Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
1/4 and I'd say the Javlin. I had one with the 390. You never knew what could be in there. The AMX's had some scary drives as well. AMC always mixed thing.

Top End... SRT.

Price? If that's a number matching and true Goat?? That's going to be worth more sooner.

So? When do we get the answer? What did I win??? lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The 71 AMC Javelin on the left has an AMC 360 cubic inch engine backed by a long out of production BorgWarner M11/12 series automatic transmission, it makes the same torque as an RT, but less HP, but it weighs a thousand pounds less.

The GTO is a 69 RAIII spec 400 cubic inch engine, it makes about the same HP as an RT, but more torque than than the 6.1. And it also weighs a few hundred pounds less. It is backed by a Muncie 4 speed.

and the RT in the middle,
a 5.7 Hemi backed by an auto ...

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
How far are they racing? Out of the hole, the Challenger will kill both the Javelin and the GTO since those two are going to sit there burning their skinny rear tires off.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I had to look twice at the Challenger. I seen the hood stripe. Didn't look at the spoiler. Thought it was an SRT.

My Javlin would almost pull the tires off the ground. My cousins AMX did.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just talking about the quarter mile.

The RT has an old school solid black hood stripe I added, plus I painted the spoiler gloss black. Plus stripes down the side.

The GTO is a real GTO. It left the factory a regular 400 automatic with black vinyl top. It now has a RAIII built engine, and manual, not numbers matching. The RA components, Judge spoiler, stripe, etc. are added. I could have bought two of them for the sticker price of the RT I bought new in Sept. of 08. A used 05 or 06 LS2 GTO would cost you more right now than my 69.

The Javelin sat since 88, and I rescued it for 2k, starting, driving, and almost stopping. and have about another 2k in tranny rebuild, tires, brakes, 100$ of redneck driveway bodywork and paint, etc.

Right now, as they each left the factory, the Challenger is faster.
With modest mods, the old cars would be as fast or faster.
But for the same money you could make the Challenger faster.

Just making the point,
that for some reason people don't think the Challenger RT is a low thirteens car stock. But they think the older cars are faster than they are.

But a low 13s car you drove on the street back then was seriously bad assed. Mid 12s was barely streetable if at all. And now you have factory low 13s and high 12s cars that weight 4k pounds, with all the modern conveinences and everything works great.

AMC performance cars were highly under rated, and remain especially so. Both the GTO and Javelin feel more brutal when accelerating, the torque to weight ratio is just a lot more. But the modern tranny, etc. let the Challenger win out.

I also have a 74 Plymouth Roadrunner, small block automatic, with sun roof in primer I need to put in a gas tank, exhaust, get the electricals working, etc. needs tires, etc. etc. has a 73 Satelite interior I got for free. The price of my Challenger would have bought me ten of them. Just a yard driver not road worthy yet. And guess what. It won't be as fast as the Challenger.

The V6 Camaro, V6 Mustang, and new 300hp V6 Challenger have performance on par with all but the best of the muscle cars as they left the factory. The GT Mustangs, RT Challengers, SRTs, SS Camaros, and new 11 SRTs pretty much out perform virtually all muscle cars as they left the factory. We are living in great times!

Be proud of your Challengers, they stand up well to the musclecar era, and not all vintage muscle car era rides are some TV auction millionaire price. Keep American performance car history alive, for the price of a new hood, CAI, and fancy rims you can get a whole car.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
From the first photo I can't say which one is the fastest but I can sure tell you which one hurts my eyes the most...:lol:

As much as I dislike GM, it aint the Pontiac.....

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
What; you're not patriotic?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From the first photo I can't say which one is the fastest but I can sure tell you which one hurts my eyes the most...:lol:

As much as I dislike GM, it aint the Pontiac.....
I agree,
when you first see an AMC R/W/B car, it may be a little much. It is a little much on the eyes.
But the SS AMX, TA Javelins, Rebel Machine, and the like just grow on you. And to think AMC was sticking these patriotic cars in the face of some of the most turbulent, flag burning times in American history. Pretty cool.

Its like when I see some of the green, purple, pink cars, etc. Either new or vintage. How the heck did anyone buy one of those. Then after a while you are like, that's pretty cool. I want one. The only color I can't wrap my mind around as ever wanting is yellow. maybe it will grow on me some day, but for now no.

so, anyone says the R/W/B car is a little much, and does not like it's apprearance, I am cool with that. Even if you don't like the looks of it, you better admit it is cool though. Because if you don't admit my American flag colored vintage muscle pony car is cool
a) some computer program internet tracker thing will flag you and put you on an un-American list.
b)someone else that owns one may read this, get their feeling hurs, and show up at your house with a tire iron

(obviously a joking post- no threats of computer monitorings or old school ass whuppings intended)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
As the OP stated, these are good times, I would say even GREAT times for performance cars. Who would have thought after the mid-late 70's, all of the 80's, and even early 90's we would have the power, handling, and choices in cars today?

I would challenge anyone to get in a beautifully restored, but unmodified muscle car from the 60's or early 70's and give it a drive. (If you can find someone that will let you). Those cars had some speed, but it was definitely straight line speed. Handling and cornering were abysmal by today's standards. It amuses me how the Challenger takes it on the chin for cornering and steering. I probably don't push my car like some, but I've had it on some windy roads, and I do push it on cloverleaf interstate on ramps, and I think it handles beautifully, and stays pretty flat. Certainly, by the standards of the '70's, it drives like a Ferrari on rails.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
No points to set. Hardly ever look at the temp gauge while sitting in traffic with the air on. Know that it would definitely put the old Challenger to shame in a straight line or twisties.

We got it good!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Are you sure your not my twin down there?? Lol
The only difference is you've kept yours, while I've had to sell mine down the line.

I had a 74 Roadrunner as well. lol Same car just white with the green RR stripe. I haven't thought about that for a while till you posted the picture.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to start driving til the early 80's. Due to my age and budget, a lot of my muscle car were already 15 - 18 years old and pretty used up. You had to be handy with a wrench or you were walking.

I'd say we're pretty lucky to walk in into a dealership and buy one brand new. Loved my old cars, but then I had more time than money.

I always invisioned when I was young with these cars..... "Wonder what it drove like new?" Now I get that chance. Very lucky indeed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree,
when you first see an AMC R/W/B car, it may be a little much. It is a little much on the eyes.
But the SS AMX, TA Javelins, Rebel Machine, and the like just grow on you.
Although it is true a 1971-7X Javelin may have to grow on you, the first generation factory painted RWB Javelin is a much more conservative car style and paint wise and doesn't require the "growing on you". I agree 100% that the 1971+ cars do grow on you... But it took me 15 years to warm up to them.

Can't say that a 360 with the BW M11 would be much of a threat to a a modern V8 Challenger, But a decked out 390/401 might have a chance.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Are you sure your not my twin down there?? Lol
The only difference is you've kept yours, while I've had to sell mine down the line.

I had a 74 Roadrunner as well. lol Same car just white with the green RR stripe. I haven't thought about that for a while till you posted the picture.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to start driving til the early 80's. Due to my age and budget, a lot of my muscle car were already 15 - 18 years old and pretty used up. You had to be handy with a wrench or you were walking.

I'd say we're pretty lucky to walk in into a dealership and buy one brand new. Loved my old cars, but then I had more time than money.

I always invisioned when I was young with these cars..... "Wonder what it drove like new?" Now I get that chance. Very lucky indeed.
Count me in on the Roadrunner bandwagon. Had a '73 Richard Petty Blue, black stripes with 340 engine; sold it when I got married. Got a '74 used a few years later with the 400. Neither one was anywhere close to performance or MPG of today's Challenger, but I liked 'em! Wish I had both of them right now! Would be a nice addition to my retirement funding.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hyfire;745728]Although it is true a 1971-7X Javelin may have to grow on you, the first generation factory painted RWB Javelin is a much more conservative car style and paint wise and doesn't require the "growing on you". I agree 100% that the 1971+ cars do grow on you... But it took me 15 years to warm up to them.

Can't say that a 360 with the BW M11 would be much of a threat to a a modern V8 Challenger, But a decked out 390/401 might have a chance.

love it.
very sweet car.

A decked out 360 might surprise you.
As for the BWs, they may not stand up to a 727 but are the equal + of a 904. I would prefer a 727 and a 401, but there is just something cool about the car still having its original drivetrain that makes me stick with it (besides the fact it is a total budget car).

Now, also don't forget,
the Challenger gives up a thousand pound advantage to the Javelin. I hate to say it, but the AMC is very underated and the GTO over rated in comparison.

I also think our Challengers are under rated.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That car is a factory 1 of 100 T/A, but it had a hotrodded 401 motor with a T-10 and a 391 rear. It was a beast. I just sold it about 25 days ago. I also have a ShadowMask Big Bad AMX which is a factory 360/M11. It's a fast car, and has some hot rod equipment, but couldn't keep up with the Challenger.... Now I also have a '67 AHRA Rambler that could kill any stock R/T, but it's an all out drag car with cross-ram so it's not a fair comparrison.

It is so hard to compare an old car with a new car. Like the earlier post said, not having to worry about the car overheating is priceless... My AMX is bulletproof and has never broken down, but that doesnt mean I dont worry about it.

At any rate, cool cars... I dig the Trans-Am Replica paint...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts