Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Suicide Half-Door?

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the next Challenger came with a half door, would you consider this a welcomed feature or not?

I would if it was flush with the body and only opened from the inside while the front door was open.

Car pictured above is the Mazda RX8 and the closest example I could find to what I would like to see.

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
Yuck. No.

Reactions: 1968rt

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
936 Posts
If you want a 4 door, buy a Charger and leave the Challenger alone.

The most disgusting car on the road could easily be the RX8.

There are very few 2 door cars left, and you want to mess up one of the last ones.

I think the Challenger is the only FULL SIZE 2 door domestic car left?

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Ugh - no. It didn't work for the RX-8 and probably was a reason the sales tanked on that model. Never sold as well as the last RX-7 series.

The other half-door models that I recall

Saturn Coupe

prior gen of Mini Cooper Clubman - on that one, the pass side half door almost blended in, but that was a rarity.
The more straight lines on the body probably made that work.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,235 Posts
No. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Lie. Non. Ne. Nei. Nej.

To do so would make that version of the Challenger as gimmicky as the Mitsubishi Galant Lambda was as a Challenger.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh - no. It didn't work for the RX-8 and probably was a reason the sales tanked on that model. Never sold as well as the last RX-7 series.

The other half-door models that I recall

Saturn Coupe

prior gen of Mini Cooper Clubman - on that one, the pass side half door almost blended in, but that was a rarity.
The more straight lines on the body probably made that work.
Let's be honest, the RX8 tanked because it had a rotary engine with worse reliability than the previous RX7, and they threw the styling out the door.

The Challenger is already a large car, a half-door wouldn't change the shape.

If you want a 4 door, buy a Charger and leave the Challenger alone.

The most disgusting car on the road could easily be the RX8.

There are very few 2 door cars left, and you want to mess up one of the last ones.

I think the Challenger is the only FULL SIZE 2 door domestic car left?
I don't want 4-doors, I want 2.

Half doors doesn't a 4 door make.

No. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Lie. Non. Ne. Nei. Nej.

To do so would make that version of the Challenger as gimmicky as the Mitsubishi Galant Lambda was as a Challenger.
A half door would make it gimmicky?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
Why stop at half-doors?

Dodge-Challenger-SRT-Hellcat-Shooting-Brake-2.jpg

Then it is perfectly ok to put your kids in the back. :smile:

Also, Mazda should have just made the door longer.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Not for me! I went with the Challenger because it was a 2 door car. If the Charger came out with 2 door and looked retro, I'll probably jump on that...

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why stop at half-doors?

View attachment 857689

Then it is perfectly ok to put your kids in the back. :smile:

Also, Mazda should have just made the door longer.
Yeah, why not make the challenger into an 18-wheeler while we're at it?

Probably because it changes the body shape, unlike half-doors.

Not for me! I went with the Challenger because it was a 2 door car. If the Charger came out with 2 door and looked retro, I'll probably jump on that...
Again, half-doors do not make the car 4-doors. You wouldn't even notice them on day to day.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Let's be honest, the RX8 tanked because it had a rotary engine with worse reliability than the previous RX7, and they threw the styling out the door.

The Challenger is already a large car, a half-door wouldn't change the shape.
More cut lines would not look good.

Plus the body integrity is compromised by such a large opening. Without a B-pillar, you'd have to put more structure, making things heavier.

A lot of trucks (body on frame) that have the half-door bodies, have greater body flex in the cab. Been in a number of them and experienced that vs. the 4 door crew cab versions.

The RX-8 also had that weird stretched look and the arched fenders - along with the half doors. Many elements together just didn't work on it.
-sports car with half doors was the answer to a question no one asked for.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I do wish the rear sail window was functional. And 18 wheel is too much but add a dually and you're on to something.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I do wish the rear sail window was functional. And 18 wheel is too much but add a dually and you're on to something.
Yes, functional rear quarter windows would have been a nice touch.

Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More cut lines would not look good.

Plus the body integrity is compromised by such a large opening. Without a B-pillar, you'd have to put more structure, making things heavier.

A lot of trucks (body on frame) that have the half-door bodies, have greater body flex in the cab. Been in a number of them and experienced that vs. the 4 door crew cab versions.

The RX-8 also had that weird stretched look and the arched fenders - along with the half doors. Many elements together just didn't work on it.
-sports car with half doors was the answer to a question no one asked for.
Fair point, I was not aware of that.

I would not like to compromise structural integrity for it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Why would you do that to this beautiful car ?? If you need 4-doors to cart folks around then buy yourself one of the many ugly 4-doors (or even a mini van) on the market today and leave the Challenger alone. What's next, a diesel Challenger ?? :surprise:

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
Why would you do that to this beautiful car ?? If you need 4-doors to cart folks around then buy yourself one of the many ugly 4-doors (or even a mini van) on the market today and leave the Challenger alone. What's next, a diesel Challenger ?? :surprise:
Oh, wait! A diesel Challenger? That would be interesting! >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Yeah, why not make the challenger into an 18-wheeler while we're at it?

Probably because it changes the body shape, unlike half-doors.

Again, half-doors do not make the car 4-doors. You wouldn't even notice them on day to day.
I got it. I was just stating why I wouldn't get a 4 door car. Half door for me would be uglier then a 4 door so I wouldn't even entertain it...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Not for me....messed up lines and added weight and probably less rigid...Its already big enough...juts get a Charger is you need that much access to rear.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not for me....messed up lines and added weight and probably less rigid...Its already big enough...juts get a Charger is you need that much access to rear.
I doubt the lines would be too messed up, but I didn't think of the loss in rigidity.

I don't need access to the back that badly, but that doesn't mean entry / egress from the rear can't be improved.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,370 Posts
I doubt the lines would be too messed up, but I didn't think of the loss in rigidity.

I don't need access to the back that badly, but that doesn't mean entry / egress from the rear can't be improved.
I'd like to chime in here. I've had passengers in my back seat exactly twice since I bought the car 5 months ago in June. I'll bet I'm not alone. As much as I'd certainly agree with you here about some extra backseat access, I doubt that this would ever be a priority for Dodge. This car is about the look, the memory, the feel, the power, a lot of things, but making the back seat more accessible isn't part of the formula. Making the buckets smaller, shorter, or easier to slide out of the way might help, but rear seat access isn't high on the list for this car. A third door would VERY practical, but it would indeed change the look of the car and would no doubt add more weight and cost to a car which is (arguably) already rather heavy compared to its competition and a little pricier as well. This would no doubt be an engineering challenge, and this would be a huge change in Dodge's track record of Challenger development. They have poured some huge money into R&D for this car, but we all know what they did with it. It is the poster child for Dodge's image as a performance brand, and any money spent on future models will likely be focused toward that end.
Consider this: a 3rd door might draw a percentage of let's say, family guys to the Challenger family. But where would they be drawn from? Those who'd have bought a Charger instead? How does that help Dodge?

...body integrity is compromised by such a large opening. Without a B-pillar, you'd have to put more structure, making things heavier.

A lot of trucks (body on frame) that have the half-door bodies, have greater body flex in the cab.
I had both a standard cab F150 and one with the half doors. Huge difference in ride quality. Over the big bumps, the thing felt like it had a giant hinge under my seat.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts