Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Can anyone help and recommend me halo lights for my challenger? I have seen some that change colors too, but I want to get something durable and will last many years. I am not really sure where to start, and if it seems too complicated I may hire a mechanic to install them. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
872 Posts
i also have the oracle colorshifts, which are pricey for what they are and the build quality isn't the best (the shop that installed mine had to re-solder some wiring), but the end result is pretty spectacular.

if you pay a shop to do it, i would make sure they're reputable and have done these before. a good install will surely improve the longevity of the halos. expect to pay around $600 depending where you live.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i also have the oracle colorshifts, which are pricey for what they are and the build quality isn't the best (the shop that installed mine had to re-solder some wiring), but the end result is pretty spectacular.

if you pay a shop to do it, i would make sure they're reputable and have done these before. a good install will surely improve the longevity of the halos. expect to pay around $600 depending where you live.
Thank you for the advice and tip! But jeez $600 is a lot for just installation...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes i have the color shifts and i have the fog lights also so from oracle it was $499 and then with install and tax i was out the door just over $900. They are well worth the money and once you have the color shift controller and remote and its really easy to add lights to it. I've added footwell lighting that makes your interior look good and im in the process of lighting up my engine bay and hoodscoops.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Holy freaking cow... I think for that kinda installation price, I'd buy a replacement set of headlights, install the halos, then swap them out with the existing, and sell those to recoupe some cost lol.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
$900 bucks is just crazy to me! I'm in the process right now of installing multicolor halos myself, will likely wrap up the whole headlight install tonight. I'm taking a bit of a different route and went with a set of eBay halos for $50 bucks + $25 for the fogs.... I could never personally justify spending close to a grand for halo leds... as cool as they look. I was skeptical at first and figured whats to loose? I'm a huge DIY type person so the install didnt really concern me too much, if you look at the project as a whole it can be a bit overwhelming... but if you break down each individual step of it and are confident that you can do each one then it's really not that tough. I did lots of research and bought them from a reputable ebay seller who was referred to on tons of forums. Probably the greatest and most helpful eBay seller i've ever dealt with, answered all my questions and concerns... his chinglesh surprisingly wasnt even bad! I've handled and seen Oracle lights first hand and these things were spot on identical, fired them up and man are they bright! I understand you get what you pay for but there's no way to justify an 800% upcharge between Oracle lights and ones for China when I could pay someone 100 bucks to spot the difference and I'd still have my money at the end of the day. And during my research I found just as many horror stories about the quality of Oracle leds as any other brand. I bench tested these things for a whole week, running them for hours and hours on end each day and no failures, that's when I felt better about moving on with the install. These things are sturdy and well built.

My tipping point was when I was researching what controller to use for my future halos. I really wanted to use my phone with them and fell in love with Oracles wifi colorshift controller that work wirelessly with your phone... but the dang thing was $200 bucks... no way!! Did some research and a week later I had the exact same controller at my doorstep from an American eBay seller for $50 bucks shipped! Hooked the remote up to an led light strip I had and its been flawless. If they upcharge you 400% to order a chinese controller and call it Oracle then what else are they pulling your arm on?? One member on another forum brought this up to AAC asking why the spike in price when identical can be found much cheaper, they replied that is was because they offer faster shipping and local product support... not worth paying quadruple if you ask me. Proof below of the price gauge... not flinging pooh here, just some transparency and food for thought!

Oracle link:
ORACLE WiFi Multifunction LED Controller

Ebay link:
WiFi Wireless Controller Touch Remote for DIY LED RGB Strip Android Smart Phone | eBay

If you got the money, then I'd recommend Oracle any day of the week, you statistically have a better chance that route... but are you 800% more likely to have a perfect set of halos that last for 10 years??? I think not. God forbid 2-3 years down the road my eBay rings go out on me.... $50 bucks and a pissed off Saturday later and I'm back in business. So all in all, if your gonna pay someone $400-$500 bucks for install then dont do it for a $50 part, your already in the hole at that point so just save up for the Oracles. Buuuuut... if you do it yourself then whats to loose by saving around $800 bucks?? I'm not out to bash any of the companies that have been vital to the aftermarket modding scene, but I know for a fact that all you guys on this forum bust your butt for your hard earned money same as I do. I'm simply all about transparency and educated buying decisions. I'll have a detailed install thread up as soon as I'm done with step by step and lots of pics for you modders on a budget like me! :)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Are yours going inside the headlight Challenger5.7? Or are you doing the exterior mounted ones?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Are yours going inside the headlight Challenger5.7? Or are you doing the exterior mounted ones?
I at first considered outside the headlight but knew I wouldnt be happy if it came out cheap looking. So yes I am biting the bullet and installing inside. Been a fun little project tho if you got the patience. But also the colorshift rings are RGB 5050 SMD Leds that do not come with any protective coating unlike the white only eBay rings that are claimed to be 'waterproof' which have some kind of addt'l layer over the board the leds are printed on.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thank you for the advice and tip! But jeez $600 is a lot for just installation...
yup, but i wasn't going to spend my weekend trying to install these things only to have to buy a new set of headlights, so it was worth it to me :D

plus, having warrantied work is not a bad thing.

Holy freaking cow... I think for that kinda installation price, I'd buy a replacement set of headlights, install the halos, then swap them out with the existing, and sell those to recoupe some cost lol.
haha yeah, i thought about that route too. just wasn't feeling the install on this one :D

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$900 bucks is just crazy to me! I'm in the process right now of installing multicolor halos myself, will likely wrap up the whole headlight install tonight. I'm taking a bit of a different route and went with a set of eBay halos for $50 bucks + $25 for the fogs.... I could never personally justify spending close to a grand for halo leds... as cool as they look. I was skeptical at first and figured whats to loose? I'm a huge DIY type person so the install didnt really concern me too much, if you look at the project as a whole it can be a bit overwhelming... but if you break down each individual step of it and are confident that you can do each one then it's really not that tough. I did lots of research and bought them from a reputable ebay seller who was referred to on tons of forums. Probably the greatest and most helpful eBay seller i've ever dealt with, answered all my questions and concerns... his chinglesh surprisingly wasnt even bad! I've handled and seen Oracle lights first hand and these things were spot on identical, fired them up and man are they bright! I understand you get what you pay for but there's no way to justify an 800% upcharge between Oracle lights and ones for China when I could pay someone 100 bucks to spot the difference and I'd still have my money at the end of the day. And during my research I found just as many horror stories about the quality of Oracle leds as any other brand. I bench tested these things for a whole week, running them for hours and hours on end each day and no failures, that's when I felt better about moving on with the install. These things are sturdy and well built.

My tipping point was when I was researching what controller to use for my future halos. I really wanted to use my phone with them and fell in love with Oracles wifi colorshift controller that work wirelessly with your phone... but the dang thing was $200 bucks... no way!! Did some research and a week later I had the exact same controller at my doorstep from an American eBay seller for $50 bucks shipped! Hooked the remote up to an led light strip I had and its been flawless. If they upcharge you 400% to order a chinese controller and call it Oracle then what else are they pulling your arm on?? One member on another forum brought this up to AAC asking why the spike in price when identical can be found much cheaper, they replied that is was because they offer faster shipping and local product support... not worth paying quadruple if you ask me. Proof below of the price gauge... not flinging pooh here, just some transparency and food for thought!

Oracle link:
ORACLE WiFi Multifunction LED Controller

Ebay link:
WiFi Wireless Controller Touch Remote for DIY LED RGB Strip Android Smart Phone | eBay

If you got the money, then I'd recommend Oracle any day of the week, you statistically have a better chance that route... but are you 800% more likely to have a perfect set of halos that last for 10 years??? I think not. God forbid 2-3 years down the road my eBay rings go out on me.... $50 bucks and a pissed off Saturday later and I'm back in business. So all in all, if your gonna pay someone $400-$500 bucks for install then dont do it for a $50 part, your already in the hole at that point so just save up for the Oracles. Buuuuut... if you do it yourself then whats to loose by saving around $800 bucks?? I'm not out to bash any of the companies that have been vital to the aftermarket modding scene, but I know for a fact that all you guys on this forum bust your butt for your hard earned money same as I do. I'm simply all about transparency and educated buying decisions. I'll have a detailed install thread up as soon as I'm done with step by step and lots of pics for you modders on a budget like me! :)

Thank you so much for the tip. I am really considering doing this myself now because I am a pretty DIY person too, and i'll have my buddy too that is pretty handy to help me out as well. If possible could you attach some pictures of your finished product?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thank you so much for the tip. I am really considering doing this myself now because I am a pretty DIY person too, and i'll have my buddy too that is pretty handy to help me out as well. If possible could you attach some pictures of your finished product?
I promise you it is more than do-able if you got the patience, time, and basic diy skills. I put this stinkin mod on the back burner for the 5 years I've owned my challenger because of fear of doing it myself and cost of Oracles and professional install. Really glad I took the leap. I'll definitely put some pics up along with a walk through and I'll msg you once I do. Just got the headlights installed back in tonight along with the front bumper... Man these things rock! Lights up my whole garage. Just leaving the belly pan off for now until I have time to wrap up the fogs. Even my girlfriend was impressed tho, she thought I was crazy at first, now she wants them in her car lol. I got you covered if you run across any questions brother!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Challenger5.7 pm me the link to the headlights and fogs you found on ebay if youd be so kind!
Of course! Pm sent, anyone else who needs it let me know.

For the headlights I used 4 of his 158mm rgb led rings. Fogs I accidentally ordered too big and once I cut them open I measured the inside wall and found it was approximately 83mm in diameter so I ordered the closest size down which is the 80mm rings, they are in the mail now. Just msg the seller first with what your needing and he'll take it from there, really great and helpful guy. He put together a custom auction for me with all that I was needing. I'll do a write up once i'm all done, but 2 quick disclaimers if you go this route in regards to the comparison between these rings and Oracle rings:

1. At 158mm the rings will be a tad bit smaller in diameter than the reflector housing openings... so they will in essence simply fall through the opening since they are not able to touch the inner walls of the reflector housing. Now Oracle rings look to be a tad bit wider, I'm guessing around 165mm which allows them to be slightly wider allowing for the backs of the rings to make contact with the housing. This however is an easy fix, just something you can expect! I simply super glued then epoxied in a clear plastic bracket that hugged the inside wall of housing to give the back of the led rings something to fall onto. I made the bracket out that clear plastic stick that you twist to open window blinds. Its the perfect thickness so that once the led's lay up against it, you can't even see it... plus it's perfectly clear. Again, I'll type up more details on the process but just heads up, it's a quick fix just makes for one more step in the install.

2. The first thing you'll notice when checking out the ebay rings is the white support bar that connects the top of the led rings, this is the only physical difference from the Oracles. However this is yet again another quick fix! I confirmed with the seller that no circuitry actually runs across this support bar, simply for more surface area for mounting options most likely. However we don't want that unsightly bar in our headlight housing so I took the thinnest dremel cutoff wheel I had and made quick work of these bars. I'll post some closeup pics of where you can cut. Luckily you can see with the naked eye where the electrical pathways begin and end on the printed board. After two careful cuts your rings will have that clean horseshoe shape exactly like the Oracles.

Those are literally the only 2 differences between an Oracle kit for the Challenger and an eBay kit. Hope this info helps brother! :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.