Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was making a left turn from the middle lane off ramp and a black pickup kept crossing the line making it closer and closer to me i kept moving to the right and ended up hitting my brakes he was still pushing me to the side and ended up destroying the front and rear passanger side heritage rims on my car. The alignment is off now and I just had a 4 wheel alignment and cradle aligned about 3 weeks ago. The part that sucks is it is considered a collision because i hit the curb even though it was not my fault. The truck ended up cutting me off missing my front bumper by a 1/4 inch. He took off and I am stuck having to get the estimate. I am going to have dodge do the repairs since they know the car and can tell if it damaged anything else.

The car now pulls to the left and the right and I have a bad wheel vibration. :( I can also feel all tires feathering now and the car is my daily driver. I have to take it in monday for an estimate at my insurance companys shop then wednesday take it to dodge once I get the okay. My insurance company said I should have let the truck hit me.

Plus my dad spilled soda all over his shirt and he was going to meet my G/f of 1 year for the first time.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Same thing happened to me last Summer. This guy was on the side trying to race me in 1 of those little noisy ricers I wasn't even trying to race him and was beating him. He came up on the side of me and kept looking at me all the sudden he started getting so close our mirrors looked like they were going to hit so I moved over to prevent are cars from hitting and scraped my passenger side rims up against the curve. I drove up behind him at a redlight and he was looking in his rear view mirror smiling at me so I got out of the car and started walking up to his car he took off through the redlight. I was gonna slap the taste out of his mouth.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
That totally sucks.

I am sure Dodge will get her completely fixed. Be upfront and make it clear to the dealer right off the start that you are very demanding and particular about your car, so that they know to place special attention to your case.

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
601 Posts
Man that sucks! There is an area in my way home from work that I go through this EVERY DAY. I'm well aware of it by now so I either gun it at the light to make the turn or let the guy to my right go in front of me if I can't get the far right lane. For the life of me I can't figure out why people can't stay in their lane in this area. It's EVERY TIME!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Brakes! All Challengers came equipped with them. Yeah, it sucks braking for total idiots but the alternative sucks more. Remember the plate number........................you'll probably meet up again later. Just sayin'. :fight:

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I have a bad reflex when I notice people squeezing me out of my lane and it's to speed up to get away from them. Braking hard is much faster, but I can't get that ingrained in my pea brain. Been almost run off the road many times, and once successfully while riding: I managed to dodge the first car, but the second one caught my tailpipe and sent me flying - both were making an illegal turn one behind the other (I call this a road trap, now: that one's the 'one-two punch'). Now, and after years of riding motorcycles, I'm a paranoid a-hole and always look at others next to me with suspicion and expect the worst from them. I'm rarely disappointed...

Sorry about your experience and the damage to your car, FAST RS! Let's hope there was no structural damage, but it's still gonna cost ya. Take it as a teaching fee: you owe that truck several valuable lessons. Keep your distance; if you can't, expect that others will screw up and always have a way out; be ready to make contact if you have to instead of crashing your car. The main lesson, though, is that people suck and that behind the wheel they tend to get even worse. :bang:

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I have a bad reflex when I notice people squeezing me out of my lane and it's to speed up to get away from them. Braking hard is much faster, but I can't get that ingrained in my pea brain. Been almost run off the road many times, and once successfully while riding: I managed to dodge the first car, but the second one caught my tailpipe and sent me flying - both were making an illegal turn one behind the other (I call this a road trap, now: that one's the 'one-two punch'). Now, and after years of riding motorcycles, I'm a paranoid a-hole and always look at others next to me with suspicion and expect the worst from them. I'm rarely disappointed...
Must be why it reads "D O D G E" right on the car... :D

Reactions: PSM450 and USRWDV8

·
Registered
601 Posts

Sorry about your experience and the damage to your car, FAST RS! Let's hope there was no structural damage, but it's still gonna cost ya. Take it as a teaching fee: you owe that truck several valuable lessons. Keep your distance; if you can't, expect that others will screw up and always have a way out; be ready to make contact if you have to instead of crashing your car. The main lesson, though, is that people suck and that behind the wheel they tend to get even worse. :bang:

Man this post is pretty spot on. I'm the same way and it's probably from riding bikes too. I'm always looking at others cars guessing what they are trying to do expecting the worse. My girlfriend is always yapping in the car "what are you doing?" And it's always because I'm watching what others are doing. It's funny when she says something like that after I make a quick lane change or something and then she sees the other moron do something stupid that probably would have gotten us in an accident

·
Registered
53 Posts
While most of theses instances of people not staying in their lanes are probably due to the drivers' incompetence/obliviousness, I am convinced that 5~15% of these occurrences (to us Challenger drivers specifically) are because the offending driver has taken on an attitude problem once they see an intimidating/attractive car like the Challenger.

I've come across instances where these drivers seemingly intentionally get in my way, force me to work around them, or play a game of Chicken by getting too close - and most, if not all, of these passive-aggressive pissants don't have any balls to even make eye contact when I do pull up next to them. This one time a truck blasted past me through a redlight in broad daylight while I've been STOPPED for 10+ seconds (the only car at the light), and I really believe he did it as an inferiority-complex-drive-by; it's not as if he was in a hurry cuz he was taking it slow when he got to the next light.

It's a shame that the Challenger brings out such weakness in some people.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I'm the same way and it's probably from riding bikes too.
Bikes sure make you hyper-aware and borderline paranoid (or roadkill if you don't wake up fast). While in a car, passengers usually don't appreciate and I also noticed how oblivious my girl is. Pointing out to her all the threats and traps being set (I know; it sounds crazy) only makes things worse. But sometimes I gotta step on it to extract myself from a sticky situation or to merge in front of a big rig barreling down the slow lane, and this always nets me groans and complaints. To me... busy traffic is akin to a sea of people pointing guns at me, most of them walking around with their heads where the sun don't shine and their finger on the trigger.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here are some photos, the photos barely even show the extent of what the rims look like in person. Also the tread wear on my tires are totally messed up now.

My main concern was keeping my passenger and myself safe which we are thank god it could have been much worse. I dont know if it did any suspension damage beyond the alignment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Offensive driving get me out of most jams.

Learning to read other drivers before they make their move and spotting trouble drivers first.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I live in Northern Virginia, one of the most traffic-congested regions in the entire country. No one has ever forced me off the road, and I've been driving around here for over 30 years.

One must be not only a skillful driver but a defensive driver. I am hyper-aware of my surroundings at all times, and I long-ago developed a mindset that an evasive maneuver must be called upon at a moment's notice.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Sorry about your damage. These cars attract idiots real bad. Next time use that HEMI, drop it in 3rd gear and floor it. Most people like the one that ran you off the road can't keep up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish i could have done that but at the end of the day i feel i did the safest thing. about 100 yards in front of me was another off-ramp. This happened all under the freeway overpass.

Tomorrow I take it to get a quote from my insurance company and then take it to dodge later this week.

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Most importantly you're fine and they can correct the cars damages.

Reactions: FAST RS
1 - 20 of 29 Posts