Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If DCX builds the challenger on the new ly platform it is supposed to be on a shorter wheelbase - weight savings. If DCX uses a fiberglass hood - weight savings. If Dcx uses manual seats without power or heat - weight savings. There are few other very simple things they can do to bring the weight down to about 3700-3800 lbs. Benefits for Dcx is a lighter car increased gas mileage. Hopefully, enough so they can avoid the gas guzzler tax that is imposed on the SRT8's. Hence sell more cars. Benefits for all, cheaper intial purchase price and a lighter faster car. I want this car! But, I will not pay through the nose for it. DCX build the ultimate sleeper please. Do you all remember back in the late 80's. Buick built some bad ass GN's, t-Types, and GNX's that had stock times of 0-60 in 4.9 and 1/4 mile times of 13.7. I know for a fact that with a few simple bolt ons less than $500 - $1000.00 some of these cars were in the 12's and some in the 11's. Now don't jump on my case about turbo v-6 engines. I do want all that hemi power, and I want style, but I want it easy to mod. I want a challenger that will annihilate anything that crosses its path.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Weight plays a huge roll in performance. If it didn't, than why does a Corvette C6R weigh around 2700 lbs.?! I don't remember the name of the car to save my life, but it is a hand built, few hundred cars a year pocket rocket that has a 350 hp engine. I couldn't understand their claim of sub 3 second 0-60 times and sub 12 second 1/4 mi. runs, not with just a 350 hp motor. Now the fun part, because of the weight savings in building this car it couldn't be sold here because of safety issues. This 2 passenger car tipped the scales @ 2400 lbs!!!!!!!!! I know that's a stretch, but we need to see about 3600-3700 lbs. DCX big boys!! Build it . I'll buy it!!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
MDS would help it avoid gas guzzler tax as well I believe. (Not totally sure).

·
Registered
102 Posts
wirewilly said:
Weight plays a huge roll in performance. If it didn't, than why does a Corvette C6R weigh around 2700 lbs.?! I don't remember the name of the car to save my life, but it is a hand built, few hundred cars a year pocket rocket that has a 350 hp engine. I couldn't understand their claim of sub 3 second 0-60 times and sub 12 second 1/4 mi. runs, not with just a 350 hp motor. Now the fun part, because of the weight savings in building this car it couldn't be sold here because of safety issues. This 2 passenger car tipped the scales @ 2400 lbs!!!!!!!!! I know that's a stretch, but we need to see about 3600-3700 lbs. DCX big boys!! Build it . I'll buy it!!!
When I think of a sports car, I always put the hp/weight ratio as the #1 clue if that car is really a sports car...therefore I agree with you.

If you want to have a really lightweight car in the US (you can drive it on the road if you assemble it or someone does that for you, as it becomes a kit car), check the Ariel Atom
(http://www.arielatom.com/ariel/site.php), the weight for the 220 hp version
weighs in at 456 Kg or 1004 lbs ... A power to weight ratio of 4.56 lbs/hp ... better than any other supercar around...
Oh and they have as well a 300 hp version ! Though I can't find the specs about it right now...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Legion681 said:
When I think of a sports car, I always put the hp/weight ratio as the #1 clue if that car is really a sports car...therefore I agree with you.

If you want to have a really lightweight car in the US (you can drive it on the road if you assemble it or someone does that for you, as it becomes a kit car), check the Ariel Atom
(http://www.arielatom.com/ariel/site.php), the weight for the 220 hp version
weighs in at 456 Kg or 1004 lbs ... A power to weight ratio of 4.56 lbs/hp ... better than any other supercar around...
Oh and they have as well a 300 hp version ! Though I can't find the specs about it right now...
Wow that car is awesome! I would not mind having one of those in my middle age!! (18 to be exact :D ) Is there a general price range for that :confused: , I couldn't find it.

·
Banned
95 Posts
One way to avoid the Gas tax is to go pre-owned. I never ever buy a new car, I think my two Infiniti's were the first ones I ever bought off the showroom floor but the circumstances were much different and I need my cars asap. Living here in Palm Beach and San Diego I have my pick of CPO rides so if possible find a nice lowmilage CPO and save yourself the Gas tax as well as the initial depreciation. I remember when the Luxury tax was killing everyone , adding the Gas/Lux tax to a MSRP would jack it up as much as $10K in some cases.

There are currently 2 E60 M5's on the PO lot at my dealer right now lol. One w/ 753 miles and the other 1100. People never cease to amaze me on how they burn $$.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree ErikM, it is always smarter to purchase pre-owned. It too amazes me how people burn through money without thinking about the long-term consequences. However, with the new challenger I am facing a personal dilema. Emotionally, I want this car BAD!. Analytically, I know that there are better uses for my money. Most people fail to realize the opportunity cost of their money. However, when the challenger does come out I will probably purchase it new. I will rationalize it because my current vehicle will be 10 years old and me and my wife both max out our retirement plans 401k's and Roth Ira's. Also, fine cars are analogous to fine women. You always want to be the first and you don't want anyone else touching them. By the way, you certainly have some fine transportation.

·
Banned
95 Posts
rseantan said:
I agree ErikM, it is always smarter to purchase pre-owned. It too amazes me how people burn through money without thinking about the long-term consequences. However, with the new challenger I am facing a personal dilema. Emotionally, I want this car BAD!. Analytically, I know that there are better uses for my money. Most people fail to realize the opportunity cost of their money. However, when the challenger does come out I will probably purchase it new. I will rationalize it because my current vehicle will be 10 years old and me and my wife both max out our retirement plans 401k's and Roth Ira's. Also, fine cars are analogous to fine women. You always want to be the first and you don't want anyone else touching them. By the way, you certainly have some fine transportation.

Thank you sir :) I agree 100% w/ your views. Especially the opportunity costs. I wish I could find this financial table I have somewhere that tells you exactly how much a car costs you , not in payt's or anything but what you could have done if you invested your car pay't into financial products.

For every year you hang onto your car after it is pd off you save your self about $20K a year and it goes up to $300K if you hold onto your car 15 yrs Vs buying a new one right away.

·
Registered
102 Posts
GottahaveaHemi said:
Wow that car is awesome! I would not mind having one of those in my middle age!! (18 to be exact :D ) Is there a general price range for that :confused: , I couldn't find it.
I believe the least powerful model starts at 35k...
The 300 hp supercharged one, at 47k...
But add a thing or two here or there and they can rise up in price really quickly.
Still a mega bargain as far as performance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts