Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man--my heart sunk this morning when I was driving doctor greenthumb to work and she threw up a cel!!!!-----was dreading this. Took it to the dealer and took me right in. He said he cleared it and was a code for mass air leak. He asked me if I got gas yet which I did. He asked me if I had the car running while gassing and I said I did, and he said this is what caused it. I am always skeptical when it comes to dealership service, but I guess we will see. Got to look underneath her--very nicely laid out. He was telling me something about these engines that when you hit 5000 miles to hang on, as he feels that is when you are truly broken in and the car runs stonger. He said if the cel comes on and it is not flashing to not freak out and come in when you can. He said flashing--stop the car asap and get it towed in.Hopefully we will not see any more of this. Really digging the ride so far for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I don't think the dealer is wrong. Most of us who have tunes and mods are always driving around with the CEL on. Also never fill the car right to the brim just stop when the fill handle clicks off. Was a problem with the 300s causing vapour lock when overfilled and I don't know if they fixed this but I don't hear about this problem anymore.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Were you smoking as well?...who leaves there car on while putting gas in the car??...that's just crazy...are you trying to blow yourself up???

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes--Im certifiable----never thought of it as crazy---have you ever heard of someone blowing up at a gas pump because they left there car running? I mean you do drive with your car running and gas on board and entering your engine, and actual combustion happening. Do you know what happens if you drop a lit cigarette into a puddle of gasoline?

·
Registered
176 Posts
yes--Im certifiable----never thought of it as crazy---have you ever heard of someone blowing up at a gas pump because they left there car running? I mean you do drive with your car running and gas on board and entering your engine, and actual combustion happening. Do you know what happens if you drop a lit cigarette into a puddle of gasoline?
Yes I have seen a car catch fire because it was left running while it was being filled up. And yes, I do know what happens when you drop a flame into a puddle of gas. It is the fuel vapor that you have to worry about and when you are driving the fuel vapor is contained in a closed system. Maybe that's why it says right on the pump to turn the engine off. I high lighted the part of your quote that says it all.

You might notice where the fire started, right where the vapor is coming out of the filler neck.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
*must buy marshmallows before next fill-up*

·
Registered
169 Posts
... sigh ... thats just ... lol glad I dont fill up at the same pump.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
don't listen to them, I leave all my cars running when I fill up if its hot out and my grand daughter is in the car/truck. keeps her nice and cool and it takes a while to fill a truck.

just so you know my check engine light went on this past weekend to and I felt the same. I do have 1500 miles but it still sucks. I have had 3 rams and still have 2 of them with a combined 260,000 miles with not a single problem so this bugs me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have heard of a lot of cel lights coming on 500 miles and up---never heard of one this early on, so I guess we will see. Got 15% tint put on her and it is starting to look nice!

·
Premium Member
2,682 Posts
What causes a fire to start is power running through the car while its running. Any car with grounds (every car) has current running through the body. This is enough to create a spark and you are effectively grounding your car out through a stream of gas. All it takes is one little spark to light up the vapors that are being pushed out of the tank.

Are you sure to end up with a fire on your hands if you leave the engine running? No.. But, you can eliminate the risk that you will see the unfortunate set of circumstances which causes this by 100% if you just turn your car off.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Life would be worthless if you couldn't laugh at things, eh? :)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
What I have heard is dangerous and shown on the video is the guy getting back in and then out of the car. That built up static electricity. That in itself will not ignite the fumes. Looks like the guy touched the car. I've been told that if you reenter your car while fueling, upon exiting touch something metal, like the pump or the post of the canopy. It's hen you touch the fuel door or handle of the pump which is touching the filler tank will a ground happen. I don't think it is the cell phone that will ignite the fumes. I think the cell phone theory comes from people talking on their phone while this is happening. They get back in their cars to talk and then get out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts