Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone think it's realistically possible to swap out the TR-6060 for the GT350 transmission? Is it adaptable? I believe it is also a tremec.

I really dislike the manual in my 2012 Challenger R/T. I love driving a manual, but it's just not natural feeling.

I did the skip shift eliminater, the CDV delete, Barton shifter, and royal purple fluid on a brand new transmission. It's still so notchy and so much work. It's a fight to shift every time. I get it, it's a muscle car. But if there's a better transmission for road course driving, I'd like that option.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Wrong forum if you're asking about Ford products...do you really think someone has swapped a Ford trans into a Dodge that can provide information to you ? ... think about that for a minute.....

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
You have a baseline problem with the transmission, clutch or linkage. I have had 3 six speeds 5.7, 6.1, 6.4. The two SRTs each had over 125 passes the track. All 3 were buttery smooth and light to shift. The only time there was notchyness is if I made repeated hot laps and mind you this was WOT and never lifting the gas during shifting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have a baseline problem with the transmission, clutch or linkage. I have had 3 six speeds 5.7, 6.1, 6.4. The two SRTs each had over 125 passes the track. All 3 were buttery smooth and light to shift. The only time there was notchyness is if I made repeated hot laps and mind you this was WOT and never lifting the gas during shifting.
How do I fix this?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have no real answer to your problem other then you need a diagnosis. Your post reads like you have had the car and same transmission since the car was new. The problem has always been present and nothing you have done has changed the symptoms in any way in the past 8 years. How many miles on the car? How often are you doing track days? Do you drive the car hard even when daily driving? Has the car ever been in an accident? Presumably the car has been to a dealer, what did they say? Have you ever taken the car to a specialized shop for inspection?

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
the tailhousings vary on Tremecs according to what the OEM specs as well as gear ratios might be different

Ford often has a top mount style shifter vs. the remove shifter the LC / LA series Challenger.

Probably for the OP, is have the transmission pulled and gone through by a shop to check out bearings, and do the carbon fiber or bronze synchro upgrades to improve the shifting.

Tremec has been doing on-going improvements in the TR6060 my '16 shifted like a fully broken in unit compared to the balky shifting my '09 had until ~ 14k.

The '09 still had the cold drive 1st > 2nd clanky shift for the first 3 - 4 shifts then would get smoother as the oil warmed up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no real answer to your problem other then you need a diagnosis. Your post reads like you have had the car and same transmission since the car was new. The problem has always been present and nothing you have done has changed the symptoms in any way in the past 8 years. How many miles on the car? How often are you doing track days? Do you drive the car hard even when daily driving? Has the car ever been in an accident? Presumably the car has been to a dealer, what did they say? Have you ever taken the car to a specialized shop for inspection?
So here is the story. I bought the car used from Carmax at 51K miles. I got the transmission replaced at 60K miles. I had burned out my synchros and had to replace it. I then did the CDV delete and barton shifter and skip shift. I have twice done a royal purple synchromax fluid exchange. I have only done two track days and two drag stripe days since. I drive the car spiritedly and it is my daily driver. I do not bang gears on the street, but i launch it a bit at every stop. I have not had the transmission inspected since i got the new one installed. it shifted better when it was new, but that was with the factory shifter, which was awful. with the Barton, the shift throws were better, but it still feels notchy. No accidents. Since i got a new transmission and did all the mods usually recommended on these forums, i thought maybe it was just a notchy feeling transmission and maybe the Treme TR-3160 of the GT350 might be better, if it were able to be retrofitted to my car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the tailhousings vary on Tremecs according to what the OEM specs as well as gear ratios might be different

Ford often has a top mount style shifter vs. the remove shifter the LC / LA series Challenger.

Probably for the OP, is have the transmission pulled and gone through by a shop to check out bearings, and do the carbon fiber or bronze synchro upgrades to improve the shifting.

Tremec has been doing on-going improvements in the TR6060 my '16 shifted like a fully broken in unit compared to the balky shifting my '09 had until ~ 14k.

The '09 still had the cold drive 1st > 2nd clanky shift for the first 3 - 4 shifts then would get smoother as the oil warmed up.
what are these upgrades? where do i get them? Upgraded synchros sound like a great way to resolve some of my issues. Thank you for the input on the difference between the Ford and Mopar transmission differences. maybe the TR-3160 is not going to work, but some internal upgrades would be nice!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,004 Posts
Why not do a tremec magnum with custom gear ratios...or better yet swap out the gear ratios in the TR6060? Otherwise if it is shift quality that bugs you have the block rings upgraded. I fogot who had it done here but I swear that I remember them saying it greatly improved the notchiness in first and second. Although might as well have them all replaced if it is going to be taken apart.

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts
The Ford application TR-3160 might not have a bell housing that will fit since Ford engines and Chrysler engines would have their own designs

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
In regards to the synchros, its along the lines of something like this:

Our tremecs use carbon synchro rings. While durable, they dont lubricate very well. Think about a rough coated surface trying to slide smoothly as you are throwing the stick. It get caught giving you a nibble into 2nd gear.

My solution? Barton + forearm = slam it into second

However

An awesome old timer on youtube with the same issues and same tranny (in his gt500) worked with a tremec authorized shop to take apart, inspect, and replace the rings with HYBRID synchro rings. I believe one side is still carbon, whole the other is sintered metal. Giving you a better lubrication surface creating the ease of shifting

Actually i told my buddy about this for his 2013 392 6 speed, and he went to one of my customers and did just what I explained above along with a clutch service and a new barton, no more nibble

·
Super Moderator
15,591 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,961 Posts
Gila Hemi had it done (among other things), he may have some insight

A Guy

Reactions: jackstr
1 - 15 of 15 Posts