Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 GT with about 8k miles on it. Recently, I've noticed that if I drive around for a while and then come to idle for a bit, I'll sometimes hear a gurgling sound coming from the drivers-side dash. It goes away after 20 seconds or so and also seems to stop right away if I turn the HVAC system off (but could have been coincidence that it stopped when I turned off the HVAC system). Doesn't happen all of the time. Coolant temperature never runs hot.

Now I was in a small fender bender about 6 months ago and they did replace the A/C condenser because they said a few fins were bent (although, I saw it before I took it in and think it was just a money-maker to replace it - don't think it really needed replacement, but that is a different story...)

I really don't know if it always did this or if it only started after the A/C condenser replacement. You can only hear it if the radio is off, which is almost never for me, so it was just a coincidence that I heard it that one time - and just have been specifically checking for it since then. So may or may not be related to the A/C condenser replacement.

Anyway, I wanted to see if it's just air in the cooling system first - so should I just try opening the overflow container cap while car is cold and starting the car and letting it idle for 15-20 minutes to see if it's just air in the cooling system? Just wanted to make sure that was the correct way to get rid of air in cooling system and that I wasn't going to cause coolant to heat up and overflow or something. :)

Then again, I guess it could even be "normal". It's something that you have to specifically listen for with the radio off - and doesn't last long when it does it. Just thought it was strange.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
I hear the same sound in mine after I shut the engine off and sit in the driver’s seat for 45-60 seconds waiting to see if the dash lights are going to do that thing they do sometimes that forces me to cycle the ignition to make them stop.

Anyway, as long as there are no coolant leaks, I.e. you’re not having to add coolant to the system periodically, I wouldn’t worry about it. The heater core inlet/outlet is in that same area you hear the noise, it’s likely coolant traveling through the heater plumbing that you hear.

(Remember the coolant system is pressurized and subject to vacuum and pressure pockets, which can make noises as they seek equilibrium.)

Reactions: jtrosky

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,029 Posts
My 1st thought after reading the title of your thread was AC. I've not heard it from my car, but it's generally on with radio up, or off and I'm out of car. But I've heard it before, and from refrigerators as well

A Guy

Reactions: jtrosky

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - I'm not going to worry about it then. I don't have any sort of coolant leaks, everything works as expected, including heat - and the coolant temperature never runs hot. I'll chalk it up to being "normal" unless I see any other symptoms. Under normal circimstances, I will never even hear it anyway. :)

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
Thanks guys - I'm not going to worry about it then. I don't have any sort of coolant leaks, everything works as expected, including heat - and the coolant temperature never runs hot. I'll chalk it up to being "normal" unless I see any other symptoms. Under normal circimstances, I will never even hear it anyway. :)

Thanks again.
The reason I brought up the cooling system leak is that I have heard mine gurgling after shutting the engine off, and it was coming from the same area, but that was due to a low level of coolant, which was itself due to a leak I had at the time. Once I resolved the leak and was no longer adding coolant on a periodic basis, that particular sound ceased.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
These cars seem to make all kinds of odd noises that are hard to isolate.

After all these years of trouble free enjoyment, I have learned to just accept the fact that my Dodge is not a refined import. Its big, loud and clumsy.

However: It's always fun to drive!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,310 Posts
Could be some trapped air (maybe some subcooled boiling as the head surface temp is hotter than the coolant) in the cooling system gurgling through the heater tubes? I have a V6 liberty that has a noisy cooling system despite multiple attempts to purge the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts