Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Grinding and rubbing noise turning left at low speeds and rust on 2020 SXT

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  A Guy 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new here. I just got a new 2020 sxt about 4 months ago and I didn't notice this grinding noise until recently. I have an issue with low speeds (1-10mph) when completely turning left. This happens when I exit the driveway or take a U-turn from a stop. It sounds like there is something rubbing up against one of the front tires. When I looked at the wheel well, I was surprised to find rust in there too.

Is rust a common thing for new Dodge cars? This is my first time owning a Dodge and I'm not really sure what to expect. I didn't bother to check the control arms when I bought the car because I wasn't expecting there to be rust on it. It only has 800 miles on it and I haven't driven in the rain yet (doesn't rain much here). I keep the car in a garage.

I got an email about a 1st scheduled maintenance but I haven't been able to speak directly to a tech yet to figure out what's going on.

First picture is me pointing at what I think could be the source of the rubbing (passenger side). Second and third picture show more of the rust.
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Synthetic rubber Wheel
Auto part Alloy wheel Tire Vehicle Wheel
Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
Take the wheel off, look for scrubbing marks on the tire and wheel, and on the wheel well and suspension components.

Rust is normal on steel parts that are not painted, it just oxidation. You can buy grey paint for the rotor hats.

#3 ·
Check the shocks . I had a very similar issue with my 5.7. Myfront left shocks were leaking. Can you feel it?almost felt like I was slipping on ice when making slow u turns like you said. I guess your only have 800 miles tho but my problem sounded similar only when turning left as well

#8 ·
I haven't been able to speak to a tech about it yet. It's been hard to get an appointment but once I am I'll be able to reply with what they tell me. I haven't felt that slipping feeling that you're describing though. I just have a grinding noise when the wheel is in full lock towards the left at very low speeds (0-10mph).

#6 ·
Have this same problem on my 19. Mine looks just like that. Please respond when you talk to a tech and what they say.

Reactions: WestonMcanally
#9 ·
Your dealer should refer to TSB #23-019-20 "Right Front Tire Rubbing on Wheel Well Liner ".

Customers may experience the following: A rubbing noise in the right front when make hard left turns.

#10 ·
Is it common for dodge to not have service dates for weeks out? Or is this a covid issue? Car is scheduled for the 6th of Jan to be seen.

#11 ·
I would assume that's COVID related/area restrictions but you'd have to ask your dealership. It's certainly not like that in my area but every state/city has their own regs...

#13 ·
Update: got my car back from my local dealer today after almost 3 days and the verdict at least according to them is that this is a "model" problem meaning not unique to my SXT. According to the service manager turning the wheel too far left (or all the way left as it will allow you to) is damaging to the equipment and should not be done on a regular basis. He did say they pushed the wheel well out because they did see that it was rubbing some which could have caused some of the louder scrapping sounds. But still said to avoid repairs in the future to not do such sharp turns.

#14 ·
Are you still getting the noise? I got 22k miles on my sxt and I know my car very well and I’ve been hearing grinding noise when I turn at low speeds especially when out of a driveway or a bump or event pulling into a parking spot. Took it to my local dodge dealer and they say it’s on all challengers…. Makes no sense cus why would I just start hearing it now.

#15 ·
My sxt has 22k miles on it and I’ve been hearing grinding noise at low speeds when turning. Especially when pulling into a parking spot or turning left or right from a bump I know my car very well and I haven’t heard that kind of noise before until about 2-3 weeks ago. Took it to my local dodge dealership and they say it’s the same noise on all 2019 Dodge Challenger sxt… which makes no sense because i would have heard it before. Trying to see what’s my best option at the moment. If anyone out there has any ideas please let me know. Thanks in advance.

#16 ·
This listed for both 2019 and 2020 although there is a listed date range in 2019. Check for the rubbing marks
Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Bumper

A Guy

Attachments

#17 ·

A Guy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.