Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently brought my 2010 Challenger RT into the dealership for an oil change. They told me that there was a recall for the timing chain to be replaced. So I let them replace it. Apparently, they had to do it twice. Then they said the car wasn’t running right, so they had to replace the oil pump. Mind you the car was running great before that. Now that I have gotten it back from the dealership the car seems to be running slightly off, the engine feels a little rough. I can’t quite put my finger on what might be wrong.
Any ideas on what they could have done wrong to make the car run slightly off. It’s something only the owner would notice, but it doesn’t seem right. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Initially I thought that they might have installed the chain one tooth off. But that would probably have it running more than "slightly off". Regardless, get the car back to the dealer. And maybe think about a different dealer in the future.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Definitely take it back to the dealer. I hope it works out right for you! Please keep us updated on whatever happens.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Timing Chain

I am going to bring it back to the dealer, and then I'm never going to use that service department again.

I don't think the timing chain is one tooth off, because I've felt that before and I would say that is bigtime noticable. My car seems to be slightly louder and it feels just slightly off like it might run if it was extremely cold out and it runs rough for a minute before it warms up.

If anyone has any ideas post them here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just had my timing chain replaced, and now my motor sounds louder and slightly "off" too. It seems to be okay driving around, but it definitely doesn't idle like it did before.

A trip back to the dealership is probably in order.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just had my timing chain replaced, and now my motor sounds louder and slightly "off" too. It seems to be okay driving around, but it definitely doesn't idle like it did before.

A trip back to the dealership is probably in order.

Yes, that is how I would describe my problem as well. Seems to drive okay, but the motor does sound louder and runs slightly off. I just noticed when I start it, also, I hear a clicking noise right before the engine turns on. I didn't hear that before and it doesn't sound like the starter (maybe I never noticed that, but I never heard clicking when starting the engine before). Sad thing is that the car ran like a dream for 4 1/2 years.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wonder if it's the chain tensioners or one of the vacuum lines popped of somewhere to the manifold.. a tooth off a timing and it'll run a lot rougher than what you're describing. I redid a timing chain on a Interpid V6 or another not too long ago and the timing was way off, the tensioner was not greased properly and it caused what sounded like a knock and ran like shiet. Correctly aligned the timing marks on the chain, greased the tensioner and it ran like a champ afterwards.

Bring it in ASAP in other words.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Timing Chain

Wonder if it's the chain tensioners or one of the vacuum lines popped of somewhere to the manifold.. a tooth off a timing and it'll run a lot rougher than what you're describing. I redid a timing chain on a Interpid V6 or another not too long ago and the timing was way off, the tensioner was not greased properly and it caused what sounded like a knock and ran like shiet. Correctly aligned the timing marks on the chain, greased the tensioner and it ran like a champ afterwards.

Bring it in ASAP in other words.

Thanks! It's going back to the dealer Thursday evening. I'll give an update after I get it back.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
If the timing is off by a tooth, it will throw a cam code. I retarted mine when it slipped during assembly. It fired, idle fine and when i drove it felt like shit and in a couple miles poped a P code cam timing. A tooth advanced, I don't know, never went there, however still should throw a code.
Funny when i rebuilt and stroked my 5.7 I used what was factory tensioner and chain assembly before upgrade came out. Now I have the notice so I'm just going to get the parts and do it myself.
After hearing bout you guys issues I get scared.
Flattop

·
Premium Member
10,042 Posts
Something tells me the dealer won't give the parts as they have a liability to satisfy the recall as a certified dodge representative.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Something tells me the dealer won't give the parts as they have a liability to satisfy the recall as a certified dodge representative.
Another reason would be because they need the older parts to send back to Chrysler.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Challenger

I brought my Challenger back to the dealer. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and they thought that it drives perfect. Maybe's its that the engine sounds louder to me and perhaps that is what I'm feeling/hearing. The car seems to have all it's power. When I stop on it and screams. I'm going to monitor it and see how it does.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just guessing here…but is it possible they flashed the PCM with the latest tune? It might have changed shift points, the way the MDS engages…idle etc. The car would definitely have a different "feel" if they did flash it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Challenger

I brought my Challenger back to the dealer. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and they thought that it drives perfect. Maybe's its that the engine sounds louder to me and perhaps that is what I'm feeling/hearing. The car seems to have all it's power. When I stop on it and screams. I'm going to monitor it and see how it does.

They must have flashed it, because the car isn't running poorly and it has great power when you step on it. It just seems to be running different, so I'm guessing this is what they did. It would be nice if they simply told me, so I would know this is normal. But, alas, they did not. I'm just glad to have it back!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts