Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New(ish) second owner of a 2014 Challenger R/T that has been plaguing me.
The tire pressure warning lights up anywhere from 1X - 5X in any given week.
Tire pressure is for real low, but not on any one particular tire.
The game is this: light is on, stop whatever I'm doing to air up the tires to 32 psi, do the same dance again a day or so later.

I replaced front tires 6 weeks ago (they needed it) but it's not necessarily the front tires, it's completely random.
Guy from tire shop floated all tires to check for leaks.
Said no leaks, and didn't find any reason for pressure loss.
I drive it on a couple of gravel driveways but they're not like double-ruts or anything; basically normal barn driveways and I go 5mph religiously because there are kids, there are dogs, and I'm not a gravel-spraying butthead.
Please advise???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Try raising the pressure up to about 38. Then it should stay good longer. It sounds like you have a slow leak and the system is a little hyper-sensitive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Seems like a 2014 TPMS batteries shouldn't't be going out already, but maybe putting new TPMS's in will stop it. Another thought, does your ambient air change a lot where your at? Cold, Warm, Cold, Warm can affect tire pressures quite a bit. Have you tried putting the tire pressure up to 35 or 36 psi so when the pressure does change it doesn't send an alert for low psi ( not sure what the low level is that will send an alert ) just a thought.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Are you sure somebody isn't messing with you by letting air out of the tires?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tire issues - or frenemy letting out air? ha!

Lots to chew through here. Yes to change in ambient air temp. Runs from mid-fifties to high nineties during any given day. Hmm. If someone's gooning me, it's a good one.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Some people think this is a gimmick but it might be worth a try. Not sure where you are located but places like Costco offer nitrogen fill for tires. Nitrogen is an inert gas and does't expand and contract with temperature like air. But if that was a factor I'd think you would see a trend where your tires would be low in the morning but OK in the midday/afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Don't fall for the nitrogen hype for street cars. Good old regular air is already about 78% nitrogen.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Don't you have to get down to 25 PSI before you get a warning?

If he's at 32, I doubt the temperature swing will cause more than a couple of PSI swing here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The LTP sensors worked great for 6 years, then I replaced my tires. The low tire pressure sensors triggered even though they were all at 34psi, so I blew it off and kept driving. It eventually went away after about a month, no problems now. It might be they need to recalibrate to the new environment. For the 60 bucks to replace them, I'll live with the LTP warning.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plated wheels?

I have the SRT8 plated wheels and after 4 years the plating is flaking off both inside and outside. When the plating separates underneath the bead it begins to leak. I'm losing about 1 PSI a day from a wheel that the tire store has attempted to fix twice.

If it can't be fixed or another wheel starts doing this I'm ready to throw away the factory wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts