets in court, I want to make the cop show up and explain himself.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
First thing to mention....this was RADAR no LASER. Laser is much more accurate and precise which the RADAR is not. It was X band according to my detector.

I always yes sir no sir the police. I figure they're just doing a job trying to make a living like the rest of us. If some crack head is kicking in my back door there the first folks I want on site.

As mentioned my Dad put in 34 years as a metro officer. I rode with him on numerous occasions and most of the time the people he came across were scum of the earth. It's no wonder they develop a cynical attitude toward the public. EVERYBODY lies to them.

This guy just made a mistake I think. Hopefully the court agrees.

·
Registered
714 Posts
This guy just made a mistake I think. Hopefully the court agrees.
Unlikely, get disclosure and a "report of evidence" or whatever they call it and cross your t's and dot the i's...

I wouldn't call radar or laser more accurate. But remember, radar has a wide beam, and X band is the widest beam of all the beams, basically if there is any car on the road near you, in either direction, the fastest / largest one is the one on the display. Especially if there was a truck somewhere, that'd be him and not you even if he was relatively far away.

Try to find evidence in the discovery that it was X band and don't tell the court you knew it because of your detector :lol:

This kinda thing is so frustrating. If I am pulled over for doing something wrong I am the first to admit and pay for what I did, all while being very polite.

If someone pulls me over out of arrogance though..... I would politely inform them my gopro digital is rolling and proceed to be ever so co-operative. I respect police but like cars apparently some officers are more photogenic than others.

I contestest a wonderfully horrible ticket given to me last year and won.
If you tell him you're recording then he's really going to go out of his way to be an ******* to you... oh I hate those types. I shouldn't really complain, the last time I was pulled over, the guy was friendly and let me off the hook also. But he was a regular cop doing the beat and not part of the "traffic unit"...

·
Premium Member
2012 Challenger SRT in BSP
440 Posts
I saw a feature on TV some time ago where the accuracy of radar was being questioned. A police radar gun (granted - an older one) was pointed at a bridge with traffic crossing it. It was pointed at a stationary but vibrating piece of concrete. It registered 47MPH! It was in a 35MPH zone, so the bridge should have gotten a ticket! :)

I'm also fine with law enforcement officers. Most of the ones I know are great folks (some, like any other group of people) are not. I was once pulled over for doing 35 in a 35. The officer thought I was acting paranoid! I guess I was. He was right behind me. Now I just drive "normal" if they're in sight, a few MPH over the limit with typical variations, to keep from being pulled for paranoia.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I was pulled over in Georga on I75 because "I have Florida tags and there is alot of drug traffic on this highway." I politely told the cop to *&^# off and get away from my car so I can get on my way. Having Florida tags is not on the list of probable cause to pull me over. He let me go. I know he wanted to shoot my ass though. LOL

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Georgia is terrible. My Dad got stopped in his unmarked patrol car going through GA some years ago LOL. They ticketed him too!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Lets be honest. Lots of Cops are good guys, they do their best job to protect citizens and such. I have nothing but the utmost respect for them. A larger number are huge gigantic dbags. They were the high school bully or athletic star who had no other way to pick on people and make them miserable the rest of their lives, so they chose an occupation where that's what their entire day would be, making other people more miserable than they are.

This is all based on experiences in Southern California, home of the Chicken S*** Tickets.

Okay, done channeling Adam Carolla for the day. All that said I've been nothing but polite when I've been pulled over. That has lead to one of the nice guy cops, who had to give me a ticket because I was speeding excess of 115 up the 5 freeway, marking the speed I was going at a much lower speed so that I would be able to do traffic school and he didn't have to arrest me.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Georgia is terrible. My Dad got stopped in his unmarked patrol car going through GA some years ago LOL. They ticketed him too!
WHAT?? :eek:

Holy crap, I guess I won't be going through that state anytime soon..:notallthere:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
WHAT?? :eek:

Holy crap, I guess I won't be going through that state anytime soon..:notallthere:
Haha, yep. He was transporting a prisoner back from GA to TN. It created a big stink between the two departments.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You did everything right, (admitted to nothing, polite, etc)

X-band over-scatter is common,
You can make a case that precise vehicle targeting was vague at best,

Ask for the device calibration record, ask to see (before court date) a photo-copy of the back of his copy of the ticket, (he annotates additional comments he feels is germane, you have a right to see that as it's evidentiary).

And yes, you will not beat this ticket, even with a dozen witnesses, because as we all know, your all lying and in collusion to get out of a ticket, where as the sworn officer's integrity is beyond reproach, it's a rigged system.
Good luck.
:smoker:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
You did everything right, (admitted to nothing, polite, etc)

X-band over-scatter is common,
You can make a case that precise vehicle targeting was vague at best,

Ask for the device calibration record, ask to see (before court date) a photo-copy of the back of his copy of the ticket, (he annotates additional comments he feels is germane, you have a right to see that as it's evidentiary).

And yes, you will not beat this ticket, even with a dozen witnesses, because as we all know, your all lying and in collusion to get out of a ticket, where as the sworn officer's integrity is beyond reproach, it's a rigged system.
Good luck.
:smoker:
LOL, Here's an interesting tid bit. On my citation it says my court date is April X, 2011 at 3pm blah blah. However in small print toward the bottom of the ticket it says "If you wish to CONTEST this citation you MUST call XXX-XXX-XXXX for a special court date within ten (10) days of receiving the citation." The caps and underline are on the citation haha.

So tomorrow it'll be about 6 days so I'll give a ring in the next couple days and let them know I'm contesting. We'll see what they say but I thought that was weird to have on the citation. Small town go figure.

I've already begun making notes, gathering what I need, etc. I'll be collecting several things from the department. After all is said and done I'll post it up along with how I made out. I don't wanna show my hand online just in case. Call me paranoid.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It's been about 8 days since I got the ticket so I called the number it said I have to call within 10 days.

I asked what my options were:

1. Pay the ticket - $125
2. Go to traffic school - 2 hours - $160
3. Contest the ticket - not guilty = $0 guilty = $242.50

So I told her I wanted to contest. She then informs me I have to show IN PERSON within 10 days of the citation date to file written statement, receive a new court date, and they'll inform the officer of the date so he can show.

I'll go down tomorrow and file the statement.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My personal policy is that I NEVER kiss a cop's ass. I NEVER call them sir or officer, EVER. I speak to them as I would speak to anyone ordinary. I have great contempt for traffic cops, as I believe they are all just trying to fill their ticket quotas (that they claim they don't have, as quotas are illegal, but we all know they have quotas, don't we), and make more money for their department so they get their choice of work shifts and more raises and promotions and things like that.

I don't give them an attitude or get loud with them, but they get no special treatment from me either. And if this costs me a ticket, I don't care, I'll take it, as I was probably going to get it anyhow. I also fight all tickets in court, I want to make the cop show up and explain himself.
Cops don't have quotas, they can give out as many tickets as they want. As far as court, they dont mind that either, it's overtime. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
there may not be any OFFICIAL quotas but a traffic cops job is to find offenders. What would happen to a cop who NEVER EVER saw a traffic offense so he never wrote a ticket??? he wouldnt be a cop very long. at least not a traffic cop.

the quota is built into the job. the more tickets a cop writes the better he appears to the commander. more tickets = a cop who's doing his job better so there is an incentive to write tickets. it leads to job promotion.so they can get out of the stinking ticket writing business

nice catch 22, huh?

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Our stat law was recently changed to include language preventing so called "quotas".

However, I have friends that are policemen and yes they do have to write a certain number of tickets, whether called a quota or not.

41 - 60 of 108 Posts