Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well its time buy plane tickets for when my car arives at the dealership in Idaho.
After reading the post with everybodys problems, I am having second thoughts of driving the 2011 SRT home because of the problem with O2 sensors going out and throwing a error code. If this happens while on the Alaska hwy home what choices do I have?
Can I keep driving it or is it gonna go in to limp mode or worse damage the engine?

I heard some are fixing the problem with dialectric grease on the electrial connection at the O2 sensor. If so, is that under the hood on the manifold or by the Cats on the exhaust?

What if it has to be towed for repair a 1000 miles for nowhere in Canada?

I can have it shipped on the barge up here but was looking foward to driving it home. :scratchhead:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Dude I wouldn't worry too much about mechanical defects. I would be worried more about the damage that highway driving can do to the car. I would definitely have it shipped for that reason. If you do decide to drive it I would take all of the necessary precautions of protecting it from road debris and possible rock chips. Also, remember that these cars don't come with spares and God forbid you encounter a flat or blowout. Personally, I would feel a lot more comfortable knowing that my car is being shipped and that if damage does occur they will be held responsible.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I would vote for shipping it also. When I was looking to purchase in Texas last year I figured that by the time I added up all the expenses of driving it home, i.e. gas, food, hotel, misc, missed billable time to clients, that it was much cheaper for me to have it shipped. It was even cheaper to have it shipped in a closed container so that I was really sure no damage was to come to it.

In the end though I was able to find exactly what I wanted up here so paid the couple thousand more, which also meant I had a warranty, and was done with it.

BTW - it is not like Canada is so desolate that you would not be able to get assistance on your way through. That being said if you did need towing you may have an issue in some places because our cars need flat decks only.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody, I do have the spare tire kit for it and a clear bra being installed on it. I am looking up shipping carriers now to see what my cost will be. AK907

·
Registered
132 Posts
Drive it My first long trip was about thirty days after i bought the car went from Florida to the MOPAR NATS one of the best trips of my life. What are you going to do keep it under glass when you get it home. Mine looks the same as when i got it i just hit 5600 miles it's not my daily and rarely sees rain, but again life is short enjoy the car drive it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Drive it ! My friend drove his '09 R/T Classic from Missouri to NY without a problem. By the time we get these cars the only thing you have to worry about is driving through a snow storm !!!!!

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I would not hesitate to drive it. Good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
It's definately worth the price to ship it! Its a beautiful drive up the Alcan.. but not the best roads. Check out Uship . com, I had my Silverado shipped up here from Idaho a few years back and got a great deal on there! Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks went to Auto anything site and the colgan does not have a bra for the 2011 srt. I think because of the spoiler design changing is why.

UOTE=OnTheRock'08;827977]Go to autoanything.com and order the "Colgan" bra for added rock protection and drive that baby home.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
531 Posts
People make good points about shipping and when you factor time, gas, hotel, etc. Shippingnis cheaper than driving...

However, I think driving would be my choice if I could get the time off work. I wouldn't worry about the mechanical side of things. Some have had problems, but I would wager most do not. It WOULD be a drag if it ALL went wrong, but that is just part of what makes it an adventure and life in general. No matter what, you AND the car will survive in the event you are plagued by any trials from the road. If you want to drive it...I say go for it!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If I lived in AK and was getting a car in PA - driving it ALL the way home across this great country of ours would definitely be on my bucket list.

Life is short and you never know when you will take your last breath. I say enjoy the car and your life NOW.

Live like you were dyin'.

JFF:D

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
id drive it...i think your worrying too much....yea some people have issues, but the odds are on your side

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well said everybody, Im gonna live for today and drive it home! I have the time off and my wife who is sick of me talking about this car wants to do this road trip more that me now. If anybody has knowledge of a removable bra for 2011 SRT please let me know, Calgan says the 2010 bra wont fit the 2011. Thanks for everybodys Input.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks everybody, I do have the spare tire kit for it and a clear bra being installed on it. I am looking up shipping carriers now to see what my cost will be. AK907

On your way back up, stop in Seattle, I got a spackle knife you can have to pry the 1" thick wall of bug off your car when you get there...dude are you nuts....I take it you bought from Dave smith......?

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I purchased from Dave Smith Motors, I have driven from Florida to Alaska going in at the North Dakota/ Canadian border and from Michigan to Seattle/Canadian border to Alaska route. This one will take me from Idaho directly into British Columbia than to the Yukon and into Alaska.

Im looking at putting rain-x or Nano windshield protection coating to help.
A good coating of Wax on the car and a bra or two. I have the spare tire kit and will probably bring everything to change the oil on the fly. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I live in Spokane and just picked my 11 SRT8 Black Challenger from Dave SMiths today. My 06 Charger was a show car that IO drove all over the west coast. You can use blue painters tape to tape up the front end and mirrors to protect from rock chips. They make green tape as well... I used the blue, doesnt leave any thing behind. I do the rockers and front and rear quarter areas to keep the rocks from flying up. Does it look a little weird? Yes. but it protects and it also draws a lot fo attention as people are trying to figure out what you are hiding.

When do you pick it up? They told me a green envy was coming in and was sold. If you want a ride from the airport to pick it up instead of riding the shuttle let me know. If I am in town, I would love to give you a lift out there.
Bryan

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Shhhhh. Im keeping it low key for a week or so. Just posting over here. I picked her up today and love it. It has been way to long since I got rid of my Charger.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts