Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(album further down after the large inserted pics (sorry))

After much BS and drama with the dealer I finally got my car back with Katzkin leather installed! And......I'm sorta mixed.

The quality is good and I have not problems with the installation either (well other than the fact my car had 50 miles put on it!). But I tend to have too good of an eye for detail and the first thing that jumped out at me, or more so did not, is the blue stitching. I specifically ordered Cobalt blue thinking it would match the vibrancy of the cobalt blue leather sample. Something like these blue seats below:

But to me the stitching I got looks much lighter, almost a grey-blue though. It's not "bad" but not exactly what I was expecting and I don't "think" it's what I ordered. Here's a pic of mine (album further down):

Though maybe that IS cobalt blue? And it's just very different from the leather color? And it was me that choose the wrong thing? I was expecting stitching more like this from this Daytona Charger.

Here's an album I made with some before and after pics of my interior:

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZzMFj

The last 3 pics I tried to really show the stitching compared to the perforated leather inner color (which only came in one color) and compared to the paint itself (which I was trying to match).

I'm not sure if I'm just being picky or not. And I'm not sure how much of a fuss I should make about this to the dealer. I did already call the guy from the parts dept about it and he said he would double check the order tomorrow to make sure it was ordered right. He would also find out where the place is that these were installed (how he doesn't know I don't get) to figure out the 50miles put on it. He said he thinks its on the south side, and dealer and I are on the north side, so that would make sense, but I'm going to ask for an address. Also noticed the dual-zone climate control, which I have Sync'd was turned off that and each side set to different temps than I use....which to me gave the impression that someone went joy riding in it but maybe I'm jumping to conclusions.

For those that want to know, I worked the Katzkin into my lease for $1500 which includes the seats and installation. (They initially offered $1800) I had just found out about Katzkin the day before I went to the dealer, I had an idea of what I wanted but not the exact details then. So I made the mistake of saying I'd figure out what I want later but "nothing fancy" I said. At first they wouldn't do the blue barracuda inserts (the perforated bits with the blue showing thru) and that it would be $500 more. I politely said that seemed to much and that I'd look around at other authorized installers in the area and they could write me a check. I did get one quote else where and it was $1500 altogether with barracuda for what I wanted. But I didn't get around to telling the dealer that cause next time I talked to them the parts guy said "Don't worry about it, I ordered what you want and just charged it to the sales dept, you won't owe anything extra" and he then grabbed the sample book and pointed to what I had asked for without me helping. Though now that I think about it I did have to say "and the cobalt stitching right?" and he said "Oh yes, yup cobalt stitching" so I guess we'll see. Based on how it's been.....he'll probably forget to call me back tomorrow. :|

Edit - Also is it normal for the car to smell more like glue inside than leather after this process? Cause mine does. I also asked them if I could get the cloth skins back and there answer was no, they have to cut them to install these....which I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that is not true. Ultimately I don't need them, but just thought that was odd, sorta makes me wonder about installation quality if they couldn't get them off without cutting them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Seats look great, katzkin does a nice job.
Why did you go to the trouble and expense on a leased car?
Thanks! I really didn't like the cloth or more so I don't in general (Nothing personal to the houndstooth). And this one pretty much had everything I wanted except leather, which would make it "perfect" in my eyes. And it was cheaper sticker than a stock RT Plus (and a better MF than RT Plus as well).

I should also mention I got a pretty good deal on the car too. Before stepping foot in the dealer I knew the numbers for my FCA affiliate pricing, current month lease incentives (pretty good), and current month's MF and Residual (MF was crazy low on base RT). And calculated them many times using lease calcultors that also included things like tax. Throwing in an extra $1k off on top of all that I came to a monthly payment as my target. After negotiating with the dealer for 3hrs I finally got to that number I wanted....and it included leather interior which I had not calculated for (since I just learned about it at the last minute before I went in). So from my perspective, I more or less got it for free :)

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Looks real nice Dizzy! Be happy, I would if I were you. I AM happy for you! Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Looks good. Honestly, I think it would look bad if the stitching was any brighter than that. Look on their site, is there more than one shade of blue stitching available? Either way, I think the one you got looks good. I've had leatehr added to two different vehicles (non Challengers) and was told the cloth covers are ruined when they remove them.

Regarding the climate controls, they may have had the car running when they did the install for their comfort...

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Edit - Also is it normal for the car to smell more like glue inside than leather after this process? Cause mine does. I also asked them if I could get the cloth skins back and there answer was no, they have to cut them to install these....which I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that is not true. Ultimately I don't need them, but just thought that was odd, sorta makes me wonder about installation quality if they couldn't get them off without cutting them.
The glue you smell is from the leather inserts for the door panels. The inserts can be installed without glue, but that entails taking the door apart to properly wrap the insert in place. What normally happens is they trim and glue the inserts. A licensed Katzkin installer advised me of this when I had mine installed; I elected to skip the door inserts entirely; I feared rattles and squeaks if the door was taken apart, and didn't want to risk a sloppy glue install.

The dealer may have cut your original covers during the install, but if they did, it was because they didn't know how, or cared to take the time, to remove them properly. When I had my covers installed, I was given all of my original seat covers back, intact, and was able to sell them (to a member on here). Since it's a lease, and the dealer (supposedly) destroyed the original covers, you should make sure you get the benefit of increased value when you turn your car in at the end of your lease.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. Honestly, I think it would look bad if the stitching was any brighter than that. Look on their site, is there more than one shade of blue stitching available? Either way, I think the one you got looks good. I've had leather added to two different vehicles (non Challengers) and was told the cloth covers are ruined when they remove them.

Regarding the climate controls, they may have had the car running when they did the install for their comfort...
Not brighter, but a more vibrant blue is what I was looking for. The stitching I got, I feel the color looks more B5 Blue (that lighter kind of eletric blue) than my Indigo Blue (a deep, more blue blue). Yeah the official Katzkin site lists a TON of colors for stitching, but it is just a drop down list and does not give you a chart or anything with what they look like. There were many blues on there. The dealer had a sample book, with squares of leather samples with the many colors, most of which matched color names of stitching colors on the website. So that is where I "assumed" if they were the same name the stitching color would match the leather color samples I saw in that book.

Maybe, but I assume it's done in a shop, seems weird they'd have the car running indoors and wasting customers gas. But I've never worked in a shop, so what do I know! The car did still have 3/4th of a tank though, I don't recall what it was when I dropped it off, but I know it wasn't exactly full, so that did not seem like much gas was used. I really regret not taking a pic of the dash when I dropped it off. Another thing I thought was kinda weird was their invoice for all of this, it states 497 miles when it was "dropped off". I "think" it was 482-485 when I dropped it off, but I didn't take a picture....I could be wrong on that, maybe 482 was what it was when I started it before I went to the dealer (15-ish mile drive). But the weird, odd, maybe even annoying part is it says I dropped it off at 5:30pm on Monday (Jan 29th).......I dropped it off at 7am on Monday (Jan 29th)! Well technically more like 7:30am by the time I found someone to help me, that's when they took my keys at least! So someone "could" have taken it for some fun all day long, I don't really know, or it could have just sat there all day too. Also annoys me cause they told me it would be done the same day when I setup the appointment, I double checked with them more than once, stating it was ok if it took more than a day, I just wanted to konw so I could get a loaner instead of wasting their shuttle driver's time. They told me "yeah it'll be ready the day you drop it off" and yet when I called them at 4pm on Mon if it was done they said "no it'll be one more day" and the shuttle came and got me and I got back to the dealer at 5pm Monday so they could give me a loaner for Tues. So according to their sheet, my car wasn't even "checked in" when I went BACK to the dealer that same day! UGH!

Sorry for the super long reply, I guess I need more to do at work, ha ha!

The glue you smell is from the leather inserts for the door panels. The inserts can be installed without glue, but that entails taking the door apart to properly wrap the insert in place. What normally happens is they trim and glue the inserts. A licensed Katzkin installer advised me of this when I had mine installed; I elected to skip the door inserts entirely; I feared rattles and squeaks if the door was taken apart, and didn't want to risk a sloppy glue install.

The dealer may have cut your original covers during the install, but if they did, it was because they didn't know how, or cared to take the time, to remove them properly. When I had my covers installed, I was given all of my original seat covers back, intact, and was able to sell them (to a member on here). Since it's a lease, and the dealer (supposedly) destroyed the original covers, you should make sure you get the benefit of increased value when you turn your car in at the end of your lease.
Ahh! It's mostly gone away by this morning. I was wondering how they were going to do the door inserts, as someone mentioned Katzkin didn't recommend it on...2015+ models I believe as it made it harder to put them back together without problems. (It was probably you who told me, ha ha). The door inserts are....eh. I believe in my post asking questions about them someone said they are vinyl and not leather. I guess mine are vinyl, they honestly look like and almost feel just like the door plastic right above the inserts. Like it has the same kinda texture to it and they don't really feel like the leather of the seats.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

I didn't get the door things either. BUT my car DID reek of........leather? Smelled like leather, but /REAL strong. Lasted months. That was in April so it was getting warm. Lasted well into summer. Have fun!

I never considered asking for old material.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
I hope you can eventually learn to love the seat covers. They are definitely unique. Like the leather version of hounds tooth in my eyes. I like them for sure. :wink3:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Not brighter, but a more vibrant blue is what I was looking for. The stitching I got, I feel the color looks more B5 Blue (that lighter kind of eletric blue) than my Indigo Blue (a deep, more blue blue). Yeah the official Katzkin site lists a TON of colors for stitching, but it is just a drop down list and does not give you a chart or anything with what they look like. There were many blues on there. The dealer had a sample book, with squares of leather samples with the many colors, most of which matched color names of stitching colors on the website. So that is where I "assumed" if they were the same name the stitching color would match the leather color samples I saw in that book.
Isn't that the same thing? At least that's what I was referring to... I think you're reading too much into this whole process and the matching colors. Especially for a leased vehicle. If this was going to be your lifelong pride and joy that I could at least understand being so picky. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just thinking it's not worth getting worked up over. Enjoy the car, it looks great!

·
Registered
42 Posts
The seats look great and based on your pic, the stitching strikes me as cobalt blue. I would inspect it in many different situations, day, night, clouds, sun, etc but I think you done good.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
The seats look great and based on your pic, the stitching strikes me as cobalt blue. I would inspect it in many different situations, day, night, clouds, sun, etc but I think you done good.

Absolutely!! I thought Cobalt too. Yes it will change all the time. Good job!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Appreciate all of your guys honest feedback! And I do mean that (hard to pick up tone in text sometimes).

Sometimes I can be overly picky, protective, and/or anal about these things and get carried away and sounds like I'm doing that here. While it's not the color I "thought" it would be, it may be the color I ordered. And as I said, it does NOT look bad to me and I have zero problems with the quality/installation of it. Just not quite what I was expecting when I opened the door.

I will get with the parts guy again (he was already looking into it) and if that's the color he ordered on the invoice I'll leave it be and live with it. If it's not....I'll see what my options are if they aren't too much trouble. And I will also be asking for the address of the place where they were installed to see if the mileage was justified or not.

You have valid points that it is a lease so I don't need to get too carried away. I do love the car....BUT I honestly don't see any way I'd purchase it at the end of the lease right now. It's the best I could afford right now (which is pretty damn good imho and I am very happy with what I got and the deal I got) and it got me out of my boring ass econobox I'd been stuck in for 4yrs! Heck before that I had a massive POS "sports" car for 4yrs that was such a PITA that I didn't even enjoy driving/owning it. (LONG story but it was a 99 BMW M3 convertible, not a knock against BMW, still love them, but THAT particular car was such a POS and cost me so much money, I really didn't know what I was doing when I got it.) So I haven't been in a "fun" car for 8yrs! By the time this lease is over though I hope to be making enough to get a Scat Pack or at the least a fully loaded RT, as I do love tech features and usually insist on them. But I passed on those this time, as I could have went fully loaded SXT Plus and had all the bells & whistles but went base RT for the larger "grin" factor I guess you'd say as I'd been missing that the most the last 8yrs! Or who know's maybe in 3yrs I'll just want a smaller car by then, ha ha!

Wow that went on longer than I thought, I need more to do at work, ha ha!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What is the approximate price for Katzkin leather to be installed?
I'm not sure what "just" the installation cost is, but I got mine for $1500 for the materials and installation. I did get a quote from another authorized installer and they said $1500 for it all with installation if I used the Barracuda material (colored perforated parts) otherwise it would be $1300 altogether for seats and installation. I've also seen online places were you can order the Katzkin yourself and they seemed to come to around $850 before installation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts