Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months back on the way home from a road trip, the engine light came on out of nowhere, it was on cruise control at the time. Since that time the light went on and off intermittently. Usually went off when I had time to take it to the dealer, naturally, and we all know braindead dealers can't do shit without an engine light. But I drove it enough to get to know the symptoms.

Say I'd be doing 50 on the freeway, traffic opens up, so I step on it to get to 70, nothing happens for a few seconds(not cool), then it rockets forward. A few minutes later the engine light comes on. And when it's on, MDS does not engage, otherwise drives perfectly.

So I finally got it to a dealer last week with the engine light, they had to pull the tranny, they found and fixed the following; found K2 clutches burned, total clean and reseal transmission, replaced all necessary gaskets and seals. Recondition vavle body. Reverse flush cooler and flow check with miller tool. Replace converter due to faulty clutch. Test drove approx 20 miles, found no leaks.

I have never had a warranty on a car before, and let me tell ya I am now a huge fan of them! That cost me nothing. What I wanna know is, is torque converter failure a common problem? What caused it? And will this happen again?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
The converters in these cars are pretty damn good. Havent seen to many replaced. From the explanation the tech gave, sounds like the TRANS K2 clutches burned causing the clutch material to go through the trans AND CONVERTER. You can clean a trans but not the converter so you replace the converter when the trans fails. That is why the converter was replaced. It wasnt bad but had clutch material in it from the burn K2 trans clutches.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's got 19k miles on it. It was around 16k when the light 1st came on. And until just recently it was my daily driver.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bingo!

I got 468 KM's on my Mopar '10.
Same symptoms. Torque Converter goes in on Friday.

For the record. . . The light does not have to be on when you got to the dealer.
If the MIL light comes on, the car will store the event, and can be read when scanned.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bingo!

I got 468 KM's on my Mopar '10.
Same symptoms. Torque Converter goes in on Friday.

For the record. . . The light does not have to be on when you got to the dealer.
If the MIL light comes on, the car will store the event, and can be read when scanned.
God I wish there were a closer dealer. Allen Samuels do not know their asses from a hole in the ground!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Say I'd be doing 50 on the freeway, traffic opens up, so I step on it to get to 70, nothing happens for a few seconds(not cool), then it rockets forward. A few minutes later the engine light comes on. And when it's on, MDS does not engage, otherwise drives perfectly.

This sometimes happens to me (without the engine light). I step on gas and go WTF it not even revving? Then OMG almost lose control from it burning out at 65 all of a sudden. If I let off the gas pedal then immediately back on I get power right away. I reported this to dealer and took it in a couple weeks ago so they have record of report before the procharger goes on so they can't blame that and mess with my warranty.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Once you do the pro charger, you won't have trans warranty I wouldn't think.
They will claim the extra HP and tq and is not rated for such. JMO anyway.
I have never went in for NO warranty, ever.
FlatTop

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Asked dealer about it and they said they would need to prove the mod caused problem to not cover it. So I made sure to report it before putting in procharger. They said they couldn't find any problem but sent to engineers in case others reporting issue

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts