Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrived at the first destination of our vacation in Keyser, West Virginia. An hour after we arrived, it started to rain and then it started to hail. When the hail stopped, Patty and I went outside to check on the car. So far so good; no damage. The sky looks real bad, plus we are under a tornedo watch.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Cover her with thick blankets. It will look stupid and look dirty when you take them off but it will cusion the hail from hitting the car.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
I'm considering getting a cheap car cover and keeping it and blankets in my trunk. If I get caught off guard, I can throw the blankets on and tie them down with the cover.

I've been caught in hail and had nasty dents from it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
My car just got hail damage Tuesday night because it was parked at the dealer(getting leather installed). The install took longer than it should have, so they kept it an extra day, and now there are 10-15 little dents in the hood, roof and trunk. Of course they aren't liable thanks to their little service contract, but the manager is being somewhat reasonable and fixing the damage for $100.

Bitter sweet having the new leather seats installed and looking at those little dings on my girl. :(

·
Registered
50 Posts
plissken99, I hope you didn't mean that the dealer would be charging you $100 for the dent repair although the cost of removing them will probably be much more than that. I just had two dents in my hood removed using "paintless dent repair" and there is absolutely NO evidence that they were ever there. A qualified "PDR" person can do magic with dent removal. It may be faster to use body filler and paint but I sure wouldn't choose that unless I was told that it was not possible to use the PDR process.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yep, it's in their contract that they aren't liable for things like hail. It sucks, but I feel I'm getting off light though, as my insurance has a $500 deductable, and the dealer doesn't need my insurance. They are giving me a really reduced rate. And they say they have a really good paintless dent repair guy on hand.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i feel yor pain,i had my first challenger 1 week and got in a hail storm so i know how you feel,i used a dent repair service could not find one flaw when they finished:bigthumb:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After the storm, I checked the car and there doesn't seem to be any damage. But I won't know for sure till I clean it after the vacation.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked the roof again, about an hour ago. We do have a few small dents on the roof. How would they get the dents out of the roof? I guess that they would have to get the headliner out of the car. Any info would be appericated.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
The paintless guys can do it from the outside. Hail should be covered under your comp insurance. I know I have $0 deductable on it and they usually know paintless guys and so should your dealership.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
IHow would they get the dents out of the roof? I guess that they would have to get the headliner out of the car. Any info would be appericated.
They basically use a big ass suction cup on the outside and pull the dent back out. They may also use a few other methods on more stubborn dents and the finish off. Here is a link to Wikipedia for a better explanation Paintless dent repair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a link to a site that has a video on it. Autocosmetic.com - Paintless Dent Removal

·
Registered
50 Posts
The easiest (and often fastest) method is for them to remove the headliner. If that's not done, they can use hot glue to attach a little "plug" in the dent and then give it a quick yank with some sort of tool to begin pulling out the dent. They also use a small tool (similar to a nail set) and tap on it with a hammer around the edges of the dent to "relieve" the tension in the stretched metal. As I mentioned in an earlier post, a qualified PDR person can do magic in removing dents.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just had a bunch of dents taken out of two of my vehicles (not the Challenger which was in the garage, thank God). They were able to PDR all but the worst hail dents. Looked pretty good. Cost about a $100 per dent I think. Taken care of by insurance so I never really saw the final bill. Tried that throwing a thick blanket over one of the cars. Couldn't tell the difference. Still broke the windshield and left a dozen good dents one of which had to be pounded out & re-painted. The rest were PDR'd.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
I was thinking of normal hail. If it's big enough to break the windshield I don't think anything will keep the car from getting damaged.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
If it is the golf ball size hail you could always through a good thick blanket off the roof and then add a sheet of plywood. You may have to add a few bungy cords but it would hold........hahahaha

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just got all my hail damage fixed, dealer had it for about 2 hours, and it's good as new!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Always do, she is under cover every night... cept one lousy night when she was at the dealer. From now on I won't take it in if there so much as clouds in the forecast.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Insurance adjuster came by this afternoon. I should hear from the insurance co. the beginning of next week. Then I'll find out how much they will pay. The adjuster spotted more damage than my eyes saw.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts