Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Good on ya for rescuing an old muscle car (I mean that) but I've gotta say that one should be let go. You're going to dump an unreal amount of money and work into a car that is not even remotely desirable outside of being a Challenger. Bad investment, too many other projects out there with a better starting point, both condition and how optioned. I'd sell the parts and move on but I'm going to enjoy seeing it done if you don't...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good on ya for rescuing an old muscle car (I mean that) but I've gotta say that one should be let go. You're going to dump an unreal amount of money and work into a car that is not even remotely desirable outside of being a Challenger. Bad investment, too many other projects out there with a better starting point, both condition and how optioned. I'd sell the parts and move on but I'm going to enjoy seeing it done if you don't...
LOL, I can understand, I've built worse for other people, The Challenger is on my long list of 64 Galaxie, 64 Studebaker GT Hawk, 47 1/2 ton Ford Panel truck, 69 Ford Ranger.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
That just means he can build exactly what he wants, without any pressure to keep it original. I'd be tempted to jack one of these in there and save trouble:

DYNACORNBODIES.com | 1970 Challenger Replacement Body Shell | Dynacorn Bodies

Dumping an unreal amount of money is just how project cars go. Sometimes you know it going in, sometimes you don't.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I rebuilt this one. It is an A66 car, numbers match 340 four speed (modified with SIX PACK), and 3.91 gears. I added rear quarters, inner wheel wells, trunk extensions, frame rails, front fenders, all engine compartment sheet metal, and every part in the interior (including the blue dash pad) had to be replaced. The drive train from front to back was completely rebuilt. Floor pans were 98% solid. Yes, it has won shows. I believe the thread starter guessed it would take 30k to restore it. Based on what I had in mine, and doing some of the work myself, that's pretty close. Now the question becomes, what kind of 70 or 71 Challenger can I buy already done (that may be better) for 30k? Knowing what I had to do, and looking at the shape this car is in, I would ask myself some serious questions before starting it. Remember the only way you can get a return on your investment is to finish the project. If it sets half done, that will not be good. My two cents.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
This would be the kind of project I'd enjoy...the chance to basically build a car from the ground up.

On a side note, that trailer hitch is hilarious!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This would be the kind of project I'd enjoy...the chance to basically build a car from the ground up.

On a side note, that trailer hitch is hilarious!
Lol, that's actually a solid hitch, it raps under, and attached to the frame...Was thinking on keeping when car put back together...being period correct aftermarket part...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lol, that's actually a solid hitch, it raps under, and attached to the frame...Was thinking on keeping when car put back together...being period correct aftermarket part...
Ahh, ok I gotcha! It looked like just a couple of 1/2" bolts were holding it on lol

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
so is this a restore or restomod?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Nothing better than the old body with a new 392..... More powerful than original and the old torqueflites will work with them. If you run a carb you still need a computer for the timing though as the new motors have no distributor provisions....

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Wow, you're going to manually prep this body. You have quite a project ahead of you.

I used to do things exactly like you until I discovered the acid bath. It saved tons of time and guessing about what metal is worth saving and which needed to be replaced.

In the end, you're going to have a nice hot rod. I look forward to the pictures along the way.

·
Registered
577 Posts
This thread made me curious how many repro parts are around these days. The last time I restored one of mine 20+ years ago there was little. Anyway this link really made me do a double take. Now if they can only do this for a Cuda and Charger.

CLICK

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
This thread made me curious how many repro parts are around these days. The last time I restored one of mine 20+ years ago there was little. Anyway this link really made me do a double take. Now if they can only do this for a Cuda and Charger.

CLICK

Wow I but between them and Year One you could build one from scratch, I just wonder how you get a vin for it? Same as the fiberglass kit cars?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

CLICK

If this bill goes through, you will soon be able to buy your brand new 1971 Challenger and a list of other cars.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/114/hr2675/text

For those not interested in all the Govt. slop, here is another link for you.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/06/17/bill-could-launch-new-american-classic-car-industry

21 - 40 of 40 Posts