Dodge Challenger Forum banner

GTs in snow, salt, any rust issues

738 26
I figured I would ask, since folks with the AWDs probably use them in winter.

How are they holding up per the rust on lower portions of rockers in front of rear wheel wells.

Considering buying one before they go away as winter car, but curious if anyone with a 2017 or 2018 is seeing any bubbles.

I have a 17 SRT but that isnt driven in winter and I ripped it all apart and flooded the wheel arches and rockers with fluid film after digging the stupid foam out and also took the jute padding out in the rear wheel well.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
12,989 Posts
For an idea how challengers rust...check out this thread.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am aware of the threads on rust, I was just wondering if the newer ones post 2015 are still having the same issue. This section of the forum would be the best to find out since most folks probably drive them year around and bought them for the AWD.

Per winter vehichle, trucks are pricey, and not so easy to get in and out when your older. My wife has an WK2 Overland with the quadra lift, so easy for the wife who has a bum knee to get in and out when it lowers an extra inch in height. I would also assume the trucks will rot out around the rear wheel arches in the bed and rocker panels, all trucks in my area regardless of make are rot buckets once they get 10 or so years old.

An AWD GT would fit my criteria. I figure this will be one of the last years to get something I like with port injected gas engine ( 3.6) and pretty much known quality.

· Registered
23 Posts
You asked about the Challenger, but I had a 2013 Charger RT AWD and drove it in the winters here in MD. I rarely get the harsh winter snow which requires a 4x4, but enough snow at times to make things fun/pain in the @$$. I had her for 9 years and had no issues with the salt and/or rust.

· Registered
4 Posts
I found this shortly after I bought my car.. it has me concerned about the longevity of no rust.

· Registered
379 Posts
Buying a challenger as a winter car...? Kind of silly if you ask me I would go with a truck/suv...4x4.
Best winter vehicle I've ever owned. Fun and handles like a dream in the snow. I have a truck. It sits in the driveway as I enjoy my Challenger 365 days a year.

OP: No issues yet after 5 loong Maine winters. At least they used to be long. This winter has been like 40s and 50s with 1 storm. Kinda unnerving.

Reactions: polara71

· Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
12,989 Posts
I am aware of the threads on rust, I was just wondering if the newer ones post 2015 are still having the same issue. This section of the forum would be the best to find out since most folks probably drive them year around and bought them for the AWD.

Per winter vehichle, trucks are pricey, and not so easy to get in and out when your older. My wife has an WK2 Overland with the quadra lift, so easy for the wife who has a bum knee to get in and out when it lowers an extra inch in height. I would also assume the trucks will rot out around the rear wheel arches in the bed and rocker panels, all trucks in my area regardless of make are rot buckets once they get 10 or so years old.

An AWD GT would fit my criteria. I figure this will be one of the last years to get something I like with port injected gas engine ( 3.6) and pretty much known quality.
Not much difference between pre-2015 and post-2015 except for interior, electronics, front/rear bumpers, rolled fenders, hood, and A8 trans. According to FSM for 2017 foam is still used.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

Go here and lookup for yourself.
Product Font Rectangle Screenshot Multimedia

· Registered
225 Posts
I have a 2017 GT with 70k miles in Massachusetts. Daily driver. They put tons of salt on the roads up here. So far no signs of rust but I go through a touchless wash regularly (sometimes once per week) with the under carriage rinse mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
126 Posts
Buying a challenger as a winter car...? Kind of silly if you ask me I would go with a truck/suv...4x4.
May want to check what section this is posted in. An AWD GT Challenger would make an awesome year-round daily driver in cold climates with the right tires.

I’d never want to attempt to drive either of my Scat Packs in snow, but I’d love to have an AWD GT for winter driving.

· Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In 2015 they changed the rear inner wheel well structure, some theorize to reduce the water egress into the seems to prevent the issue, the sheet metal behind the padding which I removed, also drilled holes and flooded the area behind it with fluid film and also applied Eastwoods wax coatings in the wheel well and flooded all the cavities in the subframes with fluid film

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

· Registered
Custom order. 6 speed manual
2,951 Posts
In 2015 they changed the rear inner wheel well structure, some theorize to reduce the water egress into the seems to prevent the issue, the sheet metal behind the padding which I removed, also drilled holes and flooded the area behind it with fluid film and also applied Eastwoods wax coatings in the wheel well and flooded all the cavities in the subframes with fluid film

View attachment 1073225

View attachment 1073226
That area isn’t the problem. The issue is the holes used for mounting the plastic rocker covers.

The issues was not resolved with the 2015+ cars.

· Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
5,660 Posts
I've seen trucks rusted so bad you can see more road than sky. Even the heavy channel steel looks like metal munching termites have been at it.

I have a 2017 GT with 70k miles in Massachusetts. Daily driver. They put tons of salt on the roads up here. So far no signs of rust but I go through a touchless wash regularly (sometimes once per week) with the under carriage rinse mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's probably the best solution. Drive whatever but run it through the car wash to get the under carriage rinsed. Along with of course the top of the whatever...

When I lived in the mid-west (MO) in the winter every time the temperature was above freezing I took my cars to the local car wash -- just a few blocks away -- which offered heated water. I rinsed the car top to bottom then put down a rubber pad and got down on my knees and rinsed the under carriage.

Come the end of winter I gave both cars a good hand wash at home. And flooded the cars with garden hose water. Top and underneath.

· Registered
170 Posts
Road salt kills....... It does not descrimate, it kills all metal cars except stainless steel one and even that one rusts, just slower. I drive a Junker 4x4 in the winter and park the dodge under a cover.

· Registered
5 Posts
Let me say I feel very sorry for you guys living in the RUST BELT . I used to and have seen many beautiful cars turn to crap. I once owned a beautiful Mach I and after 5 years it was a rust bucket. Same thing with my first Challenger. I now live in sunny Arizona and rarely see a car with rust. Happy hump day all.

· Registered
379 Posts
Yes salt kills. That's not up for debate. Our winters are loooong and I don't want to drive a junker for 5 months. I bought my GT specifically because I WANT to drive it in the snow. I love my car but I don't expect to keep it forever. I normally keep my cars about 10 years. After that my tech and safety features are normally outdated and I'm ready to upgrade. That being said, I've had her almost 6 years and her body literally looks brand new.
No one needs to feel sorry for me living in the great state of Maine. I've lived and travelled all over the US and chose to settle down here :)

· Registered
1 Posts
I figured I would ask, since folks with the AWDs probably use them in winter.

How are they holding up per the rust on lower portions of rockers in front of rear wheel wells.

Considering buying one before they go away as winter car, but curious if anyone with a 2017 or 2018 is seeing any bubbles.

I have a 17 SRT but that isnt driven in winter and I ripped it all apart and flooded the wheel arches and rockers with fluid film after digging the stupid foam out and also took the jute padding out in the rear wheel well.
I have a 2017 GT and live in Minnesota. I wash her regularly and absolutely NO rust so far anywhere!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts