Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know... hardly thread-worthy. I may be imagining things but it almost feels like it can breathe better. It growls. The drone is manageable with a subtle change in driving habit regarding shifting, clutching, etc. I mean, hell. We learn to drive these cars based on what we see, feel and hear anyway. Delta-Muffler in Jackson, MS did the work for 80 bucks and I kept my resonators. They removed them in such a clean way that a re-install would be no problem.

On a sweet additional note, they were installing Magna-flows on a 2007 Charger in the stall next to me. I noticed that Bill was really taking the time to line up the tips with a magnetic level and he asked the customer standing there watching about his take on how he lined it up. Another gentleman was doing the welding once things were in place. By the time they were done, the owner was ecstatic with the job. I started looking at my own factory-installed tips and damn, they were jacked up un-even. I hadn't really even paid attention until then.

In addition to the growl, my exhaust tips look nearly perfect now. What a good day. :)

Have a good-Good Friday, fellow muscle-nuts and gear-heads. :guiness:

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Yes, I know... hardly thread-worthy. I may be imagining things but it almost feels like it can breathe better. It growls. The drone is manageable with a subtle change in driving habit regarding shifting, clutching, etc. I mean, hell. We learn to drive these cars based on what we see, feel and hear anyway. Delta-Muffler in Jackson, MS did the work for 80 bucks and I kept my resonators. They removed them in such a clean way that a re-install would be no problem.

On a sweet additional note, they were installing Magna-flows on a 2007 Charger in the stall next to me. I noticed that Bill was really taking the time to line up the tips with a magnetic level and he asked the customer standing there watching about his take on how he lined it up. Another gentleman was doing the welding once things were in place. By the time they were done, the owner was ecstatic with the job. I started looking at my own factory-installed tips and damn, they were jacked up un-even. I hadn't really even paid attention until then.

In addition to the growl, my exhaust tips look nearly perfect now. What a good day. :)

Have a good-Good Friday, fellow muscle-nuts and gear-heads. :guiness:
Sure it's thread worthy if you feel like it is. The exhaust is more free flowing now so you will sense something.
Some owners call the boxes in the back the resonators while some shops call the front units the resonators, which did you remove? The exhaust may mellow still and the drone may away so you won't need to drive around the rpm range that bothers you. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sure it's thread worthy if you feel like it is. The exhaust is more free flowing now so you will sense something.
Some owners call the boxes in the back the resonators while some shops call the front units the resonators, which did you remove? The exhaust may mellow still and the drone may away so you won't need to drive around the rpm range that bothers you. Enjoy it.
I removed the boxes back closest to the tips in the rear. Honestly, I hope it never changes from what it is. The car is a different animal now with the growl that a Hemi was born to breathe. :smokin:

At idle at red-lights, you can't hear a thing in traffic. When you dig in, it growls. When you bring the windows up and close the sunroof, it's a quiet-ass cabin and a bassy-rumble. When you lower the windows, there's drone in small amounts at different speeds, in different gears... and I love it. It appeals to my A.D.D. And when you get the f*** on it, it screams like a banshee.

... now I know why we mod. Small, personal steps we take to make these fine machines so much more personably enjoyable. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
In my mind those were the resonators but if you read enough of the posts here you will pick up on the fact that some shops call them the mufflers. Now you need someone to record a sound clip of you launching the car. I have one of my car and I can just sit and play it over and over when I can't take the car out due to bad weather or winter storage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ahh I bet that sounds pretty angry! For most people with similar setups the "drone band" is around 1800-2200rpm. If drone really becomes a bother for you (though I consider this a GOOD problem to have) then you might want to look into j-pipes. They'll quiet the low rpm drone down, but still allow your ride to sound like a beast when you put your foot down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts