Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This sucks, haha! I just got my Challenger in the beginning of June and just made my first payment on July 23rd. Although it's used, it's still my dream car, but it's been giving me a lot of problems within the last week. It's been super fun up until it started overheating - it suddenly had no coolant, but I couldn't find a leak. Then, I took it in for an oil change the day after to get that done (couldn't find my ramps otherwise I would've done it myself) and to add coolant, though everything was cool, it drove just fine, etc. So two days ago, I was coming back from an amusement park on the highway, it started overheating AGAIN. Pulled over, the coolant was full, nothing was leaking....checked the oil, there was NO oil in it. Like at all. Dipstick was pretty much dry. Had my mother in law run to get some oil, we added it in, it accepted a full 6 quarts, no leaking...STILL overheating. Had to drive it 30 mph all the way home to prevent it from overheating. It's been sitting there since, and now it won't start. The dome lights don't even come on. I'm so sad, haha!
It's a 2011 Challenger SE. Yeah, not a cool SRT or anything, but I still love it. And it's that pretty Toxic Orange color. So this is making me pretty sad...especially since I have an interview for auto detailing in a few days. Ah!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Bummer! I'd have it transported to a good MOPAR shop for an expert look at things. They can pull some codes and go over it to hopefully eliminate guessing. That's really strange you're loosing fluids with no visual signs. Air in the cooling system can reek havoc but no oil is a head scratcher. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Welcome from Florida!
Take a quick glance and make sure your accessory belt is on and tight!
Sorry for your trouble. Many here to help as possible.

Tom.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome from Southern Maryland....... Get your car to a reputable mechanic (via a tow truck). Don't drive your car until its checked out and you know what's wrong with it. Good Luck. :smile:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just hoping the people who changed the oil didn't mess up my engine by forgetting to add oil during the oil change. I would have no way to prove they did it....but it only didn't have any oil in it after I took it there for an oil change. :/ I know they reset all the lights because I had the check engine light on because of the o2 sensor needing to be replaced, but I haven't done that yet, but the light is off. When I called up there to ask them why they didn't put any oil in, they hung up on me.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Have you looked under the car? Jack it up and take a look around. That much oil doesn't just disappear, as you well know. You either see evidence of where it leaked out, or there was none in it in the first place. How far did you drive since your last oil change? You said you were driving it, it overheated, you checked the oil, and it took 6 quarts of oil.
Often times, when there's a cylinder head gasket leak, you'll find water in the oil, not oil in the water. Water disappears into the exhaust, and/or into the oil. Oil can disappear out the exhaust as well, but not all 6 quarts. You'd produce a smoke screen like the one in the movie starring Cheech and Chong. You would see it and smell it. But oil doesn't disappear this way. Not that much and not that fast. That amount would have to leak out. And if that be the case, it will be all over the underside of your car. If you don't see this, your oil change boys blew it. You may have some serious engine damage, and they are legally responsible. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news. This doesn't sound good.

After you added oil, still overheating. But you did say it wouldn't start. I'm wondering if your belt is intact: no belt means no water pump and no alternator to charge the battery. But this is still a huge question mark in my mind. On overheat and subsequent boil over could cause you to THINK there was no coolant, but it would most likely be low coolant, not NO coolant as you said. Something like a stuck thermostat can cause this, but the two problems don't sound related. A fried belt could cause both the overheating and dead battery, but doesn't explain the oil issue. At one point you had no coolant, and another time you had no oil. I could only guess at the issue(s) causing this, but it sounds like two separate things.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm just hoping the people who changed the oil didn't mess up my engine by forgetting to add oil during the oil change. I would have no way to prove they did it....but it only didn't have any oil in it after I took it there for an oil change. :/ I know they reset all the lights because I had the check engine light on because of the o2 sensor needing to be replaced, but I haven't done that yet, but the light is off. When I called up there to ask them why they didn't put any oil in, they hung up on me.
No way to prove it? Why do you say this?
Again, look under the car. That much oil would be everywhere if it leaked out. If it burned out, it would produce an unbelievable smoke screen, and it would still be doing it after you put oil in it. Does that make sense? The ONLY other possibility is their negligence. How many miles since that oil change? Take it to a dodge dealer. . Have them document this. You may have a lawsuit on your hands.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you looked under the car? Jack it up and take a look around. That much oil doesn't just disappear, as you well know. You either see evidence of where it leaked out, or there was none in it in the first place. How far did you drive since your last oil change? You said you were driving it, it overheated, you checked the oil, and it took 6 quarts of oil.
Often times, when there's a cylinder head gasket leak, you'll find water in the oil, not oil in the water. Water disappears into the exhaust, and/or into the oil. Oil can disappear out the exhaust as well, but not all 6 quarts. You'd produce a smoke screen like the one in the movie starring Cheech and Chong. You would see it and smell it. But oil doesn't disappear this way. Not that much and not that fast. That amount would have to leak out. And if that be the case, it will be all over the underside of your car. If you don't see this, your oil change boys blew it. You may have some serious engine damage, and they are legally responsible. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news. This doesn't sound good.

After you added oil, still overheating. This is a huge question mark in my mind. Something like a stuck thermostat can cause this, but the two problems don't sound related. At one point you had no coolant, and another time you had no oil. I could only guess at the issue(s) causing this.

I have looked under the car, definitely no leaks. There was oil in it before I took it to get an oil change, I have pictures of the dipstick to prove so just in case they get defensive and say they put it in there. I still have all the oil I put in it myself, none of that has leaked out. :/ what could they be legally responsible for? Reimbursement for the price of the oil change? Or covering the cost of potentially serious engine damage due to them not putting oil in my car? It isn't a chain place like Jiffy Lube or anything similar. It's a small local place where my parents have been taking their cars for years.

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
6 quarts is the entire oil capacity for the 3.6 V6.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
6 quarts is the entire oil capacity for the 3.6 V6.
The dipstick was bone dry. It's like they totally drained my oil and didn't put any in. I was charged for 6 quarts, though. I still have the receipt. But no big smoke coming up or anything like it was burning, still all the oil I put in it. I'm really, really confused.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If there was no oil in the car, wouldn't it be screaming about the lack of oil pressure?
I would think so, but something happened to all my little dash warning lights after I took it for an oil change. I didn't get my o2 sensor fixed but they turned the check engine light off for it. I dunno what's happening with it. Do you think it could possibly be a faulty thermostat?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Again, get it to a reputable mechanic, I'd recommend Dodge. All the warning lights out after the oil change? Better get that checked. Also, I would not run the engine again at this point. You said it wouldn't start. Why? What's it doing or not doing? Dead battery, cranking slow, not cranking at all... what's happening when you turn the key? When did it stop running? After you stopped it to put in oil? Did it start after you put in the oil? If not, I'd wonder about frozen bearings, scored cylinder walls, seized up internals from running without oil. Check the battery? Check the serpentine belt? Got a voyage meter you can put on the battery? We need some info.

Thermostat: very likely issue for causing overheating, subsequent boil over, and apparently low on coolant. But that doesn't explain the oil. I think that's what happened. Thermostat went out, caused overheat and boil over. You thought it was "empty." But it was just low. No leaks. Then you had oil done. They blew it. No oil leaks. No smoke pouring out. I'd get this looked at by a licensed, reputable mechanic. I think your oil change boys blew it. Won't start: that one's got me puzzled. Need more info. But the biggest question is how much damage was done by running that engine with no oil in it. That sir, is HUGE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The thing that stands out to me as strange is that you made it anywhere after the oil change. I think if they put no oil in it, you wouldn't make it far.

Is the car an automatic? Is there a chance you checked the transmission fluid dipstick, saw nothing on the dipstick and added 6 quarts of oil to the engine or transmission? It's the only thing I can think of that would cover all bases.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Is the car an automatic? Is there a chance you checked the transmission fluid dipstick, saw nothing on the dipstick and added 6 quarts of oil to the engine or transmission? It's the only thing I can think of that would cover all bases.
The man owns a 2009 6 cylinder if I read his profile right. According to this link CLICKY HERE, there was no dipstick for the automatic. Same (of course) for the manual. Good idea, but not applicable for his car.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
15,388 Posts
The thing that stands out to me as strange is that you made it anywhere after the oil change. I think if they put no oil in it, you wouldn't make it far.

All SXT (6cyl) are automatic only and there's a cap on the trans filler tube, but no dipstick.

I'd suspect there's significant engine issues if the oil level ran that low. Once an engine is running there's 1 - 1.5 qts of oil circulating / draining in other areas other than the sump.
If would have been cavitating - bearings, rings, and valve train would have significant wear / scuffing up to the point the engine seizes.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
My lady friend had this happen to her a year or two ago (before I knew her). She took it in for an oil change and a week later, no oil or antifreeze! It ruined the engine and she got rid of it. Some garages are not worth the bricks they're built with.

I wish you luck and hope your new car survives without any damage. The oil light should have come on once the oil dropped to a dangerous low level.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts