Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Great find! Thanks for sharing :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Nice find. I look forward to reading through the various articles that are on the site as they seem good, from what I have glanced.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice find. I look forward to reading through the various articles that are on the site as they seem good, from what I have glanced.

Thanks.

You're welcome. I have gone through all the articles and I've learned SO much more about driving, braking, shifting and visualization. I have a bad tendency to keep my hand on the shifter rather than using both hands on the wheel! Such a simple thing that I forgot about since driver's ed 20 years ago. :thinkerg:

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
320 Posts
Some good articles only thing I don't buy into is the hand placement on the shifter it seems way to easy to slip your hand off the shifter just using an open palm on it. Being a professional Bowler where hand placement yields many different results in controlling a ball and dozens of different techniques to obtain the same results. I'd take that one point with a grain of salt and do what feels natural. As to the shifting technique itself I think there very correct about not jamming the gear and creating a bad angle with added tension slowing down the shift. A lot of good tips if your planning on taking your car on the track and some common sense ones that transition to safer driving like 2 hands on the wheel at all times if your not shifting.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Awesome.
Once again, I'm so glad that I bought a manual trans for this great car rather than the auto trans---it's really great to be actively involved with the car/motor/transmission rather than just being along for the ride. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Saved for later date

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
The hill/toe is where I have a hard time on the track. The pedals and my feet are too small. 9.5 shoe size.
With the amount of torque these cars have, it's very challenging to shift at the right time at the corners and not have the car jerk. I practiced a lot last week at the track with finding the right balance and getting the momentum right with changing the gear as I'm braking coming into the corner and slowly slipping the clutch and feathering the gas as I come out of the corner.
I've got almost a 1000 track miles and still learning and experimenting. Gonna look into a different pedal setup. Will benefit a great deal from Hill/toe technique.
Thanks for the post. Very informative.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I have owned both auto and manual. I am back to a manual on my latest Challenger and I'm very happy to have the car with the 6 speed. I feel like I am home again in and driving the best all around Challenger of this generation (which I love). My ram has an 8 speed and it's a whole new ballgame attached to the 5.7. The 8 speed auto is going to make a great car better. Much better, but those folks who choose a 6 speed will never be sorry if they are like me and have owned more manual transmission cars than automatics. If you like having a driving experience vs. just driving the six speed is the way to go. If you can drive it it's plenty fast and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The hill/toe is where I have a hard time on the track. The pedals and my feet are too small. 9.5 shoe size.
With the amount of torque these cars have, it's very challenging to shift at the right time at the corners and not have the car jerk. I practiced a lot last week at the track with finding the right balance and getting the momentum right with changing the gear as I'm braking coming into the corner and slowly slipping the clutch and feathering the gas as I come out of the corner.
I've got almost a 1000 track miles and still learning and experimenting. Gonna look into a different pedal setup. Will benefit a great deal from Hill/toe technique.
Thanks for the post. Very informative.

Yup and even harder on the 1/4 mile track (at least for me). Although its not the pedal, its just the 4 gears I have to row. Every time I shift a gear the guy with the auto gets closer and closer until he passes me. I know practice makes perfect, but I also know the auto is better at the drag strip. At least all the ricers that went up against me lost and some of them were autos! Now the street is completely different, once I'm in 2nd nobody is catching me :)

Reactions: wasp392
1 - 11 of 11 Posts