Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been annoyed by the autodim mirror not reacting quickly enough to prevent being blinded by bright lights from the rear.

So,a simple quick fix changed the light range that it operates in.In order to make the mirror darken in a more suitable ambient light range,all it took was placing a small piece of black electrical tape partially covering the forward facing light sensor on the front of the mirror.This serves to fool the electronic comparator circuit into thinking it's darker outside than it is and consequently adjusts the mirror to a darker level in lower light from the rear..

It took a few tries to get it set for my personal liking,I simply fiddled with the tape until it covered a suitable amount of the sensor.
For that matter,it wouldn't be a big deal to construct a simple flap over the sensor that flips up and down,effectively creating a manual dimming mirror from the automatic one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice mod, electric tape. I can beat that, for a quick and easy mod duct tape a flashlight inside your glove box for the glove box illumination mod. I'm also working on a supercharger made out of soup cans and mighty putty, I'll get back to you all with blue prints later.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for posting this.

I just got a 2011, coming from a 1994 Honda Prelude.

I was a little shocked that something I took for granted didn't exist on this car, a simple manual flip switch for the rear view mirror.

I'm pretty anal about any kind of lights in my rear view mirror at any time of day so not being able to mitigate those on demand bugs the hell out of me. Any automated system like this should ALWAYS have an override.

I'll definitely be trying your tricks.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I didn't realize that this was a problem with the stock auto-dim mirror.
I installed a Gentex Homelink Auto-dim mirror in my F-code R/T, and had to do exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If it wasn't such a hassle, I would love to ditch the auto-dim mirror, I've had three cars with them, and a manual one works so much better. But it has the microphone for the Uconnect in it, and setting up another one would be a hassle, so I live with it. A friend of mine never uses his Uconnect, and he got the regular mirror and the auto dim is in a box, so he can put it back in when it's time to sell/trade it the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
For that matter,it wouldn't be a big deal to construct a simple flap over the sensor that flips up and down,effectively creating a manual dimming mirror from the automatic one.
After playing around with this it seems that it's not necessary to have a flap covering the sensor that flips up and down to create a manual dimming mirror.

To have a manual dimming mirror just cover the flap and leave it.

Then turn the dimming on/off with the switch on the mirror. The closest thing to the old school flip lever.

Unless I'm missing something......

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes,just covering the front sensor then using the power switch does work very well.
But, only partially blocking it changes the light range that it operates in. Then the mirror will darken to the green tint sooner.This is a help in daytime or twilight driving when the other drivers have their headlights on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts