Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does granite crystal fall in terms of maintenance needs, susceptibility to swirls, etc. ? Given its highly reflective qualities, is it higher maintenance and higher visibility of defects like black, lower maintenance like silver, or as I would hope/expect, somewhere in the middle?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Where does granite crystal fall in terms of maintenance needs, susceptibility to swirls, etc. ? Given its highly reflective qualities, is it higher maintenance and higher visibility of defects like black, lower maintenance like silver, or as I would hope/expect, somewhere in the middle?
Any sort of metallic paint will lessen the visibility of swirls as compared to a flat, clear-coated paint. Also, the lighter the color, the less susceptible to visible swirls. I would imagine Granite to be a step easier to maintain than a color such as mine (Jazz Blue). And far, far easier to maintain than Pitch Black.

Not as easy as silver though, which hides the most imperfections of any paint color. If this is your dream car though (not saying it is... but IF it is), I would buy the color you truly want and not make your decision based on ease of maintenance. Dark colors show dirt more easily, but if you love your car, you will take care of it accordingly.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any sort of metallic paint will lessen the visibility of swirls as compared to a flat, clear-coated paint. Also, the lighter the color, the less susceptible to visible swirls. I would imagine Granite to be a step easier to maintain than a color such as mine (Jazz Blue). And far, far easier to maintain than Pitch Black.

Not as easy as silver though, which hides the most imperfections of any paint color. If this is your dream car though (not saying it is... but IF it is), I would buy the color you truly want and not make your decision based on ease of maintenance. Dark colors show dirt more easily, but if you love your car, you will take care of it accordingly.
I'm driving a sliver car now and enjoy the balance of maintenance and looks. Today, Granite is #1 on my list of available colors. B5 is also on my short list and TorRed and sublime come and go as the mood strikes.

I would not consider black because I am too picky about how my car looks and would be perpetually frustrated by every defect that shows.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
My wifes 2014 Charger is granite and its very easy to maintain compared to my black challenger. Its a nice color

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
517 Posts
I have had various colors of cars, black by far is the hardest to maintain, silver the easiest. My current car is Granite Crystal and loving the nice balance for maintenance. I have been careful to not swirl when washing and drying the car, and I have not seen any marks yet, and it maintains an overall clean look between my bi-weekly washes.

-Kenny

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts
Granite is beautiful. Love the color on my current Challenger. Trading it in for a Billet silver one though. All of the "black" on the new Scat Pack car I ordered will be a little to "gangster" looking with granite in my opinion !

But I have had no problem maintaining granite, its cake compared to my girlfriend's black GTI.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Granite holds up very well and does react well to polishes and waxes. Compared to my black RT I had before, its night and day. With the black RT, I could look at it wrong and a swirl mark would appear...

·
Registered
212 Posts
bought my wife a van a few months ago in Maximum Steel Metallic, which is a Dark bluish gray with lots of metal flake in it, its a beautiful color but she was coming from a billit silver vehicle and as its been a few years since I owned a dark vehicle I had forgotten how hard a dark DD is to keep clean....oh and I believe the local birds have taken up using it as a bombing range, I can wash it and I promise within 12 hours it will have bird poop on it again

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Are you kidding? Granite has to be one of the best colors for easy maintenance----it hides dust, dirt and most swirls like magic.

I had made up my mind that I was going to buy Granite but then I found a screaming deal on a pre-owned Pitch Black that I couldn't refuse. Black is beautiful, and I keep her looking sweet & clean....but I still long for the Granite sometimes, as the body contours show up better with colors other than black.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts