Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all!

I've recently made the decision that I'm a future Challenger owner. I'm in my mid 30s and have had the same beat up pickup truck that I bought when I was 19. After getting a little tired of putting a couple grand into it every year I decided that I needed to start seriously thinking about getting a new car. I started by looking at SUVs like the Grand Cherokee, mostly for practicality--a bit roomier than my tiny truck and will worry less about winter driving. However, in the back of my mind, I have always been tempted by the Challenger. I have never been much of a car guy, and always felt that the newer Mustangs and Corvettes were a bit tacky... I always wrote them off because I saw too many rich girls in high school driving around the base models that their parents bought for them while I worked my butt off to buy a clunker... But when Dodge started making the Challengers again they just really caught my eye. I love the retro look, and they've always looked fun as hell.

Just a couple weeks ago I started playing with packages and trims online to see what really fired me up, and honestly the only thing I really made up my mind about was that it had to be a V8 hemi, 6 speed... My pick up is a stick, and I figure if I'm actually going to buy a Challenger it's to have fun hearing that roar of the V8 and the control of the stick. I could play around with the other options, but those were my two base requirements. I finally got myself into the headspace to keep looking but be ready to buy in the next 6 months to a year.

But then... then I saw that beautiful limited edition 2017 Mopar. I fell in love. I'll be honest, part of me feels like I'm not worthy of owning one since this would be my first muscle car. But I love everything about it. Every other trim package I was playing with and found in someone's inventory was missing 2 or three things I really wanted if I was going to build my own given the available options... But this car is perfect.

I'm not 100% decided yet, but I have been talking to a couple dealers. My main hesitation of course is that I had been looking at cars that would run me up to about $39 - $45k, and this baby would be $55k before tax/license. It's definitely more than I'm used to paying for a car (again, still driving the same pickup since I was 19!) but I know if I get it I'll never wish I had gotten something different, which has been my hesitation with all the others I've looked at so far. The other thought, is that while I sure as hell know that cars aren't investments, there is something in my head telling me that I'll enjoy having something as special as this for years to come.

For those of you who are veteran Challenger owners--anyone care to gut check me on this? Will I be ridiculed by the car community for making this my first Challenger purchase? Is it stupid to buy such a special car as my daily driver? I honestly think I'd be just as upset if I got a scratch or ding from parking on a street if it happened on the regular R/T plus or scat packs I've been looking at, as I would if it happened to this baby... what I'm more worried about is getting a perfectly awesome car but driving it around wishing I'd just financed the extra 10-$15k and gotten my dream.

Thanks for hearing me out and providing your two cents... I look forward to reading this forum as I continue to ponder pulling the trigger on this decision, and continuing once I have become a Challenger owner one way or the other!!!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
You will feel the same about scratching any challenger you buy. Get the car you want and keep the beater as your daily driver. I've had mine for almost 6 years and I drive an 81 luv 4wd as my daily and it goes anywhere in the nasty winter.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,932 Posts
Welcome from California ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to browse some other threads to see if there's a discussion going on here (if you know of one, please feel free to point me to it) but I was also wondering if anyone had any advice for negotiating a good deal when purchasing a new challenger... This would be my first car purchase since I was 19 years old and buying used, so I'm entering a new world here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts