Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading to work going over the Newport Bridge about 5 AM and I must’ve hit a piece of metal debris which caused it to kick up and damage my driver side rear quarter panel along with causing a flat tire on one of four brand new tires. I was so upset about the dings and the scratch that replacing the tire didn’t really bother me. I ordered a ding and dent remover Kit and some touch up paint but it really broke my heart that this car was such a clean cream puff without a blemish on it. Ruined my day. :cry:

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
I was heading to work going over the Newport Bridge about 5 AM and I must’ve hit a piece of metal debris which caused it to kick up and damage my driver side rear quarter panel along with causing a flat tire on one of four brand new tires. I was so upset about the dings and the scratch that replacing the tire didn’t really bother me. I ordered a ding and dent remover Kit and some touch up paint but it really broke my heart that this car was such a clean cream puff without a blemish on it. Ruined my day. :cry:
Road debris is a real problem. Some years ago my sister in her BMW was faced with a bouncing cinder block that she ended up running over. Other vehicles either ran over the same or another one as she and other drivers ended up on the shoulder of the freeway with damaged cars.

Not long after I bought my Boxster I hit a "Detroit Alligator" (tire carcass) and the impact fractured the lower hose connector on the driver's side radiator. A $125 75 mile tow to Wichita KS, 2 nights in a hotel, and $1600 later I had my car back.

On a mountain road in my GTO I hit a softball sized rock and blew out the right front tire.

Again in my Boxster a piece of concrete I could not dodge in traffic went under the car and hit the exhaust manifold/converter and the impact fractured the converter an the "brick" became loose. I eventually had to replace the exhaust manifold/converter assembly with one off a salvaged car.

I don't even want to remember the incident involved a mule deer that stepped out from behind a guard rail into the path of my Porsche 996 Turbo...

Regardless it doesn't make the experience any less painful for you. It can be a real heart breaker.

Fortunately just a tire and some minor body damage that you can repair is getting off rather easy.

Get the body damage taken care of. Are you sure you can fix this right? Maybe you should take the car to a qualified body/paint shop for its opinion? You don't have to file an insurance claim -- for instance I didn't when I hit the tire carcass -- but you want the car restored to its pre damage condition as close as humanly possible.

Maybe you can do that. But maybe you can't and you need to take the car to someone who can.

·
Registered
583 Posts
If it makes you feel any better(surely it won’t), yesterday on my daily commute home riding my Harley. I had a guy who decided he didn’t want to be in the hov lane any longer and decided to cut over the two solid white line buffers at 55mph and sideswiped me crushing my hand and leg while knocking me into the other lanes of traffic. Luckily I controlled the death wobble and got the bike to the shoulder. After finding where all the blood was coming from( a puncture in my left hand) I realized the linkage was completely ripped off and the crankcase was cracked with all the oil leaking out. So the bike is totaled my hand and leg are crushed and I’m missing work for a couple of days now. Not a good day for me either. Sorry I had to vent on your post and sorry about your car getting messed up. Remember, it could always be worse. I feel lucky , going to buy some lotto tickets !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,953 Posts

Be glad that's all it was. It could have been worse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If it makes you feel any better(surely it won’t), yesterday on my daily commute home riding my Harley. I had a guy who decided he didn’t want to be in the hov lane any longer and decided to cut over the two solid white line buffers at 55mph and sideswiped me crushing my hand and leg while knocking me into the other lanes of traffic. Luckily I controlled the death wobble and got the bike to the shoulder. After finding where all the blood was coming from( a puncture in my left hand) I realized the linkage was completely ripped off and the crankcase was cracked with all the oil leaking out. So the bike is totaled my hand and leg are crushed and I’m missing work for a couple of days now. Not a good day for me either. Sorry I had to vent on your post and sorry about your car getting messed up. Remember, it could always be worse. I feel lucky , going to buy some lotto tickets !!!!

Damn, did the guy stop?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Damn, did the guy stop?
At first I couldn’t find him , but he did stop. Along with two other witnesses in disbelief that I stayed upright!!!! I had to the guy who hit me to find out where the blood was coming from as I couldn’t see the hole in my hand. Also crushed my phone so I had to use his to call my wife before someone else told her I was in a motorcycle accident and she thought the worst.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At first I couldn’t find him , but he did stop. Along with two other witnesses in disbelief that I stayed upright!!!! I had to the guy who hit me to find out where the blood was coming from as I couldn’t see the hole in my hand. Also crushed my phone so I had to use his to call my wife before someone else told her I was in a motorcycle accident and she thought the worst.

Man, my little minor annoyance seems very insignificant having read the post you guys made. I’m glad you’re all right man! Rockster, I’ve been watching a Lotta videos about how to remove little dings so I can only make it better than what it is with that and some color coat touch up. It’s a used car so I just have to live with the minor flaw. Thanks for posting guys and I’m very sorry for Way more serious BS then I had to go through. And you are right, anything and always be worse. That’s what my wife said. I wasn’t hurt nor was anybody else.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts

Dang!

On my commute I see vehicles in the express lanes cross the double white lines all the time.

Some months ago I inadvertently got into the express lane before 8pm and shortly after I realized what I did and moved out again -- but did not cross even one single while line -- and a week or so later got a $26 ticket in the mail. But I guess the double white line crossing dumbasses just skate.

·
Registered
719 Posts
No doubt it upset you and I would have felt the same! A truck passed me and kicked up a rock. It hit the roof about 2" from the edge of the windshield on the driver's side. I was so pissed! Every time I've had damage to any of my cars, it's been off a freakin' truck! I called my insurance company and they had everything squared away and I had it in the body shop and I was in a rental car within a week. Fortunately the body shop is Porsche, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, and FCA certified. They did an excellent job and the paint was absolutely perfect!

Reactions: MrF8Green

·
Registered
413 Posts

WOW! Apparently your time is not up yet! I am very sorry for the accident....but grateful that God is not done with you yet. Not being "Christopher Reeve" or DEAD is a victory! Hang Tuff Brother....

Reactions: Ronan978

·
Registered
413 Posts
Very sorry for the damage.....but it could have been a LOT worse! A little love and your baby will be good as before :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
WOW! Apparently your time is not up yet! I am very sorry for the accident....but grateful that God is not done with you yet. Not being "Christopher Reeve" or DEAD is a victory! Hang Tuff Brother....
I’m a firm believer in when it’s your time it’s your time , no matter the circumstances. If your time is up , it’s up, this was not my time !! Thank god , as I have two boys that need me for quite a few more years!!! Thanks for the well wishes:)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
413 Posts
All,
Just a little update. I repaired the body damage on my car to about 95% original using one of these kits:

That and the color code touch-up paint. Took a couple hours but the more I worked at it, the better the results! If I didn't point out where the damage was, you wouldn't notice. Try it if you have dings and small dents. Thanks for all the interesting responses. B-
How bout that! 40 bucks and a lil elbow grease and your back in bidness! lol Congrats on the success and we live to fight another day :)

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts

One of the main reasons I no longer ride a bike. Too many people are distracted and or are simply bad drivers!
Sounds like you are pretty skilled to recover from that one. Save your own tail on that one! Good job!

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I feel your pain, I had a semi loose a chunk of his tire and if flew right into the side of my car.

If the dents/dings are small you can try a PDR guy. I know you ordered a kit, but pulling the dents can take some practice. Not as easy as the commercials make it look.

·
Registered
583 Posts
One of the main reasons I no longer ride a bike. Too many people are distracted and or are simply bad drivers!
Sounds like you are pretty skilled to recover from that one. Save your own tail on that one! Good job!
It’s truly amazing how many are on the phone or just completely unaware of their surroundings. AMAZING!!!!! I’m happy to be as lucky as I am!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
It’s truly amazing how many are on the phone or just completely unaware of their surroundings. AMAZING!!!!! I’m happy to be as lucky as I am!!!

AMEN brother!

Reactions: Ronan978
1 - 18 of 18 Posts