Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RT Classic Bright White
30 Posts
100% can tell you one of your mufflers is bad.
If you can go under when it’s cold and hammer fist then I bet you will find one at least has a loose fin inside.

I bought my 11 RTClassic in April with 104k on it.
First thing I noticed was the same sound after revving is that metal vibration sound when you let off and the engine returns to idle.

about the gurgle. How often do your drive and where. Mostly city? Cold climate? Short trips parked outside?

if it were me I would get an open stretch let it warm up then from a few rolls go wot and blow that stuff out. My hunch it’s condensation in the exhaust and probably why that fin in there is loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
100% can tell you one of your mufflers is bad.
If you can go under when it’s cold and hammer fist then I bet you will find one at least has a loose fin inside.

I bought my 11 RTClassic in April with 104k on it.
First thing I noticed was the same sound after revving is that metal vibration sound when you let off and the engine returns to idle.

about the gurgle. How often do your drive and where. Mostly city? Cold climate? Short trips parked outside?

if it were me I would get an open stretch let it warm up then from a few rolls go wot and blow that stuff out. My hunch it’s condensation in the exhaust and probably why that fin in there is loose.
Ahh okay that makes sense, I mostly drive highway trips to my college 2-3 times a week so its nothing crazy, ima warm it up and do what you said tonight and see what happens. That would make a lot of sense if one of my mufflers is bad. What are the downsides to having a bad muffler? If any at all.

·
Registered
2011 RT Classic Bright White
30 Posts
If it’s the metal part that your calling gurgling.. it’s not much more than just annoying. Will it harm anything? Not really. But for piece of mind I couldn’t stand it.

if you google “cross section of muffler” or some variation of that look at some of the images you will see the fin or baffles that are welded in a way that give the brands different characteristics.

Here’s a small article relating to your question

There should be a small drain hole near the end of your muffler almost all have them.. it’s to let the condensation weep out so you don’t end up with corrosion in there. If it didn’t weep out you could imagine what the heat and moisture over time will do to a weld within the muffler.

Go on offer up and search in auto parts for Dodge Challenger mufflers or Dodge Challenger exhaust. You will find someone who is trying to offload cause they just upgraded and are selling their stock ones or better. Take them to a shop and get them change out.1 hour shop labor tops.

·
Registered
2020 R/T Scat Pack 1320 edition
114 Posts
Had a Flowmaster muffler fin came loose and it made that noise while at idle but didn't do it at cruise. The extra exhaust flow at cruise kept the fin in place. I went with Borla Sportsman muffler in which is a straight through design with baffling .... not fins or chambers as they are properly called. I will not use a chambered muffler because the fins will break loose over time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts