Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I recently bought a GT 2017 because I'm from new England and i needed the all wheel drive. She is reallllly quiet and i want to make her much loader but without voiding my warranty! What are some things I could do to get the load aggressive nice sound without losing my warranty.

Thank You

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have you checked out any YouTube videos? I think some of the guys here with the V6 have gone with solo cat-backs. The good news is that the cat-back solution will not void your warranty.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another MA GT owner. Got mine back in March. I agree it is too quiet. But I'm wondering how to get past the MA law that says you can't modify/change the exhaust system to make it louder than the stock system. Am I misreading that? I don't want to shell out a bunch of money on a solo catback only to fail my inspection. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Welcome to the forum from another MA GT owner. Got mine back in March. I agree it is too quiet. But I'm wondering how to get past the MA law that says you can't modify/change the exhaust system to make it louder than the stock system. Am I misreading that? I don't want to shell out a bunch of money on a solo catback only to fail my inspection. Any thoughts?

So, I can tell you that I have the Mopar Performance cat-back for the 5.7L, which I have been told, is the equivalent of the Corsa Sport and I have passed MA inspection now twice with it in place. A friend of mine has the Borla extreme, I think it is the extreme, and he has had no issues either. Both sound great, his is obviously louder when WOT. The thing is that in MA there is a db level ordinance that will be the limiter. For those that like it really loud at times, consider cutouts. Some towns have their own even stricter noise levels for exhausts and LEOs will pull you over for an extremely loud, like nascar racetrack loud, exhaust and write a ticket or issue a warning. I think as long as you do a cat-back set up and leave the system in tact, no deletions, you should be fine. This forum and its members are very very knowledgeable that I am sure can go into greater detail. I am just relaying my personal experience and what I have heard in MA. I think you will be fine.

Even though it can be different in person, check out some youtube videos of GTs or SXTs that have sound bites of before and after. I have heard some super nice V6 growls, in fact AGuy has a super sweet sound to his ride. I am sure that you will find something that brings a wide azz grin to your face. :grin2:

IMO the growl is half the fun of driving the Challenger. Good Luck!!

PEACE!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks! My plan is to go with the Solo Catback like A Guy. Looking at adding CAI too.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,625 Posts
I had the Solo 1st, but the CAI did deepen the sound. I was reading on MA exhaust law, and OMG, they don't even lay out a certain decibel, just "harsh and objectionable". I will say that in normal driving, the Solo exhaust is not unusually loud. At WOT, they will hear you, lol. I'd think your concern, beyond a gung ho trooper, would be the inspection. But again, at cold start and idle, it's not a Harley. I don't want to recommend something that would cause you trouble, but as with @ChallengerBoston , I suspect a normal sounding exhaust will pass...It's the open header sounding motorcycles that started all that. A Guy

·
Registered
173 Posts
It is definitely the inspection that is of concern. Not worried about the trooper or local police

1 - 8 of 8 Posts