Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
She was down a hill in the woods, the old Biasply tires still held air for a few hours. A 1971 mostly complete, missing engine, and trans, some trim Challenger. Lots of cancer but a still solid restorable car. I have my work cut out, but I have time to tinker while working on other projects. She was a code C car, fixed quarter glass slant six auto, my plans are a 440 plus other goodies....as time permits

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to ask. Why if any reason are the quarter glass locked up in closed position, and regulators are deleted with a round cap in the crank hole, and how often was this done.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Looking forward to seeing much more!
The windows thing is interesting. Probably a very low level optioned car that was affordable but still oozed cool.
I like the period correct fog lights too.

·
Super Moderator
14,555 Posts
I forgot to ask. Why if any reason are the quarter glass locked up in closed position, and regulators are deleted with a round cap in the crank hole, and how often was this done.
There was a Deputy model (mid '70 through end of '71MY) and there also was a Western Sport Special (certain trim items as a discounted package).

Those were base model Challengers, with the rear window regulator delete and limited options (slant 6, 318 and 383-2bbl). There were very few built with 383-4bbl.

dual horns, lighter and day/night mirror optional, the seats were the plainer Barracuda style vs. the Challenger pattern.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Inspection begins....for repair body

Whew....Both quarters, outer wheelhouses, trunk filler from back glass, all floors, trunk floor, both fenders, 1 rear frame rail, torsion brace under floor, 1 rocker, trunk drip rails if not on bigger panels, have a new old stock R/T hood. Also have this chunk if can get more info on,..1-7/8" tapered stem pinion (aka. '489')
Carrier casting numbers: 2881488, 2881489 (1969-1974). This assembly was introduced in 1969 and was phased-in to replace the 1-3/4" unit through 1970. Note: the 1-3/4" pinion also appeared in some '489' carriers during this period. By 1973, the '489' was the only unit available in passenger car applications. This assembly was typically used in high weight/medium horsepower applications through high weight/high horsepower applications. Pinion depth is set with shims, preload is set with a crush sleeve. Differential bearing setting (ie. backlash ) is set with threaded adjusters. Mine is a 489 series.
All inside plastic panels are in good enough state to refinish, no AC, have wood grain dash, 120 speedo, and 3 gauges, one blocked off/oil gauge, wood grain door panels. Has power steer, no power brake. Doors good, trunk deck repairable. I will more than likely find more hidden rust as I get to a disassemble. Best case guesstamation with labor will be close to 30K for factory fresh killer ride, but time will tell. I wish the fender tag was more readable, the car was originally Gold, Lt/goldish brown interior, have front, rear seats, that's a plus, and thank the Lord the grill is perfect....
Included is the fender tag if any can help with specifics....
Will put more info as I get to tearing her down.....

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
8,549 Posts
Very nice find, congratulations. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
13,484 Posts
This should be a nice project. I assume that you going to make it an R/T clone with the 440. Can't wait to see the finished version

How did you find it? How much did you pay for it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
few more pics

Just some interior pics, and bad body spots.
Also came with the car a good set of 72 bumpers, 72 tail lights, and grill. I have no need for them, would entertain selling, or trading for some 71 piece,/part I would need..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I can't wait to see this when it's done!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This should be a nice project. I assume that you going to make it an R/T clone with the 440. Can't wait to see the finished version

How did you find it? How much did you pay for it?
Yes a R/T clone is where it needs to be, found word of mouth, paid too much $900, gotta go back after thinking on a 1970 basket case Charger base with AC car...May buy just to have a parts car with the AC dash, about all that's good on it...plus 3 440, and a 383 to go after...

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
You are brave! More than what I would want to tackle. After my last experiences restoring old cars I told myself I would never ever do it again but it's fun to watch others bring them back to life. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts