Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, we pulled everything out of our 6.4L car this week that we could remove and still drive it - more than 500 pounds moved from the car to the shelves!

We'll bolt in a race seat and some Speedlogix go-fast/be light parts next week and hit the track with it for the second time on January 12th to see how much change in performance we can measure.

More pictures here.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
thats awful. LOL
all that for a couple tenths maybe 1/2 a second
I think your nuts personally.
you could just add a shot or a couple pounds of boost and gain the same thing and still have your car nice and clean inside

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
I take it this is a test car you got your hands on? Get all the results you need, but please put it back together!!!

Jack

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Man, It actually saddens me to see a Challenger in that king of a state.
I hope it's really worth it for you.....OUCH!!!!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
That must be an early test mule. Notice the 08-10 front fascia and spoiler, yet it has the new steering wheel. This will be a cool project to follow. Looks like it will be a pure race car. :bigthumb:

Good Luck with the project

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
thats awful. LOL
all that for a couple tenths maybe 1/2 a second
I think your nuts personally.
you could just add a shot or a couple pounds of boost and gain the same thing and still have your car nice and clean inside
Ditto. I agree with John. Add some boost or NOS to achieve the same result at the track.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Ditto. I agree with John. Add some boost or NOS to achieve the same result at the track.
People who say 'just do XYZ mode instead" are, IMHO, missing the point. Nothing else gives you free performance that removing weight does, a performance gain that is additive to all of those things you mention, and permanent.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
To the guys talking about the nitrous and superchargers...you do realize this is a road race car not a 1/4 mile car right? :cowtounge:

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Mikah what's the black SCCA Club racer in background on the one picture?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow - strong reactions to these pictures - I guess I should've put GRAPHIC as a warning in the title! I'm not and never have been a drag racer and won't argue the merits of power versus weight at the strip.

This car, however, is a GRAND-AM road race car that will only ever see racetrack pavement and is being built to the maximum potential allowed by the GRAND-AM ruleset. I'd be more than happy to entertain any and all arguments about the merits of dropping weight for road racing!

Target weight of the racecar (GRAND-AM minimum) is 3200 pounds which includes the rollcage (194 pounds by my calculations). So, we are aiming for a 3000 pound car with the (iron block) 6.4L HEMI and all stock running gear in it.

And actually, this particular car (chassis #00 to us) has a terminal sentence - it will meet the crusher before Valentines Day.

So don't get too tore up about the condition of this car. I hope anybody who loves the Challenger - even if you're not a road racing fan - will be happy to see a couple of their cars siblings spending their lives on the track at the very limits of adhesion pushing Camaros, Mustangs, and snobby German cars out of the way.

I also hope that along the way, we can offer some new parts (through our partner Speedlogix) that even the straight-line guys will be excited to gobble up. Did you know your trunk lid weighs 38 pounds?

If any of you guys need higher-res pics for anything you're working on, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Super Moderator
14,193 Posts
People who say 'just do XYZ mode instead" are, IMHO, missing the point. Nothing else gives you free performance that removing weight does, a performance gain that is additive to all of those things you mention, and permanent.
You could also have a 90 lb. midget drive it. :jester:

Of course, you would probably need to install the MOPAR racing block pedals.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
This is awesome. Do you have a website or something we can follow the progress on?

Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What an awesome project! Can I presume Dodge got you this car to see what it could do road racing with the understanding that it must be returned and squashed by the above mentioned date?

On an unrelated note, the SRT engine compartment has officially become bland as hell. Why does more power have to look like every other mountain of plastic under the hood?
Justin

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mikah,

Thank you for pioneering the efforts to place a Challenger in Grand Am racing (I'm a big fan). Looking forward to seeing the future progress of Chassis #00 before she meets her demise. Please don't take offense to some of the reactions to your project as many of us are overly protective Challenger parents that would not go the route you have chosen if the car were street driven (but you are building a road car...we now know). Thanks again & keep us updated on the build.

Rob

·
Registered
362 Posts
Whoaaa excellent pictures. One can learn so much about a car by looking at the way the car is put together... I saved them all and will spend quite some time looking at details.

Nothing beats weigh loss... of course.

Will you guys change the front end/nose in any way - for a quick replacement during the race or any other such modifications?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts