Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the cop just wanted to look at my car or something. I was not speeding, I was going down I-75 and I had my cruise set at 74. I wasn't even worried about cops as I wasn't speeding. Well 4 over, but hey. I see a flash of heads lights from the medium. Agian I am not worried I am not speeding. I just keep right on going. A few miles down the road I see a car is coming up on me and there is a cop with someone else pulled over a mile or so ahead. A truck moves over from the right lane as you are supposed to do when a cop has someone pulled over. I am waiting for this car coming up on me, cause he is coming fairly fast and he should pass me before I get to the truck. As he gets closer he slows down and backs off. This kind of pisses me off because I have had to now slow down because of the truck, who is doing about 65. When I see I have room I put on my blinker move over to the left hit resume on my cruise and go on past the truck. Still I am only doing 74. When I get past the truck I move over to the middle lane when I am pass the cop on the shoulder I move over to the right lane. It's about 1:00 in the morning, very little traffic. Then this car who had come up and then slowed down pulls in behind and turns on his lights, it was the cop I had passed a ways back in the medium.

It was strange because I thought they always came up to the car but he asked me to get out of the car and come back to him. So I get out go back and he ask how fast my car will go. I say I don't know as it really is new and I haven't had it up that fast. He then says he clocked me a 84, and I said no sir I wasn't going that fast and I told him I had the cruise locked at 74. He asked where I was going and where I bought the car and then asked if I had had it calibrated. I told him I had not as it was a new car and I could pretty much tell it was right. He then says he is not going to write me ticket and apologized if I wasn't really going that fast. The whole thing was weird, never asked for ID, proof of insurance or anything. Maybe he was just bored and wanted something to do, hoped I was drunk or something.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty sure, like I said he pulled me over in sight of another cop with someone pulled over. He did have all the lights going and it was hard to see him as he stayed back so I had to look into the lights. He had a gun, baton, badge the whole works, so if he was looking to roll me he could have and not much I could have done.

·
Registered
630 Posts
At 1:00 a.m., he was probably looking for drunks, but it seems like a stupid way to handle it.

I got pulled over in Texas a number of years ago. The cop gave me all kinds of crap and threatened to throw me in jail. The judge was gone, so I would spend the weekend in the klink. When he eventually figured out that he wasn't going to piss me off and that I hadn't been drinking, he became polite and let me go.

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
I make it a point late at night to go by the letter of the law, as even at 74 they have cause to pull you over and I believe that they look for any reason to check anyone they can after midnight for DUI or other infractions. I try not to be on the road in the wee hours as there are just too many idiots out there. I know, cause in my youth, many times I was one of them. I look back at how stupid I was way back when and shudder at what horrific things I could have done.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I make it a point late at night to go by the letter of the law, as even at 74 they have cause to pull you over and I believe that they look for any reason to check anyone they can after midnight for DUI or other infractions. I try not to be on the road in the wee hours as there are just too many idiots out there. I know, cause in my youth, many times I was one of them. I look back at how stupid I was way back when and shudder at what horrific things I could have done.
I agree 100%, when I was young and stupid, I was really young and stupid, glad I never hurt anyone back in the day.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
They pull me over about once a month?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I told him I had the cruise locked at 74.
You are very lucky. That right there is a confession to a crime. He must have been in a good mood, already filled his quota, or too bored to fill out a ticket because you handed it to him on a silver platter.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
were you between Cordele and Tifton? If so PM me

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
My son got pulled over around 12:30 AM in his Firebird. He was with his girlfriend coming home from the movies. The cop asked him where he had been and then asked his girlfriend her age (she is 20). It seems the cop was looking for a DUI.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't know how they do things in GA, but this officer excercised some poor officer safety if he had you walk to his car while he sits there. What if you were a gang member with felony warrants. I wouldn't know and you would have the advantage seeing as how I would be stuck in my car as you gunned me down. As for the speed, not saying that you are lying, but I get the "I had my cruise control set" excuse once in a while and I disregard it. It's a common excuse people use to try to convince me that they weren't speeding. If I pull you over for speed I have been pacing your car already for at least half a mile. You may want to get your calibration checked just in case. I noticed with my Chally that it doesn't feel like you are going that fast compared to other cars I drive. You may get a ticket anyway seeing as how people lie about it and then you will have to get it calibrated and show it to the judge to get the ticket dismissed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know how they do things in GA, but this officer excercised some poor officer safety if he had you walk to his car while he sits there. What if you were a gang member with felony warrants. I wouldn't know and you would have the advantage seeing as how I would be stuck in my car as you gunned me down. As for the speed, not saying that you are lying, but I get the "I had my cruise control set" excuse once in a while and I disregard it. It's a common excuse people use to try to convince me that they weren't speeding. If I pull you over for speed I have been pacing your car already for at least half a mile. You may want to get your calibration checked just in case. I noticed with my Chally that it doesn't feel like you are going that fast compared to other cars I drive. You may get a ticket anyway seeing as how people lie about it and then you will have to get it calibrated and show it to the judge to get the ticket dismissed.
Well he did pace me as I said I saw the car come up and if he really clocked me at 84 I think he would have given me a ticket. So I don't think he did. I think he was just fishing for a DUI. I am not angry about it I just thought it was weird. Especially since he didn't even ask for ID or proof of insurance. I would have thought he would have at least asked for those. Also I agree with you, I have never had had officer ask me to come to them. Also he wasn't sitting there he got out of his car as well. He met me just in front of his car, making sure all his lights were my eyes, so it was easier for him to see but hard for me to see him. Also it wasn't GA I was in FL actually. I was on my way back from Ocala FL. As far calibrating, I can just get my portable Garmin GPS and check my speed. I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts it's correct. I tried looking at the GPS in my car, but I couldn't find anywhere where it shows speed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well he did pace me as I said I saw the car come up and if he really clocked me at 84 I think he would have given me a ticket. So I don't think he did. I think he was just fishing for a DUI. I am not angry about it I just thought it was weird. Especially since he didn't even ask for ID or proof of insurance. I would have thought he would have at least asked for those. Also I agree with you, I have never had had officer ask me to come to them. Also he wasn't sitting there he got out of his car as well. He met me just in front of his car, making sure all his lights were my eyes, so it was easier for him to see but hard for me to see him. Also it wasn't GA I was in FL actually. I was on my way back from Ocala FL. As far calibrating, I can just get my portable Garmin GPS and check my speed. I would be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts it's correct. I tried looking at the GPS in my car, but I couldn't find anywhere where it shows speed.
Agreed. However, if he lied about your speed just to check out the car, that's not a legit stop.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
When I drove on the I-90 thru Ohio last April in the wee hours of a weekday morning (4 AM) there were cops everywhere. Almost every turn around had an Ohio State Highway Patrol car. Not sure if there was a specific incident that prompted all these police to be on duty, or if this is normal but I left my cruise control 1-2 mph over the limit rather than my normal 8-9 mph over the limit. My theory is that bored cops like to write tickets. However, I have also read that if you drive exactly the limit, it's 'suspicious' to the police - LOL. That's why I set it for 67 mph.

And no, I hadn't been drinking at all, and was in a brand new 2011 rental car with less than 5000 miles on it. But getting stopped is just a hassle and an aggravation, even if you don't get a ticket.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I think the Mustang and Camero crowd told the cops that we Mopar folk are the law breakers and wild ones.:thumbsup:
I think the Cops and the Mustang- Camaro crowd are one and the same! Haha!

I look back at how stupid I was way back when and shudder at what horrific things I could have done.
Yep. I pray my boys don't try the chit I did.

·
Registered
714 Posts
When I drove on the I-90 thru Ohio last April in the wee hours of a weekday morning (4 AM) there were cops everywhere. Almost every turn around had an Ohio State Highway Patrol car. Not sure if there was a specific incident that prompted all these police to be on duty, or if this is normal but I left my cruise control 1-2 mph over the limit rather than my normal 8-9 mph over the limit. My theory is that bored cops like to write tickets. However, I have also read that if you drive exactly the limit, it's 'suspicious' to the police - LOL. That's why I set it for 67 mph.

And no, I hadn't been drinking at all, and was in a brand new 2011 rental car with less than 5000 miles on it. But getting stopped is just a hassle and an aggravation, even if you don't get a ticket.
Ohio is nuts, ALWAYS nuts

I mean look at all the radar detector companies... where are their HQ's? OHIO, 'nuff said :browsmiley:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts