Dodge Challenger Forum banner
5K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  mattagc 
#1 ·
I need to buy some new tires and I thought I'd get anyone's opinion. First, I actually like the stock tires which are Michelin as they are quiet, grip decent, and they are decent in the snow. But they are expensive and while I'm not opposed to getting the same and that is my initial plan, I would like to hear other thoughts. I am not going to get a set of snow tires so I'm targeting all seasons.

For those who live in an area of snow what are you running? Do you like them better than stock? Price point, although I'll look that up for my area. Any other general thoughts or comments appreciated.

Our snowiest time is March/April but with working from home I may make it through this winter and get tires later in the summer but researching now.

#4 ·
I like the factory tires also but looking for other ideas. I'm a bit over 36,000 miles but we have a state law about tread size. They don't go around checking tire treads unless you're in an accident and if you are below their mandated tread then you can get a ticket.

PA. Two sets of wheels/tires. Summer Performance and studless winter. If I don't care about performance I just run "All Season" (aka No Season) tires in the summer.
In a perfect world... I don't have the space to keep two sets of wheels laying around so this is not an option.

#7 ·
I have a 2017 GT and this is my 4th winter. I switched to Continental True Contact Tour. I love them. Great ride in dry or wet and snow too. I prefer them to the OEMs. We’ll see which ones last longer but so far I think the Conti’s will take the prize. I live in MA North West of Boston almost in NH. Lots of snow time logged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I have a 2017 GT and this is my 4th winter. I switched to Continental True Contact Tour. I love them. Great ride in dry or wet and snow too. I prefer them to the OEMs. We’ll see which ones last longer but so far I think the Conti’s will take the prize. I live in MA North West of Boston almost in NH. Lots of snow time logged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks; I appreciate the comment. I am researching these.

#10 ·
I need to buy some new tires and I thought I'd get anyone's opinion. First, I actually like the stock tires which are Michelin as they are quiet, grip decent, and they are decent in the snow. But they are expensive and while I'm not opposed to getting the same and that is my initial plan, I would like to hear other thoughts. I am not going to get a set of snow tires so I'm targeting all seasons.

For those who live in an area of snow what are you running? Do you like them better than stock? Price point, although I'll look that up for my area. Any other general thoughts or comments appreciated.

Our snowiest time is March/April but with working from home I may make it through this winter and get tires later in the summer but researching now.
I’m in the same boat as you... just got a 2020rt and got stuck in the snow once or twice here in pa. Also looking for some multipurpose tire

#13 · (Edited)
The OEM Michelins on my 2017 Challenger were useless in the snow after 17K miles. I've been running 275/40/20 Continental DWS06s for the last 70K miles with 20K of that on snowy/icey roads without any issues. Got 54K miles miles out of the 1st set of DWS06.

I've also been running the DWS06s on my 2014 Chevy SS Sedan (6.2L V8) for the last 90K miles and haven't had any issues on the snowy/icey roads. I was driving 140 miles round trip to work daily with 3 months of snowy/icey roads.

#14 ·

I live in East Central Minnesota where winters are fairly severe. I run snow tires in the winter months and summer tires when its nice. Canada considers all-season tires as three season tires and I agree with them. When driving on ice and packed snow one must consider steering and stopping as well as been able to accelerate.

#15 ·
Not with a GT, but I've been using XIce-3s on my R/T for winter driving here in Alberta for years now and never regretted them. Yeah, it's a second set of tires, but I've also gotten smaller rims for them. (20x9.5//20x10.5 in the summer, 18x8 in the winter.) They are coming up in age though -- probably on their last winter, so I suspect I'll end up replacing them with something studded.

My one nitpick about them is that while they have good overall traction and control, (and with driving to the conditions) I've never had issues, but when they are on the hardpacked snow or ice, they sometimes struggle to grip after stopping at a light, etc. I'd like to try a set of something like studded Hakkapeliittas when these are replaced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.