Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a driver power seat but the passenger seat I dont think is powered. How much room do I have before I will have issues with an under seat vaulting messing up front and back movement of the seat? Can I wire either of the safes below into the vehicle electrical system? Will they fit and still allow my seat to move?

GVB1000 - MINI & MULTI BIO - HANDGUN SAFES

GunVault GV1000 DLX Shipped Free

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can't answer your question... however...

If this wouldn't work, there are small lock boxes out there for vehicle applications which can/may fit in the glove box/center console... there are plenty for trunk applications.

Or, mount a small one the floor of passenger side, in front, kinda underneath the dash. You can use your floor mat to cover it.

If this will be a temp storage area for the weapon, you can find smaller, less bulky (less tamper resistant) lock boxes... those you showed are hefty (I had one). A regular lock box will keep kids safe and keep out common quick-grab thieves.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
At 4.9" tall, I'm fairly certain that box is too large to fit under the seat and even if it did fit, you'd never being able to operate it while sitting in the seat.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I carry my Glock 37 in the center console and still have some room left for other small things. If the safe would fit you could never get to it if you needed it fast.
A gun needs to be in reach with you in the seat belt at all times or there's no need to carry it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Before doing any kind of permanent vehicle modifications, I'd double check your state's gun laws - I know that adding any kind of "hidden" compartment for storing a firearm is illegal in California (like just about everything else gun related).

·
Registered
416 Posts
I carry my Glock 37 in the center console and still have some room left for other small things. If the safe would fit you could never get to it if you needed it fast.
A gun needs to be in reach with you in the seat belt at all times or there's no need to carry it.
Si... si senor! But, if he's using the lockbox/safe to temporarily store the weapon while he's at the gym/beach, that's when the locking feature is needed and "readily accessible" isn't as important.

Before doing any kind of permanent vehicle modifications, I'd double check your state's gun laws - I know that adding any kind of "hidden" compartment for storing a firearm is illegal in California (like just about everything else gun related).
I BELIEVE what those laws refer to are "non-factory hidden compartments"; not add-on safes/lock boxes that fit into an existing crevice/space (like a glove box).

For example: cutting a hole in the dashboard, creating an accessible space where one didn't exist before... that's what they're referring to, IMO.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I BELIEVE what those laws refer to are "non-factory hidden compartments"; not add-on safes/lock boxes that fit into an existing crevice/space (like a glove box).

For example: cutting a hole in the dashboard, creating an accessible space where one didn't exist before... that's what they're referring to, IMO.
Indeed, but what the law intends and what the law says are two different things.

I would be VERY careful about performing any kind of modification that could even possibly be construed as violating these kinds of statutes, especially if he's in an anti-gun state/city.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have the GV1000 and I don't think it will work under the front seat.

The issue in CA comes when you make the locking container part of the vehicle when you bolt it down. That's a no-no.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im just going to bolt a sentury fire safe in the trunk. Any issues? What type of bolts would be the most secure?

·
Registered
818 Posts
If i'm not mistaken unless you have a concealed carry lic any firearm can not be accessible to the driver or passenger thats why in most cases you have to carry the weapon in the trunk.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im just going to bolt a sentury fire safe in the trunk. Any issues? What type of bolts would be the most secure?
Grade 8 bolts should work fine.

I have a CCW permit (carry concealed) because unlike Commiefornia, we believe that criminals are not entitled to a safe workplace. I carry a Glock 21 and my wife carriers a Glock 22. I just don't get not letting law abiding citizens protect themselves for the scum roaming our streets.

You don't even want to know about my assault rifles and sniper/hunting rifles. We are fully prepared for the zombie apocalypse.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
If i'm not mistaken unless you have a concealed carry lic any firearm can not be accessible to the driver or passenger thats why in most cases you have to carry the weapon in the trunk.

No, not true. What if you have a truck?

In California you just have to keep the firearm unloaded in a locked container during transport. You can have a loaded magazine in the same container as long as its not inserted in the gun. The container can be placed anywhere, also.

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Not that it really matters because the box the OP is considering would pass muster in pretty much all states, but California permits gun carry in a vehicle if:
(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than
the utility or glove compartment ...

(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device. (CA Penal Code Sec. 12026.1)
As for having a loaded magazine near the gun, courts have held that if the magazine is near enough to the gun it will be deemed to be loaded, i.e., a clip that was rubber banded to the handle but not within the gun was deemed to be loaded, etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You don't even want to know about my assault rifles and sniper/hunting rifles. We are fully prepared for the zombie apocalypse.
You know this raises an important question which I don't believe have been covered on this forum - how does the Challenger fair against zombies? Any suggestions for effective zombie slaughtering mods?

Personally I think you really need to step up to the SRT-8 to truly defend against hoards of the undead.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Troll alert guys !

·
Registered
217 Posts
You know this raises an important question which I don't believe have been covered on this forum - how does the Challenger fair against zombies? Any suggestions for effective zombie slaughtering mods?

Personally I think you really need to step up to the SRT-8 to truly defend against hoards of the undead.
The first part of this (the sequence from The Walking Dead) should answer that question:

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Did you notice the OP in the vid?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I have a CCW permit (carry concealed) because unlike Commiefornia, we believe that criminals are not entitled to a safe workplace. I carry a Glock 21 and my wife carriers a Glock 22. I just don't get not letting law abiding citizens protect themselves for the scum roaming our streets.

I carry a Glock 21 as well. I can carry a handgun loaded with my license but rifles have to be locked in the trunk. I am also looking for a way to lock a rifle up in the car so it cant be stolen with the fold down seats.

·
Registered
861 Posts

Youve read The Zombie Survival Guide? Excellent book for anyone hoping to make it in the zombie apocalypse!

Def with a sunroof to pop out and take your shots at the hordes safely!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Def with a sunroof to pop out and take your shots at the hordes safely!

Damn! I knew I would regret deleting the sunroof. Thanks a lot.

So this might be off-topic, but how would you take your best shots without the sunroof? Drift in circles of smoke while firing repeatedly out the window?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts