Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am a police officer patrolling in a 2015 SXT, that the department seized from a drug dealer, and am wanting to be able to black it out at night. Unfortunately, with the halos, that's impossible. I went to a local Dodge dealership and they told me that nothing could be done shy of putting a kill toggle switch in the car. That seems a little odd to me since the computer can be manipulated to make other lights flash (check out SpeedTurtle on YouTube).
I've contacted another Dodge dealership and they asked me to bring the car to them to take a look. If you know anything that would help me help them, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jim

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,625 Posts
Reactions: Jdholl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all,

My main goal was to shut them off without cutting any wires. In a previous thread, someone had mentioned that they could be turned off, by Dodge, without doing anything more than a computer upgrade/flash. I was hoping that someone had actually had this done and would know what to ask for when I go in to see them this afternoon. I'll keep both of y'all's suggestions in mind and, if all else fails, I may have to explore them as options.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the responses,

Jim

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
So the orange turn signal halos can be programmed off but I highly doubt the white halos can because the sidemarks draw power from the same circuit which the body control module controls. Basically the dealership would have to program the BCM to send out a sub 5V signal and I don't think the OBD has that refined level of programming (but I would love to be proven wrong). You could potentially have an adapter that you interface between the headlight assembly and wire harness. Although the female connector would be hard to source.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I took it to the other Dodge dealership and they were under the impression that they were aftermarket halos. I guess I wasn't clear on the phone. Anyways, they simply pulled a wire and that is that....

Not the route I had wanted but they didn't ask before they did it. Halos are off, I can park in darkness, and all is good!

Jim

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
So, I took it to the other Dodge dealership and they were under the impression that they were aftermarket halos. I guess I wasn't clear on the phone. Anyways, they simply pulled a wire and that is that....

Not the route I had wanted but they didn't ask before they did it. Halos are off, I can park in darkness, and all is good!

Jim
Was the wire they pulled at the headlights or inside the car? Also do the sidemarkers still light up?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Duct tape!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was off drooling on a couple of Shakers they had on the lot and didn't watch. I believe it was under the hood but that is more of a guess than an educated response. The car is now totally blacked out when I turn the lights off. The dash lights still go full brightness (and cannot be dimmed with the headlights off) but I'm ok with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts