Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 SE. 50,000 miles since new. Never a problem until today. Engine would start, clatter for a while then quit. Could not achieve or maintain normal idle with the gas pedal.

Requesting insight from owners who might have encountered the same problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Unfortunately you will need to wait until someone runs a scan before you can figure out what happened. These newer vehicles are all electrically controlled and will send out codes that lead you in the correct direction to do the repairs. Unfortunately also these new scan tools are pretty expensive for the do it yourselfers but they are getting cheaper and the new consumer level ones actually have 2 way communication to let you reset stuff just like the dealer level units. I'm looking to get one myself since the 45rfe trans is acting up in my 5.7 Hemi Javelin.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,657 Posts
All anyone can do at this time is speculate. The only time I had a car engine act up shortly after starting then die then fail to start again was when a fuel pump quit. This at around 200K miles. (With another car the fuel pump quit at around 140K miles.) While 50K miles is relatively low miles a fuel pump can quit at any time.

If a fuel pump quit with your vehicle there may be a code as Prostreetamx mentioned but there may not be one. If there is a code this will point the tech towards the root cause of the engine's behavior.

If no code the tech will of course check for fuel, spark, and air, all of which the engine needs to run. Keep in mind too your's is likely not the first car from that MY or MYs to manifest this behavior so he might have a good idea of what the problem is when he sees the car come on on the flat bed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't panic just yet. If it has been fine, with no odd noises, it could just be something like a crank sensor or a million other similar things. I wouldn't assume lifters just yet, have a beer and wait for the results of your scan :)

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
True...but faulty cam/crank sensors don't clatter...BTW did your 2010 have the recall for the timing chain performed already?

Oh wait you have an SE...nevermind.

With the 3.5 it most likely it is not valvetrain related.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rockster:

It happens that I was suspicious of the fuel pump, or perhaps a sudden clog in the fuel system.

I had just been thinking that out of all the cars I have owned over the years, this one has purred along with no trouble the longest. Even that day, it started immediately and purred its way to the church. After the service, it was unwilling to sustain more than a few seconds before dying. The groundskeepers were making so much noise, I couldn't hear the usual pressurization upon turning the key, but the quick death each time did suggest fuel starvation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Prostreetamx:

I do have a pretty good code reader, a Millennium 90, but it was at home. The car had to be towed directly to a service shop. It is the very first time I've had to do that since my first car in 1972.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do want you kind and generous correspondents to know that the wife and I really baby this car. No hot-rodding or aggressive driving. We are old people and drive like it. We bought it in 2009, it has just over 50,000 miles, and we are still on the original brake pads. Those pads do not squeal and have been checked during tire rotation just a few months ago. Still good.

Plus, I have always changed the oil before the corresponding dash light illuminates.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My current code reader is a 1 way unit that sends codes to my phone so it is always with me since I leave the bluetooth sender plugged in. I hope to purchase a dealer level unit soon but I need to make sure it will also work on my 2019 ScatPack since the software it comes with probably doesn't go that far yet. I'm looking at the Launch X431 mini that runs around $800.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
This says it can cause all sorts of issues, Not saying it is, just saying it could be or many other things that are retarding timing for example.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=crank...s=n&sk=&cvid=968781a713644552fcf8eca73fb1f84f
Well after realizing it was a 3.5 and not the 5.7...a bad cam and/or crank sensor is more plausible than a bad lifter. When OP mention hearing clatter at start up I immediately thought of the 5.7 as the earlier years had valvetrain issues.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Our Challenger is repaired now and back home in the garage

The problem turned out to be a short in the fuel pump. The dealer replaced the pump assembly and the associated fuse.

Total cost for parts and labor was $790.

BTW, no codes were thrown or stored.

Thanks to all for insights and suggestions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts